The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

Oh! The winds blow cold...

09 May 2006 | Eastham Creek, NC
Colin
We managed to get ourselves up and moving this morning and discovered that,the 10-knots of north wind was COLD! We were in full foulies with full fleece underlayers, hats, mittens...I think it was warmer in November! Of course, this isn't November and the difference became clear later in the day as the sun came out at last and the winds shifted and quieted.

Of course, they quieted just as we reached Pamlico Sound which is a nice, wide-open body of water where we had hoped to be able to sail. Instead, we just motored into 5-8 knots of wind that was right in our face. On the plus side, it was a smooth ride!

We're looking ahead at the weather for the next several days as we need to cross two large, shallow bodies of water that both have a nasty reputation when the winds are strong. Pamlico is now behind us, but we still need to cross Albemarle sound. The forecast for tomorrow is good, the next day is less so...So it would be nice to cross it tomorrow but that would make for a truly massively long day.....We'll have to see how the weather evolves tomorrow.

Even with a somewhat leisurely departure this morning, we managed to cover 75 miles. We stopped at an anchorage in Eastham Creek which we are sharing with one other boat. Of course, the day was not done when we had the anchor set: The PA horn that Evelyn went up the mast to duct tape into place when we were at Port Canaveral came loose again today. So, once we were anchored, we hoisted Evelyn up the mast again and she re-secured it. But wait! There's more! Having reached the number of engine hours for a fuel filter change and, since we may possibly have a very long day tomorrow, we also changed both our fuel filters and bled the fuel lines....all before supper!

The other major highlight of the day was Anne's success baking fresh bread from scratch while underway! It was hard to focus on steering with the aromas wafting up the companionway, but it sure was worth it to have fresh bread for lunch...

(35 17.846'N 76 36.370'W)
Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010