Bookmark and Share
R/V Tender Spirit: Now Land Cruising
Join us as we discover new cruising grounds with our "boat" the RV Tender Spirit. Swallowing the Anchor doesn't mean giving up cruising!
Second Thoughts About Going North

Check out this new article about the debris from the Japanese tsunami:

This will definitely impact our plans concerning going back to the west coast through Hawaii or the Marshall Islands for the next couple of years.

2011 Back to Fiji...Part II
10/18/2011 | Raylin Martin
Hi Guys, Most of the deris from the Japanese tsunami is already in the middle of the North Pacific. The Kuroshio current that moves past eastern Japan does have afew eddies that counter flow back but from what I have read and seen from sat. photos show most of the debris already in the middle of the North Pacific. Remember the Kuroshio current moves rather swft around 2-3kts. So I would think you would not have to worry much about tsunami debris as you would just noramal junk in the water, logs, barely submerged steel shipping containers, sleeping whales... If I had my CT47 on the west coast and my body could do it I would buddy boat with you guys to go back home to Adak. As my boat is home ported in Adak.
10/20/2011 | Joan Martin
The tsunami debris is west of Midway Island and heading east. This path will directly intersect our northbound, mid Pacific crossing either through the Marshall Islands or Hawaii. We are thinking about skirting around it via Australia, SE Asia and north to Japan. We would then Island hop from the Kuril Islands eastward. We have lots of time to plan. Right now, we are focused on New Zealand.
Arrival at Suva
10/13/2011, Suva

We just dropped the anchor in Suva Harbor. We had a great passage. The wind was perfect, the seas flat, and a full moon all night to travel by! We did the 121 mile passage in 24 hours!

2011 Back to Fiji...Part II
10/14/2011 | Raylin Martin
I always loved sailing at night under a bright moon! Glad you had a good passage. My best to all three of you. :)
Leaving Savusavu
10/12/2011, Savusavu, Fiji

Well, we are ready to go to Suva. We took on the last of the provisions, and we have cleared customs in Savusavu. It looks like we've run out of excuses. All we need to do is hoist the dinghy, give it a good scrub and we're on our way. We decided to go directly to Suva because there is a blow arriving on the 17th. We want to be tucked in before it arrives. Our passage to Suva is approximately 121 miles. It should take us about 27 hours or less to get there. We have to finish up our paperwork with the Suva for veterinarian in preparation to entering New Zealand. We are planning to have the boat ready to go to New Zealand by the first of November.

The part that we ordered for the wind generator solved our problems. Now we have wind power again. We are still having troubles with our batteries, but we should be okay as long as we have alternative sources of power. We will replace our batteries when we get to New Zealand, again!

2011 Back to Fiji...Part II
Never Say Never
10/08/2011, Savusavu

I vividly recall saying that I never wanted to do the passage to New Zealand again. I think we were hove to, about 500 miles between Fiji and New Zealand. Well, we have made up our minds about where to spend South Pacific cyclone season. You guessed it. We will be sailing back to New Zealand. This decision was a difficult one for several reasons. The passage is no picnic, the Kiwi dollar has strengthened even more since we were last there, and the quarantine paperwork and expenses for the dog are challenging. With that said, we really loved New Zealand and we both regret not being able to spend more time touring the country. We hope that this year we will be able to better balance a trip to South Island with boat projects.
Chuck is back from Alaska. He had a great time visiting family, but a sad time after five funerals. He admits that he is ready to warm up.
We are busy now preparing the boat. We will be heading for Suva this week, depending on the weather. We need to get some paperwork signed by the government veterinarian. After that, we will be preparing for the New Zealand passage.

2011 Back to Fiji...Part II
10/09/2011 | Marcia
Hey You salty dogs (all 3 of you!) Maybe we'll pass you on the way to NZ & see if you could pass the Gray's Poupon! For us this will be our 7th passage to & from! WOW! Miss you! M & J on S/V Tracen J
Hindu Cobra Temple
10/07/2011, Labasa

These are photos we had permission to take of a lovely temple near. Labasa.

2011 Back to Fiji...Part II
Cobra Temple
10/06/2011, Labasa

Temple Photo.

2011 Back to Fiji...Part II
Cobra Temple
10/06/2011, Labasa

Devotees state that the cobra rock is growing. They have added an addition to the roof to accommodate this phenomena.

2011 Back to Fiji...Part II
Cobra Temple
10/06/2011, Labasa

Temple Photo. The priest with his bells.

2011 Back to Fiji...Part II

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Adventures of Tender Spirit
Who: Joan & Chuck
Port: Sitka, Alaska
View Complete Profile »
SSCA Members • 
SailBlogs Friends
 Brick House  Zen Carinthia Afrita Kena Julia Max Nine of Cups Zephyra Love Song Prrrfection  Hello World 
THANK YOU to all the people who have helped us along our way. We would not have made it this far without you! Your comments and suggestions are always welcome. ********************** ********************** web site hit counter ************************** ************************** MOON PHASE FOR THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE