Sail Away With Sherpa

12 June 2012 | Marina Taina
11 June 2012 | Marina Taina
10 June 2012 | Marina Taina
08 June 2012 | Marina Taina
07 June 2012 | Marina Taina
06 June 2012 | Yacht Quay to Marina Taina
04 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
04 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
03 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
02 June 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
01 June 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
31 May 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
30 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
29 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
29 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
28 May 2012 | Overnight Sail, Kauehi to Fakarava, Tuomotus
26 May 2012 | At Anchor, Kauehi, Tuomotus
22 May 2012 | Underway-Nuku Hiva to Kauehi, Tuomotus
19 May 2012 | At Anchor Daniels Bay, Nuku Hiva

Tropical Breezes and Swaying Palm Trees

29 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
John
We anchored Sherpa right off the small town island pop. 700) on the NE side of the atoll, across from a church. Anchored directly behind us was the cruise ship Paul Gauguin, and I thought we were in a remote island, I guess not. Actually, Fakarava and Rangiroa, the two largest atolls in the Tuomotus, frequently get cruise ships because their passes are long and the channels are deep to accommodate them. From what I understand, these our the only two atolls where the cruise ships go in, though you can take a cruise on one of the supply ships which go to more of the real "remote" atolls. They have about 12 cabins, and while the ship unloads the supplies for the island, you are assigned a guide, and you get to explore the island. Seems like a good way to really get the local flavor without being on a small sailboat.

Fakarava, is mainly a dive oriented island. there are maybe 3 dive companies and 3 small resorts (4-6 bungalows). There was one restaurant outside of the resorts, but that was closed, I guess they ran out of food until the supply ship comes. We tried to eat at the resort, but we got a "pas possible", we think the same thing, they just don't have the resources to feed guests that are unexpected or not staying with them.

Fakarava is a UNESCO environmental site, which means that most of it is protected, which makes for some super diving. While we were there we saw the 3 or 4 dive boats go out every morning. Just snorkeling in the lagoon in 10 feet of water, the undersea life is amazing. You have to be careful w/ the outboard, as I almost ran over coral heads as you weave to shore.

There is one small market and a boulangerie, umm time for pastries and baguettes, ahh, wouldn't you know it, all sold out. The woman said, we have to get there by 6:30am to get bread before it is sold out. I'm finally realizing, the islanders rise and fall with the sun, and they get there before it gets too hot in the day. At least the ice cream stand was open for a Popsicle, that hits the spot.

The length of the town would be about as long as par 5 on a golf course, their is a post office, an infirmary, a nice grade school, and a few government buildings.

Tomorrow we go to the pearl farms.

John
Comments
Vessel Name: Sherpa
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Santa Barbara
Crew: John, Christina, Jonathan, Pete, Paul and other adventurers
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/t37sherpa/

Getting Lost by Finding Paradise

Who: John, Christina, Jonathan, Pete, Paul and other adventurers
Port: Santa Barbara