S/V Tender Spirit - Part II

We tried to be landlubbers... it didn’t work out. So, here it begins all over again.

29 January 2019
09 January 2019
18 October 2018
03 April 2018 | Unalakleet, Alaska
29 October 2017 | Unalakleet, Alaska
19 July 2015 | Unalakleet, Alaska
30 April 2013 | Point Hope
30 September 2012
04 June 2012 | Haines
20 April 2012 | Anchorage, Alaska
17 April 2012 | Anchorage, Alaska
17 April 2012 | Anchorage, Alaska
10 January 2012 | Opua, New Zealand
24 December 2011 | Opua, New Zealand
03 December 2011 | Opua, New Zealand
04 November 2011 | Off shore: Destination New Zealand
02 November 2011 | Off shore: Destination New Zealand

Happy New Year!

01 January 2008 | Mazatlan
Joan
We are settling into the Marina Mazatlan lifestyle. We still get up early, but putter around until 8 to listen to the morning net. Then we amble on up to the Calypso. It's a little spot that serves up the beverage of your choice from coffee to cocktail. They also have a variety of pastries to choose from. For about 40 pesos (about $4) we can both have coffee and a sweet roll. We'll hang out under the umbrellas visiting with other cruisers or check email with their wireless. On occasion I will use their wireless in the afternoon over a sandwich. You have your choice of turkey or turkey, but it's tasty and gives me access to the internet. Of course our day isn't all coffee and visiting. We've been busy working on the boat and making excursions into town.

The engine is now safely in the shop, after quite the adventures in diplomacy. Just as the mechanics were wheeling our engine up the ramp, the harbor master decided that engines weren't allowed on the ramps any more. He was concerned that the ramp would break. So, we set up an appointment with the harbor office lady who graciously offered to translate for us. The harbor master was worried the weight of the engine would break the ramp. Chuck assured him that the engine weighed less than the portable pump-out equipment that rolled up and down the ramp daily. The harbor master asked him if we were willing to replace the ramp if it broke. Chuck naturally said no problem. Now, you see, Chuck is a retired foreman for all the bridges and buildings of the Alaska Railroad. One of the other cruisers we hang with is a retired bridge engineer consultant as well. So arrangements were made. The ramp was mutually inspected by Chuck and the harbor master before and after the engine was effortlessly taken up the ramp by the two mechanics (who have carefully managed this procedure on this ramp over the last several years). All went uneventfully, however we are prohibited from bringing the engine back. We will have to be towed over to a marina nearby for the engine installation. The good news is that the moorage is cheaper, has stronger wireless connection, and access to a pool and hot tub!!! So we won't suffer!

While the engine is gone, I scrubbed out the engine room and bilge. It's never been cleaner!! I thought about painting it, but getting the paint I need is about impossible. Another cruiser will sell me 6 quarts along with the thinner .enough to do the entire boat for $400. Too much paint and expense for just the engine room. Or should I say box. It's an area just large enough for a Labrador size dog to barely stand up in if he's got his feet down in the bilge!

We also have been solving another problem. We are good solid carnivorous people with a fondness for an occasional hunk of red meat. The occasional part has become a rather scarce part. We haven't any problem finding meat, but what we've been able to find has been tasty, but very tough. We've come to the conclusion that we needed to either invest in a chain saw or a pressure cooker. The pressure cooker won .doesn't take as much space.:) It took awhile to translate the directions, but it works great .tender meat. Just the other day we heard rumors of a meat shop that had tender steaks. Well, we went hunting for this place, and it was a hunt. It was a shop located in a very out of the way location. Even the people around there had never heard of it. We eventually found it. It was tiny with a few empty shelves, a chest freezer, and a white board with meat cuts and prices. It was our anniversary so we decided to test the place out and bought 4 nice filet mignon steaks. They totaled about $8! They also turned out tasty and tender! We have since returned showing other cruisers the way.

Well, Happy New Year. May this year bring out the best in all of us .oh, and lower fuel prices!
Vessel Name: Tender Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: Hans Christian 41
Hailing Port: Alaska
Crew: Joan & Chuck
About:
Joan once again, failed to complete the program to quit sailing. She tried to be a landlubber. It lasted for only 6 years. Chuck, the ever-patient spouse quietly enjoys the adventure. SHHH....he's still a closet sailor......hasn't come out yet... [...]
Extra: There are only two unbendable rules on this vessel: 1. We can change our mind. 2. We can change direction. Everything else is flexible.
Tender Spirit's Photos - S/V Tender Spirit (Main)
17 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
61 Photos
Created 22 December 2010
Take a peek out our short stay!
33 Photos
Created 22 December 2010
More fun at Robinson Crusoe Island, Plus an inland river trip!
32 Photos
Created 23 July 2010
A beautiful multicultural country! Our Fiji adventures begins.
75 Photos
Created 22 July 2010
17 Photos
Created 15 January 2010
15 Photos
Created 3 December 2009
Kingdom of Tonga 2009
39 Photos
Created 3 December 2009
28 Photos
Created 6 September 2009
This smallest of nations has people with big hearts. Niue is unique in its beautiful caves and chasms. Lush jungles and Humpback whales add to this amazing place.
37 Photos
Created 6 September 2009
15 Photos
Created 31 July 2009
29 Photos
Created 31 July 2009
25 Photos
Created 26 June 2009
16 Photos
Created 26 June 2009
Great times at a beautiful place with warm friendly people!
28 Photos
Created 26 June 2009
My first attempt at using an underwater camera. Photos taken at Moorea.
38 Photos
Created 26 June 2009
20 Photos
Created 27 May 2009
43 Photos
Created 11 May 2009
22 Photos
Created 11 May 2009
May-August 2008
62 Photos
Created 14 August 2008
A small view of a large, dynamic city.
16 Photos
Created 10 January 2008
10 Photos
Created 19 December 2007
10 Photos
Created 9 November 2007
13 Photos
Created 8 November 2007