Taranui Travels

2013 South Pacific Travels

14 September 2013
05 September 2013
01 September 2013
10 August 2013 | Musket Cove
07 August 2013 | Musket Cove
30 July 2013
28 July 2013 | Sawa-i-lau Island
24 July 2013 | Namena, Kubulau, Savusavu
12 July 2013
05 July 2013 | Kaoi Island

Savusavu

12 July 2013
Well here we are in the bustling metropolis of Savusavu. It's really just a busy little one street town with bakeries, internet shops, two grocery stores, freight companies, dvd stores, trinket shops, etc.. It is quite a yachtie hangout as there is a great marina with moorings and a restaurant/cafe, with showers, laundromat etc.. It is also a port of entry so boats can clear customs here. Tony has caught up with some of his new friends including the boat Batu (a couple from Reunion Island). The town is full of Indians which is a change from all the little villages we have been in contact with. We're still trying to figure Fiji out. Apparently 37% live below the poverty line but we suspect that these people live in urban areas (2/3s of the population). Those living in the villages have plenty of food. As an example of how fertile this place is even the spinach plant (belebele,) after you strip the leaves off you just stick the stalk back in the ground and it grows again. There are coconuts, papayas and breadfruit growing on trees. Taro and cassava grow easily underground. People seem pretty healthy although teeth are clearly a problem and no one wears glasses (don't need them? or can't afford them if they do?). There is internet connectivity everywhere, even when you least expect it. One of our hostesses in Vanua Balavu which is so far our most remote destination was on Facebook! It's really evident that Fiji is extremely dependant upon the tourist industry. There are resorts everywhere and they, of course, provide employment for a lot of Fijians. You can see how easily affected the economy is by the coups and the global financial crisis. Still can't work out exactly what the story on land ownership is. Fijian-Indians had not been able to own land but several Indian taxi drivers have told us they own their own homes and the land.
Tony is now dropping off the the laundry (luxury! at least we'll have one night without clammy sheets)and having a shower. Then we need to fill up the diesel which requires getting lots of containers filled and hauled out to the boat. He's got to fix the squeaky toilet handle and then if the coupling arrives from Australia fit that to the engine. Kath and Gildo arrive on Monday so we're going to have to tidy up our stuff to make room.
We're still enjoying incredibly comfortable temperatures and no mosquitos but no swims in this anchorage.
Comments
Vessel Name: Taranui III
Vessel Make/Model: Whiting
Hailing Port: Auckland

Port: Auckland