Bookmark and Share
Swingin' on a Star
Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".
The Folks Fly Home
02/18/2008, Bonaire

Mom and Dad flew home today so we spent some time onboard today cleaning up. We miss Mom and Dad already.

We have been getting to know the folks on Banjo next door and they are a wonderful couple. Diving nuts like the rest of us. They have given us several great diving tips and other local knowledge. Cruisers are general just wonderful folks.

Hideko and I have officially added Bonaire to our places we could live list. The island is quaint but not too deserted. There's a great place for breakfast in town, a solid pizza place, many wonderful restaurants with various cuisines, enough shopping options to get electronics, groceries and other stuff as needed (in particular fresh milk) and, of course, fantastic water sports. We're looking forward to testing out the Windsurfing and Kite surfing beachs. The island is not crowded at all (15,000) and get cruise ships far less freqently than most ports in the neighborhood. Best of all the people of Bonaire are friendly and kind.

Down Day
02/17/2008, Harbor Village Marina

We took a break today to help the folks get ready to fly back to California. We ate a goodbye dinner at Salsa which is a nice restaurant on the south end of town. Dinner is servied in the second story of an open air wood and palm frond building with a great view of the harbor. A lovely spot for a lazy evening with great food.

First Dive
02/16/2008, Windsock

The license plates here say Diver's Paradise. I must agree. The entire island is surrounded by a spectacular reef. The government seems well aware that this is perhaps the islands number one stock in trade.

Bonaire is a very environmentally conscious principality. No anchoring is allowed anywhere and they encourage environmentally friendly practices at every turn.

While you could probably jump in the water anywhere and go for a great dive they have established named dive sites all up and down the western coast of the island. They have also ensured that you have beach access to almost all of them.

The standard Bonaire dive trip involves renting a pickup with a tank rack in the back and diving your heart out. Any of the dive shops will swap your tanks out as fast as you can use them. You really don't need a boat unless your headed for Klien Bonaire or the rough east side.

On the down side if you like to dive off of your yacht you can only do so in the overnight yacht mooring field between town and the Harbor Village Marina. This is nothing to scoff at but there are a lot of great dive sites out of reach. You can only tie up boats under 36 feet in length on the dive mooring while diving.

We still had our beater van and the crew was ready to go diving. After checking over the free dive site guide we received at check in we decided to dive Windsock. Mom had been studying for her first dive and was ready to give it a try as well.

Once on the beach Pops watched the gear and the rest of us got the dive equipment ready. It was a nice little beach dive with easy access as the book said. Unfortunately for Mom is was not as flat as I had hoped when we got in to practice her basic SCUBA skills. Mom was a trouper though and completed all of the discover SCUBA skills and then went for a tour of the area.

It was a nice first dive but the last Mom would be able to get in due to her flight home coming up. We had a nice ride back to the marina talking about our first Bonaire dive and a good meal at the Argentinean restaurant next to the marina office.

Bonaire Island Tour
02/15/2008, Bonaire

We rented a Van today to drive around the island. It was a clunker and the key didn't work on any door except the back hatch. Sort of funny climbing in the back to open the thing every time we stopped.

Bonaire is a neat island and gave us our first taste of the fairly desert like ABCs. Lots of dry earth and catctus. They make fences out of cactus for heaven's sake (very effective that).

Our tour took us around the entire island. We saw flamingos in the north where park lands cover most of the area. The ruggad windward coast had beautiful rocky beaches and breakers along with cave paintings from the original pre colombian inhabitants. The south has Lac Baai, the famous wind surfing destination, and the lighthouse. The West coast has the slave huts and the main town of Kralendyke. A full and enjoyable day.

Harbor Village Marina
02/14/2008, Bonaire

We checked into the Harbor Village Marina today to make it easy for the crew to get ashore and see the island. The staff at the marina, and Bonaire at large, are wonderful and as friendly as any place you will find. It is a pretty nice marina and will make a good jumping off point for an island tour tomorrow.

Las Aves to Bonaire
02/13/2008, Bonaire

We had a six hour run to Bonaire in front of us today. Hideko's cousin Em was flying into Bonaire to meet us so we wanted to get there at a reasonable time. As wonderful as the Los Roques were I was completely taken by the Las Aves. Perhaps it was the simple fact that there are fewer people there. I always love the remote places that you can only really get to with a boat. I could easily spend a month here.

Hideko and I went for a short snorkel to look for Lobster but there were not any reefs close enough to the boat to go hunting in. The water is amazingly clear though and we were greeted by a turtle early in the morning and many fish swim about over the white sand bottom. At 79 degrees, the water in this neck of the woods is a bit chilly for us. Thin skin, I know, but we always like at least 80 and like 85 even better. It was refreshing regardless.

We left the anchorage at 10:30 Curacas time, which is a half hour in between AST and EST. The forecast was for big wind and seas even relative to the usual. Nothing dangerous of course but certainly a day where Hideko and I would have stayed put if we weren't meeting family on the next island. We also wanted to make sure that Mom and Pops got to see as much as possible on their trip to the southern Caribbean.

The wind was over 20 knots true all day but we were heading down wind so it was nice on the boat. We sailed along at 9-10 most of the day. It was the first day where I had to keep an eye on the waves coming from behind. Some were up to the bimini but fortunately they were not too steep. We were running off at a nice angle and generally stayed under 12 knots coming down the waves, with a few 15s in there once in a while.

A stream of squally cumulus was running in a continuous line out toward Bonaire much like it had on our way to Los Roques. This was my second time witnessing this phenomenon but this time it was threatening to get me wet. We stayed high on track waiting for a break in the frequently rainy dark spots. When we could wait no longer we jibed, cutting across for the southern tip of Bonaire.

We almost made it. The wind kicked up and the rain came down just as soon as we got under the clouds. It was over quickly though and before long we were rounding the flat southern coast of Bonaire. As we began to turn up wind it became apparent that things were getting more exciting in the afternoon. The wind was in the high 20s. Fortunately the seas flattened out quickly as we came in behind the island. We put in reef two with our wonderful new reefing setup as the wind climbed over 30. We rolled the jib in until just a scrap was left. Then I started to see 40s. Next gusts up to 50! Even our Margarita encrusted log was starting to spin. I was beginning to wonder how far this was going to go. It was just then that the Sea Princess decided to leave the dock.

Normally I try to stay well out of the way of anything approaching the size of a cruise ship. Even more so when I'm in conditions gusting to 50 knots. The problem was we had limited options with the sail trim, Hideko and I had things eased off so that the boat was only doing 10 something with a scrap of jib and a double reefed main. The Sea Princess also gave me no indication of where she was heading. She was turning, speeding up and always increasing our concern. I hailed her on 16 twice but received no reply. My only real goal was to find out where she was going so that I could make sure to not be there. We fell off a bit heading for Klien Bonaire, the little island that makes the entire inner bend of Bonaire a fairly protected harbor, and the Sea Princess kept coming at us. Just before I had to take more action the big hotel trundled off on a southerly course. It sure would have been nice if they'd simply let us know what they were planning so we didn't have to guess at how to avoid them.

As we reached deeper into the bay the wind calmed to the high 20s. This felt like a gentle summer breeze by comparison.

We tried to get a slot at the Nautico Marina where we had told Em we would meet her but they were full up. Nautico is basically a small dock out in the ocean. They have a couple of Manta charter cats on the two ends so don't look there for space if you are a cat. In fact I wouldn't recommend it regardless. Our next shot was the Village Harbor Marina. In retrospect this is the only real marina in Bonaire for non local yachts. They close up promptly though and we had no reply from them.

All of Bonaire is a no anchor zone so we went for the final option which was picking up a park mooring. In the end this would turn out to be our favorite place to be while in Bonaire. A pleasant neighbor in a dinghy from the yacht Willow helped us tie up to the unique Bonaire twin loops.

It was 17:30 by the time we were secure and I had told Em that we would meet her around six. So we quickly cleaned up and put the dink in the water to deliver the shore party. Roq stayed aboard while Mom, Pops, Hideko and I went to find the bar at Nautico Marina where Em would hopefully be waiting.

When we got to Nautico we realized that it really was just a dock. There was no bar (I had just assumed that all marina's have a bar, right?!). Fortunately there was a restaurant across the street with a bar. It Rains Fish is a fantastic restaurant with a nice bar and the hostess informed us that our relative had been waiting for us but that she was gone presently. However, her luggage was in the bar. After some recon down by the Nautico dock we found Em and our mission, short of eating dinner at one of Bonaire's famous restaurants, was complete.

It Rains Fish was booked for the night but we had a tremendous meal at the Tapas place just down the waterfront. As I sat there enjoying the food and the company of family, watching the people walk by on the strand of the busy little town of Kralendyke, I marveled at the fact that just hours ago we were snorkeling in a private anchorage in the middle of no where. Cruising is fun.

Los Roques to Las Aves
02/12/2008, Las Aves

We didn't leave the anchorage until 10:30 today. It was nice to have good light on the way out. As soon as we cleared the entrance to the island group we had a straight shot to Las Aves Barlovento (the eastern group). We were sad to leave the Los Roques and it is certainly on the list of places we'd like to return to and spend more time.

Winter is the windy season in this neck of the woods and it was certainly living up to its reputation. Chris Parker's forecast for this area (the ABCs) is typically "plus 3 knots and plus 1 foot" over the already brisk Venezuela forecast. We had good sized waves and winds in the twenties on the way over.

Half way across Hideko hooked a nice 12 pound Mahi Mahi. We eased the sheets but didn't stop the boat. I was worried that he would get off but we landed him and converted him into fillets shortly there after. A fish this size can feed a family of four for three nights.

We headed for the south side of the Aves reef complex and once running along the south shore the seas die off behind the reef. Much of the Las Aves are simply reef just under the surface of the sea. It is a beautiful place to marvel at. The largest islands are on the southern extent of the large arching reef complex and form the most settled anchorages.

As we cleared the western end of the southern islands we button hooked back around into the shelter of the reefs bay. This is another area where good visibility is a must on you first visit. We entered at 15:00 and were glad to have the good light not only to navigate by but to enjoy the amazing scenery.

There were two yachts in the deepest anchorage back toward the reef and a couple fishing boats at the entrance to the island anchorages but we were all alone when we dropped the hook in the largest of the three bays nestled into the mangroves.

Ave is bird in Spanish and the islands live up to their names. In particular the red footed boobie is here in force. My Aunt Hanna is a big birder and I wished she was with us to see the spectacle. Sea birds of all kinds fill the trees and the air. You can hear them squawking and cooing all day but surprisingly it is a very peaceful anchorage by night.

We barbequed Mahi Mahi for dinner and enjoyed the crystal clear water as the sun set. Someone set a fire on one of the western islands just before sunset and it seemed to be raging out of control by night fall. Perhaps they were clear brush around the little airstrip. Perhaps not. It burned for several hours providing us fireworks to go with the incredibly starry sky.


Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs

copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved