The Big Blue

14 May 2021 | Anacortes
05 August 2020 | Billy Goat Harbor
02 August 2020 | Fury Cove
31 July 2020 | Meyers Passage
26 July 2020 | Ketchikan
22 July 2020 | Petersburg
20 July 2020 | Petersburg
16 July 2020 | Appleton Cove
10 July 2020 | Sitka
07 July 2020 | Gulf of Alaska
04 July 2020
04 December 2014 | Anchorage
24 July 2014 | Bulldog Cove
21 July 2014 | Shelikof Straight
10 July 2014
02 July 2014
28 June 2014
19 June 2014

Leaving Fiji

13 August 2013 | Musket Cove
Mark
It's been a while since we've posted to our sailblogs site. We've had such great Internet in Fiji that we've used Facebook instead. But for those of you who just don't "do" Facebook, or like our occasional rants, we'll soon be relying on our good old trusty SSB radio for updates, and that means sailblogs. Of course that also highlights one of the reasons for going to Vanuatu - our next destination. Fiji has been grand. Though we regret having missed the Lau group for it's pristine and relatively unspoiled villages, we've enjoyed the western side of Fiji and especially the Yasawa's. The climate is warm and dry, the water, inviting and safe, and the surfing, world class. Fiji is the first place that we've had the luxury of voluntarily staying for so long (2-months). Though we loved New Zealand, our stay was mandated by the avoidance of the cyclone season. But like all places, sooner or later we have to leave and the time has come for us to move on. We're looking at weather windows to leave Fiji behind and head to Vanuatu which luckily is just 3 or 4 days sail. Highlights we expect to find are fewer resorts, a kick-ass volcano that erupts before you every 15-minutes, better fishing and stronger kava. Kava, you say? Here in Fiji, we've learned to take a bundle of unground kava roots/twigs to the chief of every village where we've anchored. The offering is called "sevusevu." After dressing appropriately, we go ashore and ask for the "Taranga ni Koro" (chief's representative.). He then takes us to the chief where we are asked to sit in appropriate fashion on grass mats and present the bundled kava in a semi-formal ceremony to the chief. He/she claps with cupped hands and mutters an age old chant in Fijian that basically means he accepts our offering and grants us permission to anchor at the island, take photos, fish, snorkel, etc. In more remote parts of Fiji, this would be followed by actually drinking kava with the chief and his underlings. But as most of the Yasawa's now have at least one resort on or near their island village, the locals have seen enough foreign pink tourists already and "yachties" are just something else to be tolerated. We feel it's unfortunate to be grouped into either category after sailing on our own keel for so many thousands of miles. But how're they to distinguish? We are looking forward to our visit in Vanuatu and hope to find a road slightly less travelled. The ceremonial purpose of Kava in Vanuatu is not quite as formal as in Fiji. But we hear the more potent root is still very much part of the culture. One of the Vanuatu guides warns against drinking any water (or ice) from ashore for fear of contracting any number of waterborne parasites, yet also goes on to say that you must respect the culture by accepting offerings of kava and local foods when presented... Not sure how we'll deal with that one. We plan to sail to Aneityum island to clear into Vanuatu, then on to Tana where we'll get up close and personal with a very active volcano. We are all looking forward to that one! Stay tuned.
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First456
Hailing Port: Seward, AK
Crew: Mark Ward, Laurence
About:
M [...]
Extra:
Radiance is a German Frers designed Beneteau First456 sloop. She has the deep lead fin keel and tall rig. She competes in the local sailing regattas and had taken top honors in all events on multiple occasions. Laurence and Mark have returned from a 2.5 year blue water cruise that essentially [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/thebigblue/?show=profile
Social:
Radiance's Photos - Main
1 Photo
1
crew
 
1
Seward to Anacortes
50 Photos
Created 20 July 2020
Pics from s/v Radiance visit to Fiji, 2013
71 Photos
Created 22 June 2013
Misc photos from Bay of Islands, New Zealand
49 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
Cruising Bay of Islands and driving about the North Island.
100 Photos
Created 14 January 2013
Opua, Whangarei, Karikari, etc.
39 Photos
Created 4 December 2012
32 Photos
Created 22 November 2012
91 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
49 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
S/V Radiance in Niuatoputapu
12 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
s/v Radiance photos of Fanning
47 Photos
Created 4 October 2012
s/v Radiance Photos of Suwarrow visit
40 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
29 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
Radiance in Palmyra, Aug, 2012
45 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
Photos beginning May 2012, Departing Seward Alaska - heading south.
12 Photos
Created 10 June 2012