Bookmark and Share
R/V Tender Spirit: Now Land Cruising
Join us as we discover new cruising grounds with our "boat" the RV Tender Spirit. Swallowing the Anchor doesn't mean giving up cruising!
May 7: Windy
05/06/2010, Off Shore Northbound to Fiji

Well,we are still getting blown around here. We are about 595 miles from Fiji,but are getting blown westward. We are all fine. The wind is still in the 30-35knot range from the ESE. Seas are E and SE with occasional surprises. seas are mostly in the 3 meter range. Nothing else has broken. We are sending for an update from Bob McDavitt, our weather router now. We are sailing though, with a reefed staysail, and the engine when we can, to give us a bit of speed. We are averaging about 3.5 knots. The winds are holding steady, but if they increase much more of if the seas give us any more problems we will heave to. We want to keep making some northward progress to avoid getting hit by the next low pressure that will move across North Island New Zealand eastward. Our barameter is slowly decreasing in the last 48 hours, and is at 2019. So, all is well, just hanging in there. Nobody has ever said this was an easy passage, so I guess we are paying our dues for visiting New Zealand!

2010 Northbound from New Zealand
05/06/2010 | s/v Ocean Blue II
As always we're following you, next year we will be doing the same passage. I am so proud of you guys!
05/04/2010, Off Shore Northbound to Fiji

We had a wee visitor yesterday. A very tired swallow landed on the boat and hung around for awhile. It seems that we wind up hosting a feathered friend for awhile on most of our passages. I did get a photo and will post it when we have access to the internet again.

The wind continues to be light and variable. We are making progress however with 738 miles to go. All is well on board.

2010 Northbound from New Zealand
May 4
05/03/2010, Off Shore Northbound to Fiji

The wind has slowed down to a southerly at 5 knots so we are motoring along at 4.5 knots. The seas are SE at 1 meter, with an overcast sky. All is well. The wind will be returning in a day or so, so we will enjoy these flat seas while we can! We have 840 miles to go.

2010 Northbound from New Zealand
May 3
05/02/2010, Off Shore Northbound to Fiji

We traveled 134 miles in the last 24 hours. Our current position is 32 25's, 175 53'E traveling on a course of 011, speed,5.5 knots. Weather is high overcast, light gusty, shifting winds mostly east at about 8-15 knots. we have the engine on now because between gusts, the sail is collapsing. We are very happy with our progress, and all is well on board. 940 miles to go. An albatross kept up company for quite awhile yesterday. Nothing quite perks us up more than watching those giant birds gliding so effortlessly. No flying fish yet. It is still cold, but as we head north, it will start to warm up. Pearl is starting to get her sea legs. She has a harder time jumping around the boat right now, but she is quick to wag the tail, and ready to play. We sure are happy to have her on board! She takes permanent watch snuggled up with whoever is napping.

2010 Northbound from New Zealand
Heaps of wind!
05/01/2010, Off Shore Northbound to Fiji

the wind has been keeping us busy in the last 24 hours! Its been in the 25-35 knot range. We are moving along at a great pace and have traveled 130 miles in the last 24 hours. It's a sloppy ride. We gybed...accidentally, and broke the eye bolt on the first reef. When the wind slows down a bit, we will replace it and be good to go. For right now, we don't need the main up and still have the 2nd reef to use. About eleven last night I looked down and saw a hose clamp....broken in the bottom of the cockpit. I just cleaned it out, but thought that it may have been left over from the mechanics last week. Well, an hour later, I hear something fall....two more hose clamps, and now the wheel assembly for the wind vane steering is rattling around....all the hose clamps had sheared off! So Chuck and I spent the next two hours weaving new hose clamps in and attaching it back on. It was quite the adventure because of course we are also steering, and it's blowing 30 knots, so it was quite the comedy show in the middle of the night, trying to get it back together. It's fixed and working just fine. Other than a couple minor repairs, all is going well. We are making good speed, and hopefully this will be a quick passage!

2010 Northbound from New Zealand
Left New Zealand
04/30/2010, Off Shore Northbound to Fiji

We checked out this morning with customs, bid goodbye to New Zealand, and headed off shore. We are making a nice speed, averaging a bit over 6 knots. The wind is boisterous in the 28-32 knot range. All is well on board and we are settling quite nicely. A pod of porpoises joined us for quite some time, bidding us farewell. The rain has tapered off, and now we are looking forward to some warmer temperatures. This passage is about 1100 nautical miles, so we should arrive in about 11 days or so depending on the weather conditions.

2010 Northbound from New Zealand
Arrived at Marsden Cove
04/29/2010, Marsden Cove, New Zealand

We are at Marsden Cove now. All we have left is to check out with customs in the morning. We will be sad to put the long white cloud in our wake, but very excited about cruising around Fiji! Marsden Cove Marina is a nice spot, but far away from town, so it is just a nice place to rest and finish last minute preparations. There is a fuel dock here, but it is 100% automated and decided it wouldn't accept any of our cards. So if you are heading this way, be sure to either get fuel at Town Basin, or have some New Zealand cash to hopefully trade with a local person with a card that works! We did this, and some trading using US dollars with another cruiser.

2010 Northbound from New Zealand
Last Minute Perparations
04/28/2010, Whangarei, New Zealand

We are finishing up getting the boat ready for the passage to Fiji. We have just some last minute chores and the stowing of provisions. It's hard to believe that we are already leaving New Zealand. We sure have enjoyed our stay here. The People are very special here and we will be leaving with an intention of returning down the road to explore more of the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Our weather window continues to hold promise so we have an appointment with Customs and Immigration to leave Saturday morning from Marsden Cove, which is at the mouth of the river. We were going to leave for Marsden Cove this morning, but didn't quite finish up so we will head out tomorrow morning with the tide and a couple other cruisers. We are all excited to be heading to warmer waters and new adventures.

As usual, we will be posting our progress here on the blog through the single sideband radio and also on Yotreps. My callsign is AL3I. We will also be checking into the Pacific Seafarer's Net. If you go to their web site, you can listen to the vessels transmitting their reports live. If you have a radio the frequency is 13400mhz starting at 0300 UTC (Universal time) with reports starting at 0330.

2010 Northbound from New Zealand

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Adventures of Tender Spirit
Who: Joan & Chuck
Port: Sitka, Alaska
View Complete Profile »
SSCA Members • 
SailBlogs Friends
 Brick House  Zen Carinthia Afrita Kena Julia Max Nine of Cups Zephyra Love Song Prrrfection  Hello World 
THANK YOU to all the people who have helped us along our way. We would not have made it this far without you! Your comments and suggestions are always welcome. ********************** ********************** web site hit counter ************************** ************************** MOON PHASE FOR THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE