True Colours Voyage 2008 - 2010

25 October 2010 | Back Across the Atlantic, West to East
01 August 2010 | Last Stop before the crossing home
09 June 2010 | BVI's
17 May 2010 | Dominican Republic
09 April 2010 | Haiti
03 April 2010 | Jamaica, Cuba, Jamaica
12 March 2010
11 February 2010 | From Venezuela to the ABC Islands
14 November 2009 | Venezuela
01 October 2009 | Los Testigos
03 September 2009 | Grenada
05 August 2009 | Grenada
07 June 2009 | Wallilabou, St Vincent
28 May 2009 | St Pierre and Petit Anse D'Arlet
28 May 2009 | 15 52.0'N:61 35.4'W
14 May 2009
26 April 2009 | All over the place!

Les Saintes, Guadeloupe

28 May 2009 | 15 52.0'N:61 35.4'W
Despite waiting for a good weather window, we had an "interesting" sail of about 35nm down to Les Saintes. There were lulls of absolutely no wind at all for the first few hours, increasing to 30knots by the time we were halfway through the passage, and the E/NE forecast turned out to be SE'ly so the last 10nm towards Les Saintes were painfully slow with wind and waves against us. However, it was well worth the effort as we dropped the hook in a sheltered anchorage off the town with picture postcard scenery all around.

We immediately liked the island of Terre de Haut, again French as it belongs to Guadeloupe. The pedestrianised main street is very quaint with lots of little shops selling local crafts as well as lovely clothes, jewellery etc and every other building is a café or restaurant.

We spent the first few days relaxing and exploring locally. It's extremely expensive for the likes of us on a cruising budget (a family-sized packet of crisps is about £4!) so we only bought essentials and stopped for the odd beer.

We arrived on a Friday and over the weekend the town was quite busy with several small ferries bringing day trippers from mainland Guadeloupe but by Monday the town was quiet, noticeable mainly by the lack of scooters on the roads which can be hired from several shops and are the main mode of transport for locals and tourists alike.

We hiked up the hill to Fort Napoleon, a very impressive fort which has been restored and houses a museum which displays include the Battle of the Saintes, examples of the old Saintoise fishing boats and the history of fishing in the islands, and information on various other aspects of island life through the years. Outside are many plants, labelled for information, and iguanas live in the grounds which have stunning views over the various surrounding bays.

We walked to a few different bays on the island during the next few days, inbetween some much-needed admin and outboard repairs (well done Dave Dog!). One beach was reached by scrambling over some rocks for a few hundred yards, only to find that we could have reached it by road! Still, the snorkelling was worth it and we enjoyed the day. Another time we reached a small bay with only a couple of people there and had a lovely dip in the sea, just before it started raining. Back on board we made ready for an early departure tomorrow to head for Dominica.
Comments
Vessel Name: True Colours
Vessel Make/Model: Nicholson 35
Hailing Port: Gosport
Crew: Dave Dog and Fi
About: Please call in from time to time and leave a comment (we're thick-skinned!) - makes it worthwhile if we know it's being looked at!
Extra: This Voyage has been and gone but we hope it may not be the last so watch out for us again someday....

True Colours

Who: Dave Dog and Fi
Port: Gosport
Hello there, thank you for visiting our blog - please come back often and leave us your comments (friendly ones preferred!)