Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Dog Exploration

06 August 2008 | Bora Bora
Randy
Hideko and I have been having a true Bora Bora vacation. Thus when the alarm went off at 6:30 AM it took me a while to shake off the haze. Our friends from Rahula were still aboard and needed to get back to their boat in order to make good their offing to the Cook Islands. After checking the dinghy over everything looked set. James had already loaded Shooting Star up so we were off in short order.

The lagoon was a bit calmer this morning and we had drained the hull of the dinghy after our scuba dive outing yesterday. Shooting Star planed up with no problem and we shot off across the lagoon toward the yacht club.

After a fun trip around the north side of the island we cross loaded all of the dive gear and crew onto Rahula who had waited patiently on her mooring for our return. After a goodbye with hopes for a reunion down island I headed back out across the lagoon. Rahula was getting underway as I rounded the corner.

Back at Swingin' on a Star Hideko had made a nice breakfast after which we decided to take Roq on his first tour of Bora Bora. Roq had a nice trip around Fatu Hiva and a little jaunt around the harbor in Tahiti and Moorea but had yet to see Bora Bora up close.

He is getting to be an old boy and Hideko and I had to help him into the dink. Once aboard we motored around the motus in the area and explored the interesting cuts that separate the otherwise unified islets. The cuts go back part way or, in some cases, all the way to the barrier reef. We found some with still lagoons in deep water, others with super shoal sandy bottoms and still others with moderate depth and soaring coral heads. One had trickles of water from the breakers on the reef creeping in and the next had waterfalls of water rushing over the two foot drop between the barrier reef's shelf and the lagoon below. It was eerie and wonderful to see the ocean and the lagoon in one frame and with a couple feet of height difference. It is miraculous to think how independent the lagoon is from the massiveness of the Pacific Ocean all around it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved