Bookmark and Share
Swingin' on a Star
Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".
Navigation Diving
07/16/2008, Moorea

Hideko and I kayaked to shore to pick up some baguettes for breakfast this morning. They were all out when we got there though so we came back empty handed. Fortunately Nobu had made some delicious pancakes when we returned.

Nobu did his navigation dive for his advanced open water certification today also. We did the first bit at the big boat, measuring his fin kick distance and timing his progress as well. Then we went out to the dive site on the reef and did some more skills. It was a nice dive with a maximum depth of 90 feet. We went the opposite direction from the last trip and saw some interesting reef formations in the deeper water. The black tip reef sharks were about and a remora tried to attach to Nobu and I for just about the entire dive. He couldn't seem to get suctioned onto our wet suits though.

Another beautiful day in paradise, but alas we need to head back to Tahiti to wrap up some boat business and prep for our trip out to Bora Bora tomorrow. We began breaking down all of the toys and inflatables in the afternoon, rinsing and drying things off so that they can go back into their assorted bags and lockers. We wrapped up the day with LotR Two Towers and another yummy pasta selection.

French Polynesia
Day Off
07/15/2008, Oponohu Bay

We took the day off today and just relaxed on the boat. If was a nice day though sometimes cloudy. It is amazing to just relax in such a beautiful place and marvel at the scenery.

O'Vive and their entourage of about 8 other boats left for Huahine at the end of the day for an overnight. At the end of the day we had a nice pasta dinner and watch the Lord of the Rings extended edition. Doesn't get much better...

French Polynesia
Kayaking Cook Bay
07/14/2008, Cook Bay

Nobu and I took off this morning in the two man kayak. We headed to windward mostly so we could take it easy on the way back but also because we wanted to explore Cook's Bay. Our Kayak is a Clear Blue Hawaii with see through plastic in the foot wells so that you can see down into the ocean. After a couple of years on the road the clear plastic is a little fogged up but it is still useful for checking the bottom. The kayak draws about 4 inches with two adults in it so you can pretty much paddle anywhere that things aren't breaking through the surface. It also has little rubber strakes underneath which make it track pretty good. Not as high performance as a hard plastic job but the best of the inflatables and it is really nice to be able to fold it up and put it away.

We paddled up to the Sheraton resort and around the outermost overwater bungalows. The water was amazingly clear and the coral was simply vivid from the perspective of the kayak. We noticed lots of Polynesians out on the water enjoying themselves. I couldn't blame them but thought it was weird this being Monday, a normal work day. Then I remembered that it is Bastille Day. Like us, the locals were certainly making the best of it, enjoying the sun and the beautiful water.

As we rounded the point into Cook bay I noticed that, like Opanohu, it is a very deep and fairly wide bay with lots of room. Unlike Opanohu however, Cook Bay is pretty built up, with resorts and houses all along the waterfront. We paddled down to the Bali Hai resort on the east side near the end of the bay. It is a very traditional looking Polynesian resort, not as fancy as the Sheraton, but perhaps more authentic. The water in the bay is not as dazzling as the water out in the lagoon but it didn't seem to bother the many swimmers enjoying the beach and bay.

Some pleasant folks directed us to the fuel dock. I had been wanting to check the fuel dock out because it is getting to be that time. If I can fuel in an un-crowded paradise for the same price as Papeete I certainly will. Unfortunately, as best as my limited French could tell, they only pump gasoline on the dock. The Mobile station has diesel but there was no one around to ask if it could be had on the dock so we just headed back.

It was a three hour paddle round trip and a great work out. I think Nobu needed about three minutes to recover while I needed about three days. No mind, when we returned to the boat we set about using the forward halyard to swing over the rail and drop into the water for a bit. Shortly thereafter we got out the bong (10 foot diameter giant inner tube with a trampoline on it). We got to play on it for just a few minutes before the cruiser kids in the anchorage came and took over.

Shortly thereafter Dave on O'Vive came by and invited us to go diving. We were planning a dive ourselves so we happily joined the group. Hideko, Nobu and I buddied up in a group of about 10 cruisers. Just northeast of the Opanohu pass there are two blue dive moorings. We all tied up to the moorings and dove up current and back. It was a nice dive site with lots of coral (it is of course a barrier reef) and we had a wonderful visit from a fearless turtle who inspected Nobu very closely. We saw a black tip reef shark and lots of other fish.

It had been a great and very active day.

French Polynesia
Pabs and Lou leave Moorea
07/13/2008, Oponohu Bay

We made Eggs Benedict with croissants instead of English muffins (of course) this morning for breakfast and spent the rest of the day snorkeling. Pablo and I went all the way up to the Sheraton and then warmed up on the hotel's beach. The reefy bits running all along the shoreline provide ample entertainment. We saw a large variety of fish and invertebrates and even a school of tasty looking two foot long Blue Fin Trevalley. Nobu ran across a Manta Ray and we had a Green Turtle visit late in the day.

It was a slow last day with some rain here and there. The skies cleared though when it was time to take Pabs and Lou ashore. Teiva had helped us arrange a cab ride from the beach landing to the airport (3,000 xfp). We got a sim for our cell phone in Papeete and are glad we did. Unlike the Caribbean where you need a new sim every island (country) and the coverage is often poor, we have had great luck with our cell here on both Tahiti and Moorea.

We took Pabs and Lou ashore around 4:30PM so that they could make their 5:45 hop to Tahiti (7 minutes flight time) and eventual 10PM red eye home to LA. It was sad to see them go, it was as if they had just arrived. They seemed to enjoy their trip though and it was heart warming to see them after almost two years.

French Polynesia
07/31/2008 | Pablo
Dude! That flight out of Moorea was a trip. It was such a small plain and it was packed. I didn't thin we'd get off the ground. 7 minutes on the dot and 4 hours at the Tahiti airport Lou and I just browsed around the shops. Lou bought herself a mother of pearl necklace, very pretty and she got me a wooden Tiki necklace. Folks here at work tripped out when they saw how dark I got. Everyone that's seen your page here loves it. I'll have to make plans to see you guys again in a couple of years. Next trip for Lou and I is Colombia to visit my parents and then head to Boston to meet my half brother and sister that live there. Oye!!! More plains... Geesh! Tahiti was a blast, thanks again! Miss you guys, love you guys!
Moorea Tour
07/12/2008, Moorea

We're still in Opanohu Bay and loving it. Moorea is a high island and we've had a fair bit of rain, especially high up in the mountains. The bays are murky as a consequence. Out in the lagoon behind the reef the water is shockingly clear and there's a mild current almost all of the time.
This morning we decided to explore the island. We took the dinghy ashore and beached it near the public park. The tide here is a foot max so we just pulled it up a little bit and tied it to a tree. It was a short walk up the road to the Sheraton. We ate breakfast (which was ok) and then visited the concierge. The woman running the desk was wonderful and lined us up with a 4x4 tour of the island for the afternoon and also booked our friends an Air Tahiti hop from Moorea back to Faa on Tahiti ($40 each) for their flight home tomorrow.

We spent the rest of the morning looking around the resort which is quite nice. They have a water sports shack and dive shop, a great pool, a lovely section of lagoon with wonderful beaches and coral as well as the obligatory over water bungalows.

Our tour was in the standard French Polynesian truck with seats in the back. Our guide Teiva was fantastic. We visited some of the Moorea Maraes, the distillery (tastings of pineapple rum and that sort of thing), the agriculture zone with fruits and flowers, the Belvedere (vista) with wonderful views of both bays, and several other interesting spots. We particularly liked Teiva's great liner notes and in depth knowledge of the places and culture associated with the island.

Back at the boat we finished the day with some home made chili in honor of Pablo's last day aboard. Pablo used to have me make chili for him back home on his birthday but I wasn't sure how I was going to fair ingredient-wise out here. I bought come peppers from a Chinese outfit at the market in Papeete hoping they would give me the kick I needed. The bag came with maybe 20 peppers. I chopped up one for test purposes and nibbled on a small piece. The 5 alarm fire that went off in my mouth reminded me of habaneras. I used two little peppers in the chili and all five of us were sweating.

French Polynesia
Rain on Moorea
07/11/2008, Moorea

The winter fronts usually pass just south of Tahiti but today the tail end of one seemed to affect the islands. At about 3AM it started raining and it kept coming down at a pretty solid pace until mid morning.

Not a problem for us though. We relaxed watched a movie, ate yummy pancakes ala Hideko and cleaned up the boat a bit. The sun was battling with the clouds by mid afternoon but it was hard to tell who was going to win.

We explored a little with the dink when the skies cleared a bit around 3PM. From the anchorage you can get to the dock at the Sheraton Resort situated between the two main bays. The Sheraton is a nice place to visit for drinks or a meal. There are stakes that you need to stay very close to, keeping them on the island side as you go back and forth. Stay well away from the bungalows and keep a good eye out for swimmers. There is also a channel behind the reef, also marked, that you can use to go between Cook and Opanohu bays. This one is a bit deeper but still sketchy for a big boat. There is a dinghy channel from the Sheraton out to the inter-bay channel but it is not marked and unless you can clearly see the sand patch cleared of coral I would not try it. The current can set you on the rocks pretty quickly.

We wrapped up the day with some snorkeling in the crystal clear water and a lively game of Mexican train dominos. Perfect.

French Polynesia
Opuhohu Bay
07/10/2008, Moorea

After some final preparations and running through our 50 item checklist we were set to head out at about 7AM. Our friends on O'Vive helped us get off the dock and we motored out of the docks with one prop for the last time (he said with fingers crossed).

We checked in with the harbor master on the way out of the harbor on channel 12 and he cleared us to exit the pass. On the way in it was a little slippery with maybe 3 knots of current but we were close to slack on the way out. There really wasn't any wind out so we didn't even bother to put the main up though we had the bag unzipped optimistically.

Ferries seem to run non stop from Vaiare on the east coast of Moorea to Papeete. The big catamarans leave quite a wake. We motored close in around point Aroa to enjoy the beautiful coastline of Moorea. The reef around Moorea, like Tahiti, creates a narrow strip of lagoon around the entire island. Some dolphins came to visit as we made our way along.

We passed beautiful Cook bay on out way to Tareu pass. The pass was easy to enter and after clearing the well marked reef we made our way back to the east to anchor behind Point Vaipahu. This is said to be one of the most beautiful anchorages in French Polynesia, and that is saying something! It is certainly striking and the water is transparent.

Once anchored up everyone jumped into the inviting water for a snorkel. Nobu and I checked the anchor and explored the barrier reef a bit. Hideko made a wonderful lunch. Pabs and Lou got their snorkeling chops back in line.

After lunch Nobu, Hideko and I installed the replacement prop on the port side drive leg. Hideko put blue loctite on the bolts topside and Nobu ferried them down to me where we both worked on things with SCUBA. The loctite will stay on for the trip if you protect the bolts from the current on the way down. I could tell it was working as I tightened the bolts up and saw a small bit of blue goop squeezing from around the bolt head.

We made sure that the shaft seal was still good by checking the sail drive oil and then gave it a try. Everything was working perfectly. She backed and moved forward just like in the old days. We will be carefully checking things underwater after motoring for the next several weeks of course. We don't plan to haul out for another year.

We got some good use out of Shooting Star in the afternoon taking everyone on a tour of Opunohu Bay. It is a beautiful bay surrounded by spectacular mountains coated in greenery. I gave it a shot a couple of times but we couldn't get up on a plane motoring into the wind with the five of us aboard. That said, Shooting Star made good way in displacement mode.

We wrapped up the day with the Swingin' on a Star version of Steak Frites. Hideko had picked up some great steaks at the market before we left and I grilled them on the BBQ while Hideko made the fries in the galley. We served it all up with a tasty Béarnaise sauce and some wonderfully fresh green beans. We enjoyed the end of a wonderful day with glasses of Beaujolais and heated game of Mexican Train Dominoes.

French Polynesia

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs

copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved