Sail Away With Sherpa

12 June 2012 | Marina Taina
11 June 2012 | Marina Taina
10 June 2012 | Marina Taina
08 June 2012 | Marina Taina
07 June 2012 | Marina Taina
06 June 2012 | Yacht Quay to Marina Taina
04 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
04 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
03 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
02 June 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
01 June 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
31 May 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
30 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
29 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
29 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
28 May 2012 | Overnight Sail, Kauehi to Fakarava, Tuomotus
26 May 2012 | At Anchor, Kauehi, Tuomotus
22 May 2012 | Underway-Nuku Hiva to Kauehi, Tuomotus
19 May 2012 | At Anchor Daniels Bay, Nuku Hiva

Hike to waterfall

19 May 2012 | At Anchor Daniels Bay, Nuku Hiva
John
Daniel's Bay, as it is referred to by cruisers, is located about 6 miles west from the bay of Taiohae. We upped anchor at 8am, and had it back on the seafloor about an hour later.

The bay is a picturesque anchorage, surrounded by a sandy beach on one side, and 1000 foot peaks on the other. We counted about 14 boats in the anchorage. We quickly put the dinghy in the water and donned our backpacks and hiking gear for the 2.5 mile hike to "the waterfall". The waterfall, is supposed to be the third tallest in the world, towering up 900 feet to the top.

The hike took us through a small village, where dogs, goats, horses and even a few cows wandered about. The locals houses, although quite modest, all seemed to have manicured landscaping around their house, hedges, fruit trees all laid out symmetrically. There is a fresh water stream that runs thru the center of the community, which must be water that comes form the waterfall.

The hike was not difficult, but you do need to negotiate a stream crossing a few times, mud and lots of rocks to hike over. The trail takes you deep into a canyon, that has green walls that go vertically straight up. Along the way you encounter rock pilings, which I believe are called Pai Pai, or ruins form a time past. The trail takes you through banyon trees, coconut treas. We emerged in an opening only to se the waterfall in the distance. Looking up at it almost makes you dizzy, as it is so high, and the clouds blow by so quickly, you could easily loose your footing. The water comes tumbling off the top of the peak, from this vantage you can see about half of the 900 feet fall.

We trek further to the base of the falls. As you approach the falls you can hear the roar, a sign warns of falling rocks and a bucket of plastic helmets is available to wear should one want to heed the warnings. The base is covered in ferns and lily pad type vegetation and you have to crawl through a cave to enter the the pool and the cascading waterfall.

Off come the shirts, backpacks for a much deserved and refreshing swim. The water is cool, and there is a swift current that circulates around the pool. From the bottom, you can oly see up bout 100 feet or so, as it is a sheer ledge where the water cascades into the pool. The walls of the pool have been carved out from thousands of years of water washing of the them. Well worth the hike.

On the return trip we are waved over by Monette and her husband to their home for a refreshing jus de citron drink. Her French is about as good as mine, but are able to communicate a few words, and learn she was born there. They proceed to offer us papaya, pamplemoose, breadfruit and limes, as well as sell us some for our trip. What a wonderful way to end our trip in the Marquesas.

Tomorrow morning, after a good nights rest, we will up anchor, and go into "passage mode". Next stop, Kauehi, Tuomotus.

John
Comments
Vessel Name: Sherpa
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Santa Barbara
Crew: John, Christina, Jonathan, Pete, Paul and other adventurers
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/t37sherpa/

Getting Lost by Finding Paradise

Who: John, Christina, Jonathan, Pete, Paul and other adventurers
Port: Santa Barbara