Tail of Two Cats

A big cat can be dangerous, a little pussy never hurt anyone.

02 June 2013 | Turks & Caicos Islands, Dominican Republic
25 May 2013 | Conception Island to Provo
24 May 2013
16 May 2013 | Exuma Sound
11 May 2013 | Staniel Cay
09 May 2013 | The Great Bahama Bank & Nassau
06 May 2013 | North Cat Cay
02 May 2013 | Miami, FL to South Bimini, Bahamas
30 April 2013 | Dinner Key Marina
22 April 2013 | Miami/Corpus Christi
22 April 2013 | Biscayne Bay, FL
15 April 2013 | Padre Island, TX & Miami, FL
09 April 2013 | Dinner Key Marina, Elliot Key
01 April 2013
27 March 2013 | Miami, FL
25 March 2013 | Dinner Cay Marina

Silks at Sea

24 May 2013
Liz Nail
Inspired by one of my best friends, Katie Bush, I brought my aerial silks and hardware along for the ride to rig on board the Fille de Joie. Prior to the voyage, Katie told me that she and her love Dan simply hoisted the apparatus from the jib halyard. Since the Fille has a furler for the head sail, I was curious how we would adapt our rig. Fortunately I'd forgotten that we have a spare halyard to fly an asymmetrical sail (this one's a Gennaker- a modern take on the classic gollywhomper) for down wind cruising.

Luck was on my side as I realized we had the perfect set up just waiting for me to take advantage of it. I used the spare halyard for lift and a spare line ran through the bowsprit, to hoist the fabrics and hardware while keeping it suspended out and over the trampoline. Oh what a rush, climbing the silks with the sway of the boat! The views are spectacular and it's amazing to be able to practice an art I love so much in such remote places.

There are, however, a few draw backs to aerial fabrics on a sail boat. First and foremost, we long for good wind, both at sea and at anchor. At anchor a nice breeze cools the boat off and keeps the bugs away. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to control the fabrics with strong winds. I've therefore found my practicing days few and far between, and have realized that I'll have to start taking lira lessons A.S.A.P. (suspended aerial hoop). It's a lesson I should have learned from our rig at Burning Man the last few years, but as Clavo and I dream more and more to live on our own boat, it's now become a priority. Oh well, though the days on the silks at sea are rare, I'll take the good winds any day and just enjoy every moment I get.
Comments
Vessel Name: Fille de Joie
Vessel Make/Model: 41' catamaran
Hailing Port: Dinner Cay Marina, Miami, FL
Crew: Isabel Harley, Deb, Tom, Liz & Clavo
About: A family of 5, we're crazy Coloradans with a Maryland and NW twist. Two couples, madly in love with unique, similar situations. Partners, family, lovers who brought in a beautiful cat to help sail this cat from Miami to the Virgin Islands.
Extra: Mother, daughter, Step Father, yahoo son in law and the CATS... Isabel Harley and the Fille de Joie. To complete the set, Jacque Wallace, the bangarang sister, will be here for a week, though we wish she was a permanent crew member.

4 crazy humans + 2 incredible cats = awesome

Who: Isabel Harley, Deb, Tom, Liz & Clavo
Port: Dinner Cay Marina, Miami, FL