The most visible project is the canvas. We worked with Gordon Redshaw, Island Nautical Enterprises
in St. Pete. Gordon visited the boat in July to discuss options and take measurements for quoting. The quote was eventually approved and the work ordered but nothing could not actually begin until the boat was rigged and the new mainsail on so that there would be clearance under the boom under sail and adequate headroom.
The outcome is outstanding! We cannot believe the visibility while underway, too. The final steps yet to be done is the crown and side handrails which will happen in January.
The canvas is stretched tight and the sewing is near perfect but the best part is that what we envisioned in July is reality now. At some point we may enclose the cockpit but not now. We highly recommend Gordon and his crew at Island Nautical but be prepared to be patient as a canvas project takes time.
The BIGGEST PROJECT of the month is the plumbing. Joe and Charlie ripped everything out in October, 2015. This is the photo of the old plumbing final resting place.
The funny part of this story is the plumbing is well traveled. It laid under the boat, went to Charlie's house, back to the boat, return to Charlie's and finally to the dumpster. Good thing we took lot's of before photos and Joe drew diagrams so new installation in Florida was a breeze (right!) Not going to bore you with lot's of photos but here's a few so you can get an idea of the magnitude of the month long project.
Crossover tank network
Deck washout pump
Old water heater - it leaked
New water heater platform installed
In the end every single piece of plumbing was replaced beginning at the thru hull fittings to the sink faucets. We added a cockpit shower and deck wash down pump. Along the way we found the water heater leaked, a holding tank had a crack (now repaired), and the new head that a customer gave us is missing an important part. The waste system hoses and y-valves go in next and it will be done.
While Charlie did the plumbing Eileen, the varnish queen varnished inside and sewed. The entire inside of the boat has been sanded, including the backside of the cabinets and inside the drawers, received several coats of sanding sealer, shellac and/or varnish. It looks great! (photos to come)
We also installed a manual windlass (exercise!), made and made a cover for it.