Teragram

25 June 2013 | La Coruna, Spain
23 June 2013 | La Coruna, Spain
21 June 2013 | La Coruna, Marina Coruna
06 June 2013 | Falmouth, England
27 April 2013 | Universal Marina, Southampton, UK
15 August 2011 | Atlantic Ocean
15 August 2011 | Alicante to Gibraltar
15 August 2011 | Mediterranean to Gibraltar
05 July 2011 | Mediterranean Sea, Enroute Gibralter
19 June 2011 | Solenzara, Corsica
31 May 2011 | Cagliari, Sardinia
12 May 2011 | Enroute Gibralter
08 May 2011 | Enroute Gibralter
08 May 2011 | Enroute Gibralter
05 May 2011 | Enroute Gibralter
03 May 2011 | Enroute Gibralter
24 April 2011 | Marina Vilanova
09 August 2010 | Marina Vilanova
01 August 2010 | Enroute Spain
31 July 2010 | Enroute Spain

Mother Nature's Little Tricks

02 May 2010 | North Atlantic, southern transit to Azores
Steve Edmondson
Yesterday evening was one of those times when what seems to be isn't.

I am expecting a windshift to the N and it is supposed to happen when I get into the high which I am in quite solidly.

So, when the Monitor wind vane, which will send me any direction the wind blows, once I set it up for a certain relative wind, had us going NW for about 20 minutes, I thought, gee this must be it. So, I tacked onto a heading of E. As I shifted over, so did the wind and I was heading almost S. I had to laugh. So, I tacked back and continued heading N.

Then, after dinner (Annie's mac and cheese with cauliflower and ham) it did it again, so I thought, well, I'll just watch, you won't trick me again. Except she did. Then, the wind died. So at about 9:00 the engine joined the party and we have been motoring ever since. Sometimes the wind shifts over, but it always comes back, and it is generally under 5 kts. So, motor away. I am headed to 28 N and 62 W where I hope to find NW winds so I can begin to aim for Horta, Faial, Azores. Kiki will meet me there in early June.

If you check out Google, you will see I am about 300 miles S of Bermuda, so this is one trip that will not involve a stop there. About time. But, stuff happens and I should not chortle just yet.

I finally contacted Herb Hilgenberg yesterday afternoon and now have the security of his guidance weather wise. I have been listening to him and know generally what is going on, but he and I had not had good direct communication.

The big news is a major storm coming our way off Newfoundland. It is quite large and strong for this time of year. Hurricane quality. So, now you will see my track go no further than 30 N and I will just be going mostly E until this storm sorts itself out and hopefully dies a peaceful death well above me.

In the meantime, we have a nice gentle 6 foot swell from the N. I'm not sure if that is off the Southern US or due to Newfoundland. I guess both areas are getting hit. I heard Herb talking to a boat much closer to the Azores - they are about there, and he said, don't go any closer. How about that for frustrating? I think by mid May the area will be more calm.

1869 miles to go
Comments
Vessel Name: Teragram
Vessel Make/Model: Nautor Swan - Swan 40-043
Hailing Port: Maine, USA
Crew: Steve and Kiki
About: Steve enjoys open ocean passages, sometimes alone and sometimes with crew. Kiki likes to join him when he arrives in port and can do day sailing and site seeing.
Extra:
We have cruised Teragram since 2001, first in Nova Scotia and then to Ireland in 2003 from whence we cruised all of the UK and then Spain, Portugal, Mediteranean Spain and then the Atlantic Islands before crossing again to the Caribbean in 2006. We are now cruising again, from the Caribbean to [...]
Teragram's Photos - Main
Pictures of the islands of St Martin - French and Dutch side plus the remote and tiny Saba
10 Photos
Created 22 April 2010
Photos of Ireland, England, Spain, Portugal, Caribbean
13 Photos
Created 22 April 2010
Pictures of various Caribbean anchorages and scenery
1 Photo
Created 25 February 2010
Photographs of Teragrim during the refit from 2006 to 2009.
26 Photos
Created 2 January 2010