The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

A mockery!

26 December 2009 | Nova Scotia
One part of our refit, and the part that is most comfortably done when it's below zero, is the re-development of our instrumentation systems. This is turning out out to be a rather massive re-design of Northern Symphony's electronics as we try to simultaneously address several needs: (1) Our radar needs to be replaced as the old scanner has failed beyond repair, (2) we'd like to fix several of our instruments that developed quirky, intermittent behaviour during the Grand Scheme, (3) there are many things we'd like to have instrumented that were not included in our Grand Scheme system (tank levels, rudder position, engine monitoring, more weather data), (4) we want to move the instruments on the cockpit bulkhead to someplace over the companionway so that they aren't hidden by people sitting in the cockpit, (5) we'd like a comfortable all-weather watch-keeping station, (6) we'd take advantage of the capabilities of new-generation marine electronics and , (7) do all of this while re-using as much of our already-installed and correctly-functioning electronics as possible to minimize waste and cost.

The system that has been developing depends on constructing a new pod of instruments that will mount over the companionway. The instruments that are currently on the cockpit bulkhead will be moved to this pod and a new Furuno radar/chartplotter will be placed there along with a second autopilot controller. I'll detail the electronic wizardry in a later post but for now let's just say it's not for the technologically faint-hearted! The burning question, the one that had to be answered before anything concrete could be planned, was whether Anne (who is now the shortest member of our family) could see over the new instrument pod when she stands at the helm.

To answer this, I built a full-size mock-up of the new pod (complete with fake instruments scaled to actual size by Photoshop after copying pictures from the Raymarine site). Today we took the mock-up to the boat and put it in position. The Verdict: From the helm, Anne could see our bow roller! So, our fears about sight lines allayed, the design of the new instrumentation system can continue.
Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010