Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Digital Media - Music/Movies/Pictures

02 October 2006 | Agua Dulce
Randy
We had a good collection of CDs, DVDs and pictures to pack. I spent many hours mp3ifing all of our CDs in preparation for our trip but we still wanted to bring the CDs as backup. The DVDs are just too big data-wise to go onto a hard drive (someday soon though...). We have tossed all of our CD/DVD cases and packaging to save space (hard to do on some of the special edition stuff).

During our pack session Todd stowed our CDs (music licenses now really) on wooden dowels with rubber bushings on either end. I don't know how to throw them away without either destroying them (time consuming and difficult) or having someone steal them (stealing music is a crime!). We have a lot and they're heavy. I may try to put them in storage at some point.

We put our DVDs in big Body Glove (appropriate, no?) zip up folders. We have a few tools that have been useful with the DVD collection. We use Collectorz.com to catalog our DVDs. It is great software and now integrates with Media Center (which is nice if you keep your movies on the hard drive). If you have a lot of DVDs it lets you keep track of them and easily pick a movie that you're in the mood for.

http://www.collectorz.com/

We also have some region "management tools". All DVDs and DVD players have a region code. If the region of the DVD and the player don't match the player will not play the DVD. This includes your computer's player. The studios use this scheme to ensure DVDs are released in regions per their wishes and in some cases to manage format issues. If you think about this for a minute it doesn't make a lot of sense for folks on a cruising yacht. We purchased a universal player (does PAL/NTSC and plays all regions) which worked ok but it didn't fit in the boat's stereo cabinet.

We have switched to the computer for non region 1 (USA) stuff. The tool that de-region-ifies the DVDs on the PC is called AnyDVD and is available at SlySoft.com. They are in Antigua (to avoid the MPA no doubt). It is a great tool but you can easily see how it could be used to unscrupulous ends (stealing movies is a crime!).

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Printed pictures don't stand up too well to the humid tropics. We use digital cameras nowadays but we have many old photos we don't want to part with. Thus we went on a scanning spree. It takes a while to scan a pile of photos. Once digital though we get to see them much more often (screensavers and what not) it is easy to send them to others at the drop of a hat over email, and you can use them as s digital library for web stuff and whatever. We have been scanning picture prints in as groups to save time.

If all of your media is digital you need a good backup strategy. We have an pair of external 500GB hard disks, each with a copy of all of our media and data. We plan to keep one ashore and one on the boat, swapping them every now and again.


[BeginSoapBox] Stealing digital media (be it artwork, software, movies, music, or console games) is easy but it is still a crime. Do you want artists to continue creating? I think we all do. Don't steal. [EndSoapBox]
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved