True Colours Voyage 2008 - 2010

25 October 2010 | Back Across the Atlantic, West to East
01 August 2010 | Last Stop before the crossing home
09 June 2010 | BVI's
17 May 2010 | Dominican Republic
09 April 2010 | Haiti
03 April 2010 | Jamaica, Cuba, Jamaica
12 March 2010
11 February 2010 | From Venezuela to the ABC Islands
14 November 2009 | Venezuela
01 October 2009 | Los Testigos
03 September 2009 | Grenada
05 August 2009 | Grenada
07 June 2009 | Wallilabou, St Vincent
28 May 2009 | St Pierre and Petit Anse D'Arlet
28 May 2009 | 15 52.0'N:61 35.4'W
14 May 2009
26 April 2009 | All over the place!

Montserrat

14 May 2009
We sailed for Montserrat in tandem with Mi Dushi and arrived in Little Bay with a fairly lively wind coming over the mountains. It took three attempts to get the anchor to hold, by which time Mi Dushi were also there. After waiting a while to ensure we were well dug in we collected Angela and went ashore where we found the customs and immigration officers really friendly and welcoming - a refreshing change after the surly and officious manner of some of the Antiguan officials. We managed to get a lift to a supermarket for a few provisions and then walked back to the bay, unfortunately at a time when the construction site workers were driving home at breakneck speeds and using some dangerous driving tactics!

There is a lot of redevelopment around the area of Little Bay as it is fast becoming the new capital of Montserrat after the old capital, Plymouth, was completely destroyed in the volcanic eruption of 1995. We saw the effects of this on a tour with a local taxi driver Joe who, despite being mentioned in our cruising guide, was unfortunately full of self-importance, lacked a sense of humour, and was not particularly forthcoming with general information on the island. Nonetheless, we were extremely interested in the various sites showing the devastation caused by the erruption and also the visit to the volcano observatory where we saw a film showing dramatic footage of various stages of the eruption.

We visited the new cultrural centre, funded by George Martin, a former Beatles manager who used to have a recording studio on Montserrat where the famous could come and record without being in the public eye. He was helped in the campaign by numerous musicians who performed at a fund-raising concert, including Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits and Elton John.

We were given a talk with visual displays at an information centre showing how Montserrat and it's people (only half of the 11,000 population remained on the island after the erruption), are rebuilding their Country. The redevelopment will certainly give them a fresh start as well as a much-needed marina and new commercial dock. At present, the only means of landing freight is alongside an inadequate dock that can only be used at certain tide and weather conditions. As Montserrat is a British colony funding comes from the UK so it's refreshing to see our tax money doing something worthwhile for a change!

That evening Henk and Angela had a farewell supper with us onboard as they were headed north to St Martin's before crossing back over the Atlantic and home to Holland whilst we were heading south to Guadeloupe. It was very sad saying goodbye to them but we hope one day to take up their offer of visiting them.


Comments
Vessel Name: True Colours
Vessel Make/Model: Nicholson 35
Hailing Port: Gosport
Crew: Dave Dog and Fi
About: Please call in from time to time and leave a comment (we're thick-skinned!) - makes it worthwhile if we know it's being looked at!
Extra: This Voyage has been and gone but we hope it may not be the last so watch out for us again someday....

True Colours

Who: Dave Dog and Fi
Port: Gosport
Hello there, thank you for visiting our blog - please come back often and leave us your comments (friendly ones preferred!)