The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

We're Back!

26 June 2006 | Wickford, RI
Colin
We have, at last, returned to Wickford, Rhode Island which we left at the start of October. Many things have changed since we visited here last, not the least of which is that, instead of being our easternmost excursion into New England, it will now be the starting point for our extreme eastward journey to Nova Scotia!

This was a very long day but, once we got out of Branford Harbor, everything lined up to make it possible to come here in one long day without having to break it up into a couple of shorter hops. Getting out of the harbor was interesting....First, as we were preparing to depart, I noticed that the depth gauge was reading 4.5 feet. That was interesting as we draw 5 feet but, I hoped that the back of the slip where the keel and rudder were was deeper than the front where the depth sounder was. Fortunately, I was right. Then, as we started to motor down the channel, I noticed that the engine temperature was off the top of the scale! After a very fast docking and shutdown, we determined that the freshwater coolant was low (but no noticeable leaks) so we refilled it and got back underway....All this by 0630!

The winds turned out to be stronger than expected (15-20 instead of 5-10) so we motorsailed with them on our beam and thus were able to maintain almost 6 knots against the flood tide that was going the other way at almost 2 knots. This allowed us to reach The Race at slack tide. The Race is a place where all the water in Long Island Sound drains out and the tidal currents there can be ferocious. By arriving within 15 minutes of slack tide, we had a relatively smooth passage. The other advantage was that we had the entire ebb tide gush out of The Race behind us and push us toward our destination: Point Judith. By motorsailing aggressively and getting the current boost, we averaged almost 8 knots for the 25 miles to Point Judith! By 1930, we were tied up at the Wickford Marina and taking showers....Time to get some more sleep, preferably without getting sparkly dolphin stickers placed on me...

(41 34.651'N 71 26.996'W)
Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010