Thalia's Voyage

A chronicle of a 1985 Passport 40 sailing days with Pat & Judy O'Brien

Vessel Name: Thalia
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Pat & Judy O'Brien
About: Pat & Judy are old moutain people from Colorado exploring new adventures of the water world.
06 June 2012 | Bellhaven, NC
06 January 2012
24 December 2011 | Oriental, NC
19 October 2011
02 October 2011
25 September 2011
03 June 2011
02 June 2011 | Oriental to Ocracoke & Return
Recent Blog Posts
07 June 2012

Belhaven to Alligator River Swing Bridge

We left the slip at Belhaven Waterway Marina as Brenda pushed out our bow with her boat hook (longest boot hook I've ever seen!). The wind caught our bow as Brenda held our stern line in towards the dock. Such a graceful exit in a narrow channel from a lovely place to visit.

06 June 2012 | Bellhaven, NC

Sunset in a Gazebo

Bellhaven, NC 35' 32.2" N Lat 076'37.3" W .Long 6/5/2012

20 May 2012

Sunsets, Sea Turtles, Moon Rises, and Flying Fish

The 70 nm overnight trip to Masonboro (Wilmington, NC) commenced on Thursday (5/10/12) at 10:30 hours when our crew threw off Thalias dock lines. Judy, Cameron (aka Railmeat) and Jim Privett stowed the fenders and dock lines as I turned south towards the mouth of Adams Creek and the ICW to the Beaufort [...]

06 January 2012

Celebration of Life

Celebration of Life

24 December 2011 | Oriental, NC

Christmas Post

Direct from the CrabPot/Christmas Tree show room in downtown Oriental Judy and I wish all our scattered friends (?) and the soon to be BIRTHDAY GIRL (you know who you are) Peace and Love from Sidney’s. Those who have been to Sidney’s are on the scattered friends secret list.

19 October 2011

OFF TO OCRACOKE

OFF TO OCRACOKE

Christmas Post

24 December 2011 | Oriental, NC
Captain Pat (Clear & Balmy)
Direct from the CrabPot/Christmas Tree show room in downtown Oriental Judy and I wish all our scattered friends (?) and the soon to be BIRTHDAY GIRL (you know who you are) Peace and Love from Sidney’s. Those who have been to Sidney’s are on the scattered friends secret list.

Many new events have scrolled by in our new “boat peoples” life (aka poor yachties). We’ve spent a couple nights with the Coast Guard on the hook in 40 kt winds at Cape Lookout in November. The 70 lb. Bruce held like a champ so we did not need call over to the coasties for a tow if we were dragging! Thanks to Kirk and Lisa the prior guardians of Thalia. Judy had a chance to learn the anchor and windlass at Cape Lookout. See the pictures from the November trip.

In December the Captain tried to sweep the first mate off her feet with “You want to go for a moonlight cruise honey?”. “Aren’t you too old to be out after dark ?” “Scout the weather wonder dog is forecasting light winds, light chop as a sea state and romantic bliss!” The captain quickly forgot both questions, but the first mate (forever a romantic) started boat preparations and off we went out onto the Neuse River for a moonlight. Ah……….hours of romantic bliss…..Moon River with Andy Williams on auto repeat…turn on the auto pilot…..Discretion requires that I stop there!! The blissful part of our moon light cruise ended with deciding to go into the harbor and drop the hook for the night. Heading into the harbor was stress filled. The first mate up on the bow with a search light looking for things to avoid and the captain helming 15 tons of boat by playing video games. Thank goodness for GPS and chart plotters. I’m happy to report that we remained collision free and Judy wonderfully dropped the hook. A successful end to a new level of adventure for us.

Later in the month I fired up our quad band offshore pirate radio stations (WDF9679 and KD0PJK) and have reached both New Bern, NC and Fort Myers, FL. I did this to announce and comment on the Christmas parade in down town Oriental. Since I was not the senior broadcaster in Oriental ( seniority system) I was forced to broadcast from Thalia. The coveted commentary box from the CrabPot/Christmas tree showroom went to another broadcaster. Maybe next year?

Both Judy and I truly wish all Peace, Love, & Joy to our dear friends……Namaste
Comments

About & Links

Favorites
No Links Added Yet