Half Moon Bay to Santa BarbaraJoan
10/29/2007, Santa Barbara
October 30, 2007 Wow, what a passage! We had some great sailing from Half Moon Bay to Santa Barbara. It was probably the nicest trip we've done. Winds averaged 5-15 knots, except from Point Conception to Santa Barbara, where winds increased to 25+ knots. The sky was clear and the sun was warm. What more could a person ask for? We are anchored up and will decide this morning whether or not we spend one more night. This anchorage is really roly-poly! We got our opportunity to try out our new whisker pole. It performed beautifully. Bob, a friend we met at Bodega Bay showed us his set-up which has made deployment and retrieval very simple. Going down wind was one of our biggest weaknesses, thank to the whisker pole, we have solved that problem. Little by little, we are making this boat a great cruising machine. We now have most of our high priority items on board with the exception of a new jib, solar panels, and wind generator.
Final Preparations!10/26/2007, Half Moon Bay, CA
October 26, 2007 The weather continues to show promise for the next four days. Unless something unusual occurs, we will leave tomorrow morning. The last minute preparations are complete, and this is the time I start "pacing", going back over the route, checking on the tides and currents (negligible here, but a habit from years of navigating in big tides and currents). I also start stashing those little items that will be airborne later! Everything that needs charging is charging while we have shore power tonight. I learned my lesson, when the cell phone went dead trying to talk with a harbormaster. I also double check out on deck little things like cotter pins, lines in the correct locations. Tomorrow morning we will top off the fuel and water, get the main cover unzipped, halyard attached, and all the sheets ready. We sure have enjoyed Half Moon Bay. Right now there are two other Alaska boats in the harbor. It sure has been nice visiting with them. We especially enjoyed visiting with the commercial fishermen. The harbor staff has been great, and we definitely recommend this place for cruisers passing through!
Getting ready for the next leg10/25/2007, Half Moon Bay, CA
Well, we are storing our latest provisions, checking the weather, and getting the last "must complete" stuff checked of the list. A weather window is developing for Saturday, October 27. This looks like it will be our latest sailing date. We did get a lot accomplished at Half Moon Bay. The whisker pole is ready to go now. Yanmar parts finally arrived, and now the single sideband radio is up and running. So, are you curious about our trip from Bodega Bay to Half Moon Bay? And whatever happened to those plans of cruising San Francisco Bay? Well, here is the story: We left Bodega Bay, bound for Drakes Bay. The weather was decent, light south winds, with north swells averaging about 8 feet. The light winds on the nose were tolerable, but we spent the 5 hour trip mostly motoring. Drakes Bay is a large bay tucked around the corner from Point Reyes. The scenery was beautiful, pastoral with cows mooing in the fields and a couple of fishing boats anchored near a pier. The night started out fine, with no wind. We were anchored in 18 feet of water, the shallowest we have ever anchored. We are not accustomed to small 6-7 foot tides! The winds were supposed to shift to the west, but by 2am, it was blowing 15 from the south, and were were totally exposed to them. We sat up, listening to the weather and decided not to leave at 3am for San Francisico Bay, just lay low until the blow passed by. While were were setting up an anchor snubber, I continued to check on how we were holding. We started dragging at 4:00, going to 9 feet of water in just a few minutes. Up came the anchor, and we motored back and forth deciding on our next move. The weather report did not match our observation. The wind was blowing 18-20 directly into the bay. We had two choices, stay, hope that the wind would shift, or get out of the bay and make for Half Moon Bay. We had missed our tide window for San Francisco. We decided to leave. We knew we would get hammered in the ocean, but it sure beat getting washed up on the beach! The move turned out to be a good one, although it was the worst trip I'd ever been on. We had 14-16 foot seas from one direction, chop from another, and south winds on the bow gusting to 30 knots. We had 1/2 mile of visibility with heavy rain, most of the way and only found the freighters and other boats by radar. When we arrived at Half Moon Bay, I was never so glad to see a breakwater! It was also the first time I've ever been really seasick. Let me tell you, it was not fun! The weather continued to be poor for another day or two. We would have played anchor games at Drakes Bay for another 48 hours! We managed to get our West Marine parts by driving down to Monterey where we had them sent. While there, we visited the Monterey Aquarium and walked down Cannery Row. The aquarium was spectacular!!! I highly recommend it! We also made a trip back to Saulsalito, and did go over the Golden Gate Bridge. Not as exciting, but it was a beautiful day, and we drove around the city looking at all the beautiful buildings. We sure have enjoyed staying at Half Moon Bay. The Princeton Seafood restaurant does have a great crab sandwich!!! That is saying a lot from an x-commercial fisherman!
From Tender Spirit Log 8/23-10/02/2007Joan
10/02/2007, West Coast
From the log of Tender Spirit.
01/30/2007, Sitka, Alaska
We are working on getting all the immunizations that we will need. This is turning into a mini adventure in itself. After living in Bush Alaska for so long, it feels like I live in the city now. I forget in reality, Sitka is actually a fairly rural community. I had a great conversation with my physician. He is helping me put together a great medical kit, and also helping me acquire immunizations. It turns out that most of them have to be special ordered and will be quite costly. The cost is of course a consideration. I am just grateful that I started this process early because it looks like it's going to take quite a bit of time. So, I am finding it's never too early to get started sorting through all the requirements that will be needed clear into the countries we would like to visit. We will be tackling organizing the ships papers as well.
I Just Quit My Day Job!!Joan
01/23/2007, Sitka, Alaska
Wow, it sunk in the other day. I just quit my day job! The school board all voted to grant my request for a leave of absence. The reality is sinking in. I am actually following through to leave my career for awhile and start our circumnavigation. If my bosses ever read this, they will be happy to know how dearly I have appreciated their encouragement and support. This has been a difficult decision because they are such great people to work with. I doubt that I will ever find such a great situation again any time soon.
Beyond the Point of No Return!Joan
01/14/2007, Sitka, Alaska
I did it!
Happy New YearJoan
12/31/2006, Sitka, Alaska
Happy New Year!
Adventures of Tender Spirit