The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

And now for something completely different...

12 May 2006 | Norfolk, VA
Colin
So, here we are in Norfolk after an intensive push up the ICW and some people may be wondering, What's the rush? In particular, why would this family that chose to drive an under-powered sailboat UP the Saint Laurence river rather than be rushed through the Canadian Maritimes, who's been living a very relaxed, cruising-paced life in the Bahamas, suddenly start driving relentlessly for Norfolk? What's in Norfolk? The short answer is that our car is in Norfolk. Huh? Why the rush to get to the car?

The longer answer is that, while we've been cruising, I was interviewed for and have now accepted a new job...In Nova Scotia! In July I will become the Director of the Jodrey School of Computer Science at Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. Of course, this means selling our house, moving to Nova Scotia, changing schools, changing everything...So, we need the car to drive back to Minnesota where we will pack up our non-boat stuff and move it to Nova Scotia before returning to Symphony in early June to begin bringing her up to her new homeport in Mahone Bay.

It was very strange to wake up this morning and realize that I didn't need to do the engine checks, or study charts and weather. In fact, I probably won't drive Symphony again for almost a month! The lists of things to do and questions that remain to be answered continue to grow and we're all getting a little fidgety thinking about what needs to get done! Nevertheless, we're excited about the impending changes and to be getting started on this next phase...the routes, destinations, and traveling companions all change, only the trip remains constant.

During the next month, log updates will be sporadic and not terribly nautical but they will occur. With luck, Symphony will be underway towards new horizons by mid-June.

(36 50.977'N 76 18.885'W)
Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010