Sail Away With Sherpa

12 June 2012 | Marina Taina
11 June 2012 | Marina Taina
10 June 2012 | Marina Taina
08 June 2012 | Marina Taina
07 June 2012 | Marina Taina
06 June 2012 | Yacht Quay to Marina Taina
04 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
04 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
03 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
02 June 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
01 June 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
31 May 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
30 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
29 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
29 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
28 May 2012 | Overnight Sail, Kauehi to Fakarava, Tuomotus
26 May 2012 | At Anchor, Kauehi, Tuomotus
22 May 2012 | Underway-Nuku Hiva to Kauehi, Tuomotus
19 May 2012 | At Anchor Daniels Bay, Nuku Hiva

Laying around in Paradise

08 May 2012 | Marquesas-Hiva Oa-Atuona
John
I know what you are thinking, we are just laying around on beautiful white sandy beaches in the South Pacific, palm trees swaying in the wind, drinking tropical drinks and working on our tan. Couldn't be the furthest form the truth. Today was re-provision, re-fuel day so off we go, jerry cans in hand.

Getting supplies on a remote island is quite the experience. Here in Hiva Oa a supply ship comes in once a week, weather permitting, to resupply the island, this means everything, food, butane, diesel, gasoline.......The ship, named the Taporo IX, about 150-200 feet long comes in on Thursday. Quite the sight. The dock has been empty and quiet since we arrived, but come Thursday, all hell breaks loose. It seems like everyone on the island has something on the ship. After berthing along side the dock wall, the crew goes into action, there are two cranes lifting refrigerated units of the deck, while forklifts from inside the hull start driving out pallet upon pallet of supplies. We see pallets of water, Heineken, butane. Barrels of diesel and gasoline. It is a madhouse of activity. About 5:00pm after off loading their cargo, the Taporo shoves off, and it is a ghost town, the docks are empty, people have all vanished---Until next Thursday, then it starts all over again!

After consulting with other cruisers, we find out that in order to obtain more than 20 liters of diesel you buy it directly from the cargo ship, in 200 liter drums, so off we go. We find 2 other boats that want to split the barrel, so everyone gets about 15-20 gallons. We are not alone, the locals are doing the same. ship's crew fills the barrel, and then put it on a stand so it is on its side, with a valve and a hose we proceed to fill up all the jerry cans. Task completed! Oh, shoot, now we have to lug them back to the boat.

To obtain gasoline for the generator and outboard motor, there is a Mobil station near the commercial dock, they open at 8:00, yea right! The cars and trucks start lining up to obtain their 20 liters of the precious commodity. We are about number three in line. Well after watching a over a 100 cars and trucks get fuel, and after much smiling and Si'l vous plait's, it is our turn to get 20 liters per person, task done, darn, now we need to lug these back to the boat.

Nest task--reprovision fresh foods. The good news!! Supply ship means fresh food and supplies at the markets. Off we go into town to finish the last items before heading off to Fatu Hiva. Wouldn't you know it, raining like cats and dogs, sheets of water coming down. Should we go to the market or lay on the beach today :) Surprisingly, the markets are well stocked, fresh apples from Washington State, other frits and veggies, fresh eggs........most everything we wanted, except for maybe that maple syrup for pancakes and french toast. The re-provisioning goes well, after dropping about $250 for 4 bags of groceries, oh, and a case of Hinano, task done. Damnit, we got to lug this all down to the boat to, not from the dock, but from town a 45 minute walk away. Luckily, the tiki's were shinithough ng on us, as our friends on the Mason 44 Bob and Linda got a taxi, and were willing to share the right.

These cruisers are a pretty hardy group of people.

Maybe tomorrow we'll lay on the beach, yea right!!

John
Comments
Vessel Name: Sherpa
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Santa Barbara
Crew: John, Christina, Jonathan, Pete, Paul and other adventurers
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/t37sherpa/

Getting Lost by Finding Paradise

Who: John, Christina, Jonathan, Pete, Paul and other adventurers
Port: Santa Barbara