Bookmark and Share
Swingin' on a Star
Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".
The Panama Canal Yacht Club
03/26/2008, Colon

The Panama Canal Yacht Club is the old school hang out for yachties in Colon. It is right next to the train station and close to town, but you don't really want to go to town in Colon. The yacht club is a little tired feeling and I think I would only choose it if Shelter Bay was full up. That said the food is better with a wider selection than Shelter Bay and it is much easier to get to Panama City from the PCYC. Shelter Bay is far from everything and on the other side of the locks (add 0 - 1 hour) as well.

The Panama Canal Railroad
03/25/2008, Panama Canal

Well we are back down to a crew of three (counting Roq). Margaret left yesterday and Em left today. Both had early flights and because Shelter Bay is so far from everything, and because you have to cross the Gatun lock which can add an hour, both left at 3AM.

Hideko and I went with Em to Panama City International this morning. We took the Panama Canal Railroad back to Colon to see the sights. The railroad only takes passengers from Panama City to Colon at 7:10 AM and from Colon to Panama City at around 5PM. It is a nice historical type train trip with great views of the canal.

The Gamboa Resort
03/24/2008, Gamboa

The Gamboa Resort is situated in the Rain Forest along the Panama Canal. The lodge is built in an area that used to house US canal workers years ago. It is a very nice looking place with tours of the jungle and the canal as well as nice grounds of its own.

The Admeasurer
03/23/2008, Shelter Bay

Happy Easter!

Well I guess the Canal is a 24/7/365 operation. The Admeasurer showed up on Easter at one in the afternoon.

We measured in at just under 50 feet, which gets you a $600 ish rate. Then the Admeasurer saw our USCG documentation that said 50. They can not record less than the documentation. This cost us another $250. :-( It is good to have a boat that measures 49' 11". The canal and some marinas put a serious tax on that last inch.

We received a little Panama Canal ID card that stays with the boat for the rest of its life making future transits easier.

The New Panama City
03/22/2008, Panama City

We took a tour of the three Panama Cities today.

The original Panama City, Panama Viejo, is little more than a pile of stones and mortar east of the modern Panama City. The pirate Henry Morgan sacked the original Panama City in 1671 and it subsequently burned to the proverbial ground. He sailed up the Rio Chagres from the Caribbean side and marched the final bit over land. Unfortunately for the city all of the defenses were aimed at the Pacific Ocean.

The second Panama City is known as the Casco Viejo and was built on the peninsula just west of modern Panama City. This was quite a place in the hey day of the canal's construction. The canal passes right along the old city's west bank. While there seem to be some efforts to bring the old city back, and it does have its quaint patches, it is mostly impoverished and in disrepair.

The new city is fairly modern and packed with tall buildings. An expansion project is underway to fill in a large swath of the Pacific Ocean on the west side of the water front highway. It seems a place where you can get just about anything, but like most big cities, has its good areas and its bad areas.

When the canal expands in 2014 it is certain that the importance of the city will grow.

Panama Canal Railroad
03/21/2008, Panama Canal

The Panama Railroad is an important part of the modern Panama infrastructure. The railroad was built by Americans and completed in 1855, over 60 years before the canal, while Panama was still a provence of Colombia. This path was used by many US east coasters to reach the gold rush in the Amrican West without having to brave the lands of the North American Natives. The railroad moves many containers between Panama City on the Pacific side and Colon on the Caribbean side each day.

Volunteer Line Handler
03/20/2008, Panama Canal

As soon as we arrived in Colon, I set out to try to find a boat on to which to be a volunteer line handler. This is a common strategy for cruisers going thru the canal for the first time; go through first on someone else's boat as a line handler to 'learn the ropes' (literally). This way I could do a better job in caring for Swingin' on a Star as one of her line handlers in the transit.

I needed to find a boat within a day or so, was quite shameless in trolling for a ride. Got a lead on a boat that was to leave the next day, and pretty much ambushed the owners as they were in the harbormaster's office to clear out. Andy and Melissa were very kind and agreed to have me come along even though they already had enough line handlers. Of course, they knew nothing about me, nor I them, and I hadn't even seen their boat. But that's all part of the adventure, right?

It worked out great all the way around. The morning we were to leave, a couple of their other line handlers backed out of the trip, so I was able to step in for one of them. A Brit named Ian filled the other slot.

As we backed out of the slip, we had to dodge boats, divers, floats and lines that were setting up the mechanism that would flip boats for the Bond movie.

We picked up our advisor, Meza, over in the 'Flats' that evening. He was great. Our boat, 'Spectacle' was the largest of the 3 mono-hulls going thru together. So we got to be the boat in the middle of the 3 boats that would go through the canal tied side-by-side. Meza was the senior advisor among the 3, and so in charge of the whole operation.

As we got close to the entrance, the time came for the 3 boats to raft up together. The boat to the right of us was from the Netherlands, with a Dutch and German crew. To the left was a French boat. This was our first raft up, and it did not go well. As our partners came close, the advisors told them to put their transmissions and helms in neutral. But... for some reason this didn't happen. There was lots of shouting in Spanish, French, English, Dutch and German as one of the side boats started to motor our raft around and right towards the bank! It was hard to cast off the heavy lines when they were under tension, but we managed it in the nick of time.

We finally rafted up and motored towards the first locks. Going thru the locks was amazing. The fact that it was night time made it even more surreal. After this first set of locks, we tied up for the night. The next morning, we took off around 7:30 to motor individually towards the 2nd set of locks. Motoring through the narrow short-cut that only yachts could get through was like a mini-eco-tour. We saw monkeys, sloths, and toucan in the lush rainforest we passed through.

When the time came to raft up with the other boats for the second time, we expected that it would go much more smoothly than the first time. Wrong. This time the boat on the left came in way too hot, and the advisor's directive to the skipper to put his engines in reverse was ignored. We thought. The line-handlers bravely tried to tie up the 2 boats anyway. But the inertia of a heavy, 45 ft boat won out, and again we had to abort. Afterwards, the skipper to of the other boat became indignant with Meza and the other advisors for telling him to put his engines in reverse when he came in too fast. Because...he HAD no reverse. This sparked another international shouting match. Finally we got the raft back together, and transited the rest of the locks without incident.

After a pilot boat came to pick up Meza, we headed to the Flamingo Harbor Marina. Unlike the laid-back cruiser vibe of Shelter Bay Harbor we'd just come from, Flamingo is more of a mega-yacht harbor. As we approached, I used the binoculars to check things out and noticed a largish blue motor yacht anchored outside between us and the breakwater. It's hard for me to judge the size of a boat from a distance, but I noticed that this motor yacht was carrying a sailboat. Not just a dinghy, but a keelboat. So I started counting the spreaders. One, two, three, four! Later, Randy looked up the motor-yacht, 'Le Gran Bleu' on line and discovered it's one of the 5 largest American-owned yachts at 354 feet. The sailboat she carries is 74 feet long itself!

We tied up around 3:30. I quickly thanked Andy and Melissa for their hospitality, and ran to catch a cab for the bus station. I'd been warned that Colon is not a safe town, and especially to stay away from the bus station. Since I don't speak Spanish, and was traveling alone with a good amount of cash, I really wanted to avoid it or at least get there before dark. Of course, the Colon bus station is exactly where I ended up... wandering around after dark, unable to find a free cab (busy holiday). D'oh! Randy and I agree that there was only one thing that kept me from a well-deserved mugging; the bad-guys must have smelled a police sting operation since I must have looked like such easy bait. Finally I snagged a cab. The driver had no idea where Shelter Bay Marina was, and all I had was a copy of a nautical chart of the area. But we figured it out together, and before long I was back at SoaS, enjoying a cheeseburger.

Going through the canal was a great experience, of course. But I'm sorry that I didn't get to do it on Swingin' on a Star with Hideko and Randy!


Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs

copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved