The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

Backyard cruising

02 April 2011 | Matanzas River, FL
We set off at dawn this morning after a quiet night at anchor. We kept going all day and have now left the lagoons of central Florida behind us. We are once again plying the creeks and canals of northern Florida. This starts to get into the parts of the ICW that I really enjoy because the waterway is lined with homes, some palatial and others very modest, and we cruise slowly through their backyards.

This being Saturday, lots and lots of people were out on their docks fishing, sunbathing, or just enjoying the day. There were also lots of families out on their boats and entrepreneurs to meet their needs, too!

Now, the astute observers in the crowd have determined that we seem to be heading north along the east coast of Florida, which is somewhat incompatible with our scheme to follow the Great Loop the wrong way around and go up the Midwestern rivers. This is one of those decisions we made so long ago that it no longer even a source of comment for us but, having not previously announced it in our blog perhaps I should do so! Having met a great many boaters who had come to south Florida by way of the Midwestern rivers, we were able to determine that trying to drive an underpowered sailboat UP the Mississippi during the spring was likely a bad idea. Certainly the currents are close to our hull speed and the prospect of covering hundreds of miles at barely one mile/hour over ground just wasn't very appealing....

So we are returning to Nova Scotia via the east coast. We'll retrace our steps as far as New York City, re-visiting some of our favorite ports and places and exploring others that we haven't seen before. From New York, there are several options and we'll see what happens between here and there before we make our choice. After all, we're cruising!
Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010