Bookmark and Share
Swingin' on a Star
Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".
Opuhohu Bay
07/10/2008, Moorea

After some final preparations and running through our 50 item checklist we were set to head out at about 7AM. Our friends on O'Vive helped us get off the dock and we motored out of the docks with one prop for the last time (he said with fingers crossed).

We checked in with the harbor master on the way out of the harbor on channel 12 and he cleared us to exit the pass. On the way in it was a little slippery with maybe 3 knots of current but we were close to slack on the way out. There really wasn't any wind out so we didn't even bother to put the main up though we had the bag unzipped optimistically.

Ferries seem to run non stop from Vaiare on the east coast of Moorea to Papeete. The big catamarans leave quite a wake. We motored close in around point Aroa to enjoy the beautiful coastline of Moorea. The reef around Moorea, like Tahiti, creates a narrow strip of lagoon around the entire island. Some dolphins came to visit as we made our way along.

We passed beautiful Cook bay on out way to Tareu pass. The pass was easy to enter and after clearing the well marked reef we made our way back to the east to anchor behind Point Vaipahu. This is said to be one of the most beautiful anchorages in French Polynesia, and that is saying something! It is certainly striking and the water is transparent.

Once anchored up everyone jumped into the inviting water for a snorkel. Nobu and I checked the anchor and explored the barrier reef a bit. Hideko made a wonderful lunch. Pabs and Lou got their snorkeling chops back in line.

After lunch Nobu, Hideko and I installed the replacement prop on the port side drive leg. Hideko put blue loctite on the bolts topside and Nobu ferried them down to me where we both worked on things with SCUBA. The loctite will stay on for the trip if you protect the bolts from the current on the way down. I could tell it was working as I tightened the bolts up and saw a small bit of blue goop squeezing from around the bolt head.

We made sure that the shaft seal was still good by checking the sail drive oil and then gave it a try. Everything was working perfectly. She backed and moved forward just like in the old days. We will be carefully checking things underwater after motoring for the next several weeks of course. We don't plan to haul out for another year.

We got some good use out of Shooting Star in the afternoon taking everyone on a tour of Opunohu Bay. It is a beautiful bay surrounded by spectacular mountains coated in greenery. I gave it a shot a couple of times but we couldn't get up on a plane motoring into the wind with the five of us aboard. That said, Shooting Star made good way in displacement mode.

We wrapped up the day with the Swingin' on a Star version of Steak Frites. Hideko had picked up some great steaks at the market before we left and I grilled them on the BBQ while Hideko made the fries in the galley. We served it all up with a tasty Béarnaise sauce and some wonderfully fresh green beans. We enjoyed the end of a wonderful day with glasses of Beaujolais and heated game of Mexican Train Dominoes.

French Polynesia
Preping the boat
07/09/2008, Tahiti

We had planned to head off to Moorea today. The boat was a long way from being ready for sea however. The city dock is not a place to try to keep you boat clean. We ended up taking the entire day to prep the boat.

Pablo, Nobu and I re-stitched the trampoline shock cord, which made the feel of the tramps much more enjoyable. We washed down the decks stowed everything below and finished up some business on the Internet.

The port captain requests you check with them prior to heading to Moorea, and we had to pay our bill anyway. By noon the wind was up and that pretty much settled it. We would stay one more night and leave at first light. I considered putting our port prop on here but the water quality is just too nasty. With a new monohull to starboard (and a nice Moody 64 at that) and our friends on O'Vive to port, I was not comfortable trying to make an exit with one prop and 15 knots of breeze pushing the bow around.

Hideko and I decided to hit the Heiva again while everyone else relaxed. The second night was troop performances and choral music. The troop performances include drums and sometimes other instruments with Polynesian dance in a story telling format with various groups of men and women and mixed dancers. There were solo dancers and singers and often choral bits. Hideko enjoyed these performance the most out of everything we saw over the two nights.

The choral singing performances were interesting as well but a bit repetitive and long. I would love to listen to the music while working or doing something else but it is a little slow for me as a point of focus at the end of the day. Curiously the performers are all seated with the exception of the director. The women also place their chins in their left hands forefingers on their cheeks. I'm sure there is some cultural significance to all of this but I will have to do some more research before I know what it is.

French Polynesia
Heiva Tahiti
07/08/2008, Tahiti

We used our last day with the car to visit the big Ace Hardware and the Nautisport chandlery. The Ace is well stocked but the chandlery is a little more modest. Not bad, but similar in selection to a Budget Marine or Island Water World. We picked up a spool of shock cord to replace the threadbare lot precariously holding our trampolines in place and some lures among other things. They also directed me to a man named Christophe who handles rigging, sails and canvas. He speaks fluent English and has the battens we need.

We ate lunch at a place called 3 Brassueres (sp?) on the water front. It is a brew pub with some very tasty freshly brewed beer and great cheese burgers.

The Heiva takes place in an open air stadium just south of the Quai, an easy walk. We attended the opening night tonight which consisted of the contestants for best individual dancer, male and female, in Tahiti. They had a Kava ceremony at the start of the show. The costumes and music were fantastic of course and the dancing was equally impressive. I do not understand how the girls get their lower anatomy to move so fast.

There is an Italian restaurant on the way back to the Quai with a wood fire pizza oven where we stopped for dinner after the show. We arrived at 10PM, their closing time, but in typical Polynesian style they welcomed us. It was the end of a perfect evening.

French Polynesia
Hiking the Peaks of Tahiti
07/07/2008, Tahiti

We went to the farmers market this morning. You can find a huge selection of fresh fruits, vegetables, fish and other meats here. We purchased some freshly ground beef, pork, corn on the cob, pamplemouse, oranges, bananas, dill, parsley, spring onions and much more.

The markets here are also fully stocked. I love French countries for many reasons but the food is certainly one of them. We have fresh milk for the first time in a while, lots of yummy cheeses, good steaks, etceteras.

After a lazy morning we finally piled in the car at around noon ready for a repeat of our search for the Belvedere. With the help of various folks on the street and a sign here and there we finally made it. The drive is incredible. You spend quite a bit of time winding along a single lane road going up at a fairly steep angle with sheer drop offs on either side. The vistas are fantastic. We had to back up once for a quarter mile to find a spot to pull over to allow another car to pass. The road was so steep that Nobu and Pablo had to get out and push to get the little Citroen going again. I was in first gear for the entire last half of the drive.

The restaurant is situated high above Papeete and provides breathtaking views of the lower areas of Tahiti and her reefs and lagoons as well as a lovely outlook on Moorea. If you get lucky and visit on a day without clouds on the horizon you would no doubt be able to easily see Huahine and Tetiaroa.

Hideko and I shared a wonderful lunch of cheese and steak fondue. The food is a little expensive as you might expect but if you order the right things it is also very tasty.

After lunch we decided to explore the mountains above the Belvedere. The Belvedere marks the base of the trails that lead to the tops of three progressively higher peaks, the last of which, I believe, is the tallest on Tahiti.

This is not a hike to take lightly! You first make your way up to a French Military training facility with lots of obstacles and physical training structures, a sight in and of itself. This leads you to the trail head and things are all dirt, rock and roots from there on. We passed a three cable bridge over a deep ravine (part of the French training setup) and, bearing right followed the trail up into the hills. Shortly thereafter you confront two hillsides with ropes hanging down to assist you in mounting the rise. This would be even more tricky to navigate if it had rained heavily recently.

We hiked on for about three hours. We weren't even close to the first peak. At point where we decided to turn back to ensure that we would have enough light to get down we were still a ways off of the first of three vistas. It was still well worth the effort. We hiked across ridges with stunning views of both the interior valleys and the waters around Tahiti. As we gained elevation we could see the bands of habitat change from hardwood to pine forest and then on to ferns and moss in the upper elevations where the clouds shroud the hills in moisture most days.

This hike would be my number one recommendation for sights to see on Tahiti. Not only is it great exercise but you will not see more of the natural beauty of the island any other way. This hike has it all, vistas of the lagoons and sea, waterfalls, sheer peaks and pinnacles as well as all of the varieties of plants and trees.

French Polynesia
The Tahiti Museum
07/06/2008, Tahiti

We rented a car today and took a ride around the island. After leaving the boat we walked into town and a kind gentleman helped us locate the Le Truck to take us to the airport. The Le Truck is a, well, truck. They have converted the back of the truck into a covered but open seating area and you pay about 150 francs by day and 200 by night to go just about anywhere. They are locals, not express, in function and stop a lot but are fun to ride and allow you to make friends with the Polynesians you may find yourself sitting next to.

At the airport we rented a little Citroen with room for five from Avis. With full insurance and fuel it was about $150 per day. Not cheap. I used my US license and did not need to produce an international driver's license as I have heard some agencies require.

We set out to circumnavigate. Our first stop was the Tahiti and her islands museum. It is a great museum and really gives you a nice overview of the Polynesian history and culture. It is all in French with a little bit of English translation on most exhibits but still a must see. A lot of surfers ride the break off of the beach at the museum and there is a nice park there.

As we drove around the island we realized just the view from the car is an attraction. The road around Tahiti is very scenic especially if you turn off often to enjoy the coastline or take a random road up into the hills to enjoy a vista. The grottoes and waterfalls right along the coast on the south side and the Marea (ancient sacred Polynesian site) up the hill near the main road are all fun to see.

We drove by Port Phaeton nestled deep in the natural bay formed between Tahiti Iti and Tahiti Nui. It is the most protected harbor in Tahiti (perhaps Polynesia). The road is no more than a foot above water in some places.

We came around the north side of the island as the sun was setting. There is some construction going on in this area and the roads require more care to navigate safely. Many surfers worked hard to get a ride on the less than optimal breaks along the coast here.

We had planned to eat dinner at the Belvedere high up in the hills above Papeete. After an hour of driving around in the heights a pleasant man informed us that we were on the wrong mountain. We still had great views of the islands. We packed it in for the day and had another yummy dinner at the Roulottes.

French Polynesia
Le Roulottes
07/05/2008, Papeete

We decided to setup the pasarelle today. The Quai is fairly high and it is tough for some of our crew to get up onto the dock. We dropped the dink into the water between the hulls and tied it to the dock. Unlike Little Star, Shooting Star can't pass under the bridge deck. Too bad because it would be fun to explore the lagoons around here.

I trimmed our main halyard after setting up our new rig in Grenada so it will no longer reach back to support the pasarelle (it being two part). We used the topping lift this time which worked great allowing us to control the ramp from the cockpit and without the unnecessary overhead of the two parts.

The ramp made getting on and off the boat a breeze. We watched with good humor as others climbed across their dinghies to get to the dock. We almost gave our boarding ramp to George in Exuma just because we didn't expect to use it much and it is big and fairly heavy. We are very glad we kept it. We don't use it often but it is so handy when we do.

We went to the Le Roulottes area just down the Quai for dinner. Roulotte means caravan and there is a park where ten or twenty of these mobile eateries show up daily to serve every kind of cuisine you could want. In particular you will find crepes, steak frites, chow mein, pizza, along with other Chinese, Polynesian and French delights. Most things in French Polynesia are expensive in comparison to US prices but the Roulottes are the most reasonable place to eat we have found.

French Polynesia
Happy Fourth
07/04/2008, Tahiti Quai des Yachts

It doesn't feel like the fourth of July here, but it does feel pretty good. We woke up this morning in Tahiti (!) the center of all life in the Southeast Pacific. You feel like you're right in it when you're on the Quai, and you are.

The Quai des Yachts is a dockage service right in the middle of town run by the harbormaster. It is reasonable as marinas go especially for a catamaran (no extra fee for the second hull). We were paying about $1.37 per foot with a flat rate for all the power 20ish a day) and all the water you want. Water was about $2 a day but we didn't use power. A one time fee of about $10 for trash is also charged.

The Quai is setup for boats to come in stern to with messenger lines tied off on the dock for you to pull up the bow moorings with (no need to drop an anchor as used to be the case). The docks are floating to handle the whopping one foot spring tide range. There are gates at the end of each dock but the one closest to the pass doesn't work so you just reach around to open it. That said I didn't have one minute of concern for the security of the boat even when everyone (except Roq of course) was ashore. To quote our friends on Free Spirit (introduced to us from Crete by Zia Later), "there's no safety and security net here because you don't need a safety and security net".

The Qaui could be in a better location. I see cruisers from Marina Taina or the anchorage there taking long dinghy rides or renting cars just to go to places we can get to in a 2 minute walk. I also looked at the pollution levels posted at the harbor masters office and while I wouldn't swim in the port (!) the water in the anchorage is not so good either. There are few places in the lagoons of Tahiti with a water purity rating in the top two categories (sad I know). Go to Moorea if you want to swim. The one down side is that there is a bit of a sewer smell in the area of the Quai sometimes. It usually doesn't reach the dock closest to the pass though.

Power here is Euro in every way except that it is 60 Hz. This is great for American boats because voltage and plugs are easy to adapt, but cycles are not. We didn't plug in while we were on the dock because we didn't have a Euro connector and didn't get around o finding a store that had the right stuff to build a pig tail. It was so sunny that we made lots of power with the solar and we were off the boat most of the time so e didn't use much. I had to run the genset for a short bit every other day (I'm writing this on 7/11 in Moorea and we're still running on the fuel from Ecuador).

We spent most of the day getting through all of our mail and West Marine goodies that Pabs and Lou brought. Pablo came through customs unscathed (no charges) carrying an 18 inch - 30 pound bronze folding prop, line holders for our coach roof, a new mother board for our Spectra water maker, emergency sail repair tape, four marine smoke detectors, three Westerbeke pressure caps, dinghy outboard lock, new stripe decals for the boat, some DVDs and a pile of other stuff. Pablo is of Columbian heritage but looks a lot like a Polynesian when you think about it. They were the last ones off of the plane but one of the gate attendants walked them straight by the x-ray machine to the front of the line at the customs office. I guess I need to work on my tan and get some tattoos.

I had to run around a bit during the day to knock off some high priority tasks. I checked us into the Marina and country at the customs/immigration/port captain/marina office located just down the Quai past the tourism office. The French officials are courteous but still very "official", inquiring as to who the person standing next to you is and that sort of thing. The Polynesian officials are just wonderful, friendly, helpful and a pleasure to deal with. They collect the fees just the same but they make you feel welcome rather than anxious to get out of the building. Luck determines which you get I suppose.

Hideko, Nobu and I cleared in for the standard 30 days. Hideko and I needed to extend however. This required a tip to the post office to buy two 3,000 xfp stamps. Return these stamps with you passport to the immigration lady and an additional 60 days is a guarantee. How to stay longer we have not yet ascertained.

Next I picked up tickets for the Heiva Tahiti. Heiva means having fun and this is exactly what the Polynesians do during this annual dance, music and culture festival. Unfortunately the government didn't fund the country wide festival that was supposed to go on this year so it was just the Tahiti performers. Typically, every four years all of the archipelagos come together in Tahiti to compete. On the off years the Marquesas, Tuamotus and Australs have their own Heiva as do the individual islands of the Societies. Many locals I talked with were unhappy that the country wide festival was not taking place so I imagine it will be reinstated.

The Heiva tickets were sold at a book and office supply store called Odyssey in the middle of town near the large red steepled church. This is a great store with tons of books. Almost everything is in French but you can find a few things in English or take the opportunity to improve your French!

I spent a lot of time talking boats with Dave on O'Vive. It was great to share tips and see how another owner of the exact same boat has done things. Dave has done a great job with O'Vive and she has a lot of great custom systems which Dave has installed. Dave also hooked me up with the best Wifi Internet carrier which allowed me to check Gmail for the first time in a month or so. Ug.

It was a good day of running errands and catching up with civilization. Everyone went different directions today but we are all looking forward to the Heiva tomorrow!

French Polynesia

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs

copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved