True Colours Voyage 2008 - 2010

25 October 2010 | Back Across the Atlantic, West to East
01 August 2010 | Last Stop before the crossing home
09 June 2010 | BVI's
17 May 2010 | Dominican Republic
09 April 2010 | Haiti
03 April 2010 | Jamaica, Cuba, Jamaica
12 March 2010
11 February 2010 | From Venezuela to the ABC Islands
14 November 2009 | Venezuela
01 October 2009 | Los Testigos
03 September 2009 | Grenada
05 August 2009 | Grenada
07 June 2009 | Wallilabou, St Vincent
28 May 2009 | St Pierre and Petit Anse D'Arlet
28 May 2009 | 15 52.0'N:61 35.4'W
14 May 2009
26 April 2009 | All over the place!

Jan and Ken visit

19 January 2009 | Grenada
On their previous visit to Grenada just over a year ago, Ken and Jan Mizen had arrived at Prickly Bay to find that, not only were their hosts Rog and Vicki nowhere to be seen but, horror of horrors, the bar had run out of rum. So, this time, knowing their flight was due in at 6.30pm the four of us were at the bar by 6pm to ensure history couldn't repeat itself. Well, by the time they arrived at 8.30pm we were all a little worse for wear and everyone knows that if two or more Hardway Sailing Club members meet at a bar it's not going to be a quiet evening......

After a swim ashore the next morning we caught a bus and walked along Grande Anse beach where we serenaded at a beach bar by a local musician with a naughty sense of humour. A stroll in the other direction brought us to the craft market where it took Fi about half an hour to get a glass of wine as the young man at the small kiosk it was bought from couldn't find a corkscrew. Ken was "feelin de rhythm man" of the music played by the band and danced with a floor mop, much to the delight of some of the local women, whilst Jan became embroiled in a friendly argument with the man who had served Fi as he was wearing a Chelsea football shirt and she supports Pompey. The rain came and the band decided to go so we moved on and after a pit stop to pick up some rotis (wraps filled with chicken, beef, fish, vegetables or whatever) we made our way back to Prickly Bay.

On Thursday we sailed to Woburn, only a few miles along the coast, and went ashore to the small fishermen's bar on the dock where the television showed football interspersed with the type of films "nice ladies" don't watch. The mood was happy and relaxed until our emotions were tested when some of the fishermen came back not just with the usual lobsters but also a live turtle they would kill with a view to selling it at a high price. Jan and Fi went for a walk to get out of the way for a while and, although we felt it inappropriate to protest as we have no right to tell other people how to live their lives and what is right or wrong etc etc, Dave did ask to buy it with a view to setting it free but couldn't afford the extortionate price asked.

Vicki and Roger had sailed around to join us and the six of us dined at the Little Dipper that night. I'm pleased to say only conch, chicken or fish was on the menu.....

After a walk and some snorkelling the next day we asked one of the locals at the bar, Pano, who had taken us to Hog Island on a previous occasion with Sue, whether he would take us back there to Roger's Bar in his "wiz boat". We were over there in no time and had a lovely couple of hours on the beach where a man with not many teeth and his funny little dog also joined in and a few photos were taken (see gallery) then Pano was back and after joining us for a beer sped us back to Woburn, but not before Jan had got us all to join in with a rendition of a song about Pano - "I am the music man, I come from down your way and I can play (what can you play?).............I can play the pee-an-o, pee-an-o, pee-an-o (Pano?!) much to his bemusement. We later decided that his surname is probably chocolat (pan au chocolat). After a quick change onboard we all met up and dined at Whisper Cover marina that evening.

On Saturday we caught a bus into St George's where we looked around the market and chatted with the stallholders. The rain was coming and going and one of the ladies became quite upset that Fi's dress was dragging on the ground and insisted she tied a knot in it, which Fi duly did. "No, too high!, too high! (I was showing about six inches of ankle by then), you must tie the knot lower - I do not want the black men looking at you!". Her name was Theresa and after Ken enquired what she was drinking from a small, clear plastic bag she took him by the hand and led him to the stall she had bought it (guava juice) from. We walked over the hill to the harbour and had a drink overlooking the water and then lunch in the Nutmeg. The rain was coming down very hard by now and we got soaked to the skin. As we were dining on board el vagabond that evening and had offered to bring pudding we went into the supermarket where we dripped around the isles looking for inspiration before boarding a bus with about 500 other people (or so it seemed...) and were steamed dry by the time we reached Woburn. We had been invited for dinner onboard el Vagabond and when it was time for us to go over to them in the dinghy it was pouring with rain. Fi and Jan decided the only thing to do was to take clothes in a dry bag and wear bathers and posh black plastic bag hats, tied with a peg. You will see the result if you look at the photos....

Dinner consisted of vegetarian moussaka accompanied by salad and home-made bread rolls (Mmmmmm, she's an accomplished chef is our Vicki) and lots of conversations we can't remember, resulted in us reaching our bunks at 3am!

Sunday was there already and time to say farewell to Jan and Ken as they flew on for holiday no.2 in Barbados. A couple of beers at the bar, the Spurs playing Pompey on the telly and it was time to leave in a taxi arranged by Pano. We went back to the boat, feeling quite sad and hoping it's not too long before we see them again, next time for longer.....
Comments
Vessel Name: True Colours
Vessel Make/Model: Nicholson 35
Hailing Port: Gosport
Crew: Dave Dog and Fi
About: Please call in from time to time and leave a comment (we're thick-skinned!) - makes it worthwhile if we know it's being looked at!
Extra: This Voyage has been and gone but we hope it may not be the last so watch out for us again someday....

True Colours

Who: Dave Dog and Fi
Port: Gosport
Hello there, thank you for visiting our blog - please come back often and leave us your comments (friendly ones preferred!)