17 April 2012 | Anchorage, Alaska
Well, it is way past time to update you on our latest happenings. The past few months have been a whirlwind of plans made (and changed), boat work, tears, and major changes.
We worked hard on the boat going through all the lockers, and tidying up. The woodwork looks fabulous, and the stainless steel is sparkling once again. We hauled her out of the water for the usual bottom paint and zinc chores. Unfortunately, this time would be our final voyage on Tender Spirit. She has a "For Sale" sign on her and within two weeks an offer was made. The last of the surveys are being completed and paperwork is being finalized. It looks like this chapter of our lives is drawing to a close.
I write this with a sad, broken heart, but realize it is the right decision for us. We arrived back in Alaska a few weeks ago and have been busy building a new life for ourselves. I will be returning to my teaching career. I will be teaching at Point Hope, on the North Slope. Right now we are in Anchorage planning our summer travels. That's right, with every close to a chapter, a new one begins.
We originally planned to spend spring and summer in the big city of Anchorage renting a high rise apartment. It was on the 14th floor and located on the corner with great views of the mountains and Anchorage. We thought it would be something new to try that would give us a place to stay until we left for Point Hope, but as you know, all of our plans are written neatly at low tide for a good reason. Instead of paying rent and watching those funds fly away forever, we decided to go cruising, only this time, we will go with a pick-up truck and camper.
We just aren't good at looking out of a window.... and, well...watching the same view for the 717th time would get terribly boring in a hurry, and what about the rest of the day? So we hatched a new plan before we even moved into the apartment. We plan to explore North America by road during the summers and teach in the the winters. As we explore our own country, we may even find some property to do the "homestead" thing with a big garden, chickens and other assorted critters. Between you an me however, I doubt we can settle in just one place. We can't seem to agree on the perfect climate any more than we could agree on the perfect boat!
I will keep this blog up for awhile until I can get a new blog up and running for our new cruising plans. I finally have a decent internet connection to get started on this new adventure blog.
The weather is warming up and the record snowfall is slowly melting. We are waiting another week or two for a warmer weather window to leave Anchorage to explore by land.