Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

The Saint Regis Resort

11 August 2008 | Bora Bora
Randy
There are really no designated anchorages on the east side of Bora Bora. The entire area along the eastern motus is good with few exceptions. For good or bad the whole run of motus on the east side is either developed or being developed. The first opulent resort you run into on your way south is the Four Seasons (opening in September of this year). Next (a stone throw) is the Saint Regis. The Le Meridian follows and they must feel crowded as they were alone here for almost 10 years. Following that is the Intercontinental Motu and then some smaller spots such as the Eden Beach and a place I don't know the name of at the end of Motu Piti Aau.

Today we decided to move down between the Saint Regis and the Le Meridian. Our primary reason is that the bay allows you to get fairly close to the palms and has good protection from the chop farther out in the lagoon. The wind is hanging in the 20s and we wanted to find a good spot for the conditions. The bay is also beautiful with views through the rivulets to the barrier reef and the ocean breakers crashing beyond. The bottom is all beautiful sand and 8-10 feet deep almost all the way in.

We also picked this spot because we wanted to visit the turtle sanctuary at the Le Meridian and look up our friend Eleonore at the Saint Regis. Eleonore worked at the Nui when we were married there and she handled everything for us. We owe her quite a debt and we looking forward to seeing her again at her new hotel.

The Saint Regis has been open about two years and is our favorite of the hotels on Bora Bora after the Nui (perhaps that is a sentimental judgment although I don't think so). Service at the Saint Regis is certainly excellent.

The Saint Regis has a lovely dock and I have seen charter boats tie up there to take guest ashore for the Polynesian dance shows on Wednesday nights at 8PM. They have a wonderful beach bar restaurant, a great sushi place and a nice proper restaurant and bar with views of the sunset and tables out on the dock.

We shared a drink with Eleonore and caught up a little before she had to get back to her busy schedule. It was wonderful of her to take time out to see us and update us on the latest in Bora Bora hospitality. We had lunch at the Beach Restaurant and it was wonderful. The prices are of course astronomical, at least for us, due to the weak dollar. The food was excellent but at a price for two that easily cleared $100 sans booze (with desert though, of course).

We walked around the grounds admiring the lovely beach, gardens and spa. As we crossed over one of the bridges to the small islets that for the base of the over water bungalow network we saw an interesting sight. Three eagle rays were playing in the current flying in formation but staying stationary over the ground below. We watched them for some time, enchanted. We also spent some time on the barrier reef, which the Saint Francis adjoins and has a nice walkway to.

After a full day we returned to the boat only to find our private anchorage invaded by three charter yachts. It is said that if no one anchors there, no one will anchor there, but if someone anchors there, everyone will anchor there.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved