Taranui Travels

2013 South Pacific Travels

14 September 2013
05 September 2013
01 September 2013
10 August 2013 | Musket Cove
07 August 2013 | Musket Cove
30 July 2013
28 July 2013 | Sawa-i-lau Island
24 July 2013 | Namena, Kubulau, Savusavu
12 July 2013
05 July 2013 | Kaoi Island

Day unknown. from good ship Taranui

28 August 2013
This report blong Christine and Pamela
This report blong Christine and Pamela
Tony finding the bia blong yumi. Mi wantem Tusker (local beer).
Today we sailed from Havana harbour Efate to Undine Bay, with Annie at the helm. Wasn't as fast as the 10.3knots she reached yesterday from Vila but was quite a lively ride with winds reaching 30 knots. Now we know how to make Erin swear.
The yacht was leaning hard over dumping Erin's feet in the water. There will be no more sweeping in the Taranui as the broom was lost overboard, and nearly lost the oars and canopy.
We've just had a fresh dip over the side in an idyllic bay which is meant to be great snorkeling, tomorrow's adventure.
Stunning white sandy coral beach alongside our mooring. Will go ashore to check out the village/tourist accomodation for Tanna coffee. (We've become quite partial to finding a Tanna coffee at local places, missing our Meola Kitchen daily fix)

We flew into Port Vila on 16th, connecting with flight to Tanna. Here we were met by Rachel and Esso who drove us half an hour up the bumpy dirt road, through his village to their tourist bungalows in Central, the highest area of Tanna. A traditional thatched hut,with outdoor toilet/shower block, and a stunning view across Tanna to the volcano smoking away in the distance. Excellent food prepared by Rachel, wonderful family. Played soccer and volleyball with their kids.
Next morning Esso and Rachel, baby Ibrahim, two kids in back drove us to Lenakel, picking up and dropping people along the way. We went by the airport to try and see Martin on his way out, but alas no luck.
Our highlight of our time with Esso was a visit to a remote village, having a traditional celebration for the circumcision of a young boy. This was not for tourists, we were the only palangi's. Hundreds of people, dancing under the banyan trees, women dressed in traditional grass costumes with painted faces - wonderful rhythm as they jumped up and down and chanted.
We then headed towards Port Resolution our rendezvous point with a stop for the night at the Volcano. The volcano was an amazing experience, as Tony has described.

Tony and Barb arrived in Port Resolution bay as we watched from the "yacht club" on the cliff. Port Resolution village was very traditional and basic, but had a grass hut that served Tanna coffee. The people were extremely welcoming, bringing us pawpaws, limes and chokos (Christine can now eat chokos). They really wanted to trade goods, not money.
Barb left us and we spent two more days exploring the area before heading to Erromango about 60 N miles away. We had a fantastic snorkel finding large sponges, lettuce like reminisant of carltonware china. It was a beautiful day sail to Erromongo and anchored near the river mouth in Dillon's Bay.
Went ashore, after being greeted by an outrigger, we met several locals who escorted us through the village alongside the river to their school. Its a more progressive village than Port Resolution and has a strong community, focus on education. Tony came to their aid fixing the school generator and inverter, and advising on solar power.

From there we did a semi night sail to Vila with a full moon lighting the way, a stunningly glorious sail.
Tony managed wonderfully sailing with the two novices on board.
Arriving about 2am trailing our lures into town still not a fish in sight.(mind you the fish that got away is getting larger by the day) Saturday night was celebrations for the birthday boy, we had lots dancing and managed to keep Tony off the table tops.

Been a fabulous trip so far, great company, wonderful locals. Food yumi, markets a riot of texture, colour, people & chatter. Local language is wonderful (some examples in this text) Local name for bikini is "basket blong titi", etc.

Our time is fast coming to an end.

Been a great time, much enjoyed.

Tankyu tumas - Tony

Christine & Pam
Comments
Vessel Name: Taranui III
Vessel Make/Model: Whiting
Hailing Port: Auckland

Port: Auckland