29 October 2013 | Sag Harbor, NY
25 June 2013 | Sag Harbor, NY
18 June 2013 | Port Washington, NY
16 June 2013 | Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
13 June 2013 | CapeMay
13 June 2013 | Chesapeake
08 June 2013 | Washington DC
15 May 2013 | North Carolina
15 May 2013 | North Carolina
15 May 2013 | North Carolina
15 May 2013 | Florida and S. Carolina
01 May 2013 | Marathon, Florida
01 May 2013 | Dry Tortuga, Florida
09 March 2013 | Isla Mujeres
09 March 2013 | Isla Mujeres
20 February 2013 | Isla Providencia
06 February 2013 | San Blas Panama
06 February 2013 | Portobelo, Panama
12 January 2013 | Green Turtle Cay, Panama

zipline

23 January 2012 | las Hadas
ann
We had two zip line adventures this month. In La Cruz Dave got to zip lining with our friends from Grace. He had a great time, but before he jumped off the platform he had a moment of caution, but watching the eight year zip along steeled his nerve. He loved it, and I was a bit jealous.

As we were heading into Las Hadas, just north of Manzanillo, Serendipity asked if we wanted to join them on Anne's birthday present. They had arranged for zip lines. Our family joined the group - all thirteen. Kara had reservations, but she got dressed in the gear. She got up for the trial line, but her fear was too great. Other zip lines let you go in pairs, but not this one. I think Kara would have loved it, but it was a bit much to do all by herself at age seven.

Eleven of us hiked up to the first zip line. It was a steep climb, and we had to cross a net bridge, which was pretty tricky. One of the other kids started to voice reservations, and I was on the verge of offering to walk her back to the main camp, when Dave and Kara appeared. They came up to watch us zip. I watched eight people zipped - Anne was first, and couldn't wait to fly suspended over the treetops. With Dave their he could take the worried kids back to the base camp, so I had no excuse. I tried to tell him that he could take my place, but he turned a deaf ear. It was my turn. I let our guide Wally strap me in, and review the instructions. He asked if I was ready, and I said "NO!". Then Wally let go - he swore he heard yes. I hated those first ten feet. The tree tops were inches below my feet, and I was picking up speed as I fell down the arc of the cable. Then I was over the valley, and the trees were a hundred feet below me. I was going at maximum speed, and feeling light and fast. Exhilarating, exciting, exuberant - I was all of the ex- words, including excellent. I stepped up to the other three zip lines in anticipation, but none held the experience of the first. It was the highest, and the longest, but also the very special first.

The good news is that there are more zip lines in our future. There are quite a few in El Salvador. I guess this is the time to tell all that we are going to Central America this spring. We should be in El Salvador in the beginning of March. Our cruising life continues, with more sights, adventures and soul lifting sails.

Comments
Vessel Name: Taking Flight
Vessel Make/Model: Nordic Yachts 40
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington
Crew: David Rhoades, Ann Sutphen and Kara Rhoades
About: We are a family of three cruising in our Nordic 40 down the west coast of the United States into Mexico and Central America.

Taking Flight Adventures

Who: David Rhoades, Ann Sutphen and Kara Rhoades
Port: Seattle, Washington