Thalia's Voyage

A chronicle of a 1985 Passport 40 sailing days with Pat & Judy O'Brien

Vessel Name: Thalia
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Pat & Judy O'Brien
About: Pat & Judy are old moutain people from Colorado exploring new adventures of the water world.
06 June 2012 | Bellhaven, NC
06 January 2012
24 December 2011 | Oriental, NC
19 October 2011
02 October 2011
25 September 2011
03 June 2011
02 June 2011 | Oriental to Ocracoke & Return
Recent Blog Posts
07 June 2012

Belhaven to Alligator River Swing Bridge

We left the slip at Belhaven Waterway Marina as Brenda pushed out our bow with her boat hook (longest boot hook I've ever seen!). The wind caught our bow as Brenda held our stern line in towards the dock. Such a graceful exit in a narrow channel from a lovely place to visit.

06 June 2012 | Bellhaven, NC

Sunset in a Gazebo

Bellhaven, NC 35' 32.2" N Lat 076'37.3" W .Long 6/5/2012

20 May 2012

Sunsets, Sea Turtles, Moon Rises, and Flying Fish

The 70 nm overnight trip to Masonboro (Wilmington, NC) commenced on Thursday (5/10/12) at 10:30 hours when our crew threw off Thalias dock lines. Judy, Cameron (aka Railmeat) and Jim Privett stowed the fenders and dock lines as I turned south towards the mouth of Adams Creek and the ICW to the Beaufort [...]

06 January 2012

Celebration of Life

Celebration of Life

24 December 2011 | Oriental, NC

Christmas Post

Direct from the CrabPot/Christmas Tree show room in downtown Oriental Judy and I wish all our scattered friends (?) and the soon to be BIRTHDAY GIRL (you know who you are) Peace and Love from Sidney’s. Those who have been to Sidney’s are on the scattered friends secret list.

19 October 2011

OFF TO OCRACOKE

OFF TO OCRACOKE

From the Waterfront

02 October 2011
FROM THE WATERFRONT

Well, we arrived in Oriental unscathed from West Virginia traditions and still had our bikes on the roof top! Our new home is Oriental Harbor Marina slip A-26. You can see the arrival picture of my lovely wife posed by the car as proof that this is not some drug induced rambling that I'm making up. Hurricane Irene certainly created considerable destruction around both the marina and village. We have floating piers and pilings in the water and almost every home has a pile of furniture, plaster board, and insulation out front for pick up. For us yachties, aka boat people, the crushing blow from Irene is the closure of "The Bean"; the local gathering site for latttes and other expensive forms of caffeine. Four days of rain and no lattes at "The Bean". There was a rumor about a meth lab starting up to deal with the clinical depression but it was raining too steadily day after day for a dock side meth lab! Instead we've been talking of sponsoring a dingy regatta from the marina to "The Bean" when it reopens. Anyone who sends me a wetsuit, for the rain, will have their name prominently displayed as a sponsor on the port or starboard side of Pommes Frites our racing dingy. During the wet days we choose to move our boxes aboard Thalia. We actually had three waves of boxes. Those carried in the car, ones mailed to the post office, and the crushing third wave from UPS! I'm glad to report we survived the onslaught of boxes and now we have remote storage that we can drive around the village. During some of the unpacking on Thalia the admiral/first mate was discussing the equality? of space assigned for crew members until she was reminded of "THE CAPTAINS BOOK OF WARNINGS". With that said she will be starting her own book to be named later. We have two Brits in the slip next to us on a Hans Christian 43 and one other family four slips to the West on a Bristol 45. Both are impressive and lovely boats.

Pamlico County and Oriental Lore
There are a few pictures I've included as documentation of my assertions about local activity. With fall coming and Christmas just around the corner there is the possibility for early shopping. The "Crab Pot/Christmas Tree Showroom" has opened early at the village hardware store. Yes, see pictures! I'm not making this up! Additionally, the local republicans have decided to help the democrats, if they are vascular surgeons so much the better, by hosting a deep fried turkey dinner.

On Boat Entertainment

Since we have no TV we have resorted to simpler forms of entertainment. NPR radio has been a blessing as has reading and talking to our new social group of live aboards on the two adjacent boats. Tony and Ginny are the Brits on the Hans Christian 43 next to us and Jim, Cameron, Beth and Scout are to our West. Scout ,a black nine year old retriever, is our weather guru. If at 8:00 am he is sleeping on the shady side of the boat it will be a mighty toasty day. If in the early morning he is sleeping on the sunny side cool and pleasant is the forecast. Heading inside means thunder or lighting is imminent. Jim is working with him on hurricane and wind predictions. Part of our standard repertoire is offering things we don't need to our neighbors so they can stuff it in their boat! Tony is already wise to this tactic and when offered some spare spanners seriously suggested that I should have two of each spanner to keep the nut on the opposite end from rotating. After reflecting carefully of concepts of symmetry in the cosmos I rejected his assertion and doubled up with " how about some beach chairs!" It seems this game could really get vicious. Someone will come up with a 52 inch flat sceen TV! Well that's the news from the waterfront. Stay tuned on the TV thing.
Comments

About & Links

Favorites
No Links Added Yet