Living the Dream

01 January 2010 | Radio Bay
24 December 2009 | Radio Bay
22 December 2009 | Hilo Bay
21 December 2009 | Radio Bay
21 December 2009 | Radio Bay
06 December 2009 | Radio Bay in Hilo, Hawaii!
05 December 2009 | 35 Miles From Hilo, Hawaii!
29 November 2009 | 460 Miles From Hawaii
26 November 2009 | 4th Day Away from Fanning
18 November 2009 | Fanning Island
13 November 2009 | Fanning Island
08 November 2009 | Fanning Island
03 November 2009 | Christmas Island
27 October 2009 | Kiribati
23 October 2009 | On the Equator!
18 October 2009 | In the Middle!
13 October 2009 | About 225 miles off Samoa
05 October 2009 | Savai'i Island, Samoa

Issue #4 - Night 12

21 February 2021 | Isla San Geronimo - Cedros Island
Sally
We were exhausted after the crazy sail, so as soon as we set the anchor alarm and had some dinner, we hit the sheets. It has been really cold most of this trip, so it felt good to get out of the wind and get cozy. We normally would have watched a movie before bed, but our entire salon (living room) was full of all the stuff from the "garage," and we would have had to loosen one of the tie down straps on the TV in our cabin to get a dvd in the player. We decided it wasn't worth it. It continued to blow pretty hard most of the night, but the anchorage was great. The wind kept us off the swell. We both slept well!

The next morning we got up to blue skies and fairly calm winds - hooray! Since the anchor windless seemed like it was going to work fine again, and we couldn't move around most of the inside of the boat, we decided it was probably okay to put everything back into the forward cabin before we took off - so small feat, but accomplished! We also decided that it would be a good idea to put our dinghy and it's outboard motor onboard, instead of towing it like we had been. We were so lucky to have made it to Geronimo with it in tow, given the crazy winds and seas. Now to get the outboard up onto the big boat, we attach a block and tackle rig to our mizzen boom. Glen then climbs down the ladder at the stern (back), and gets into the dingy. The outboard has a harness on it, so he hooks the block and tackle up to it, and I pull use the line to pull it up. Whoever came up with the b&t rig was a genius! You hardly notice the weight you are lifting! There was almost a disaster when the harness on the outboard slipped over the top, but Glen was able to get it back on, and we were able to get the outboard up and safely fastened onboard (there is a board attached to the back rail that holds it). By this time, we were both a bit tired, and the day was looking so beautiful, that we decided to go ahead and keep towing the dinghy.

A dinghy out here cruising is essential. It is your "car" - it's how you get from the big boat at anchorage, to shore, or someone else's boat, or wherever. The Dorothy Marie has had 3 dinghies. The one that we left with on our "big trip" was one that had a roll up floor - it made it much easier to get onboard, but it didn't ride that well. The tubes were small, and we were constantly getting wet in it. Our second dinghy, we purchased from cruising friends from Elusive, when sadly they lost their boat on our crossing to Fiji. We loved that dinghy! It was an Apex, hard bottom, with really big tubes... no more getting wet, and having the hard bottom, it would get up on a plane right away. It definitely served us well for several years, but alas, just like your favorite old sweater, there comes a time when you know it's time is running out. It was looking a bit like a patch-work quilt! We had chatted about replacing it, but hadn't done anything about it, when BOOM...

It was love at first sight"! My first glimpse of "Little Dot" was while walking around a boaters garage sale in the parking lot of Harbor Island West Marina. She looked so pretty with her great big, non-patched hypalon tubes, and her hard, shiny aluminum bottom. She was even beautiful on the inside - a little storage locker where we could keep an anchor and life jackets, and there were two bench seats. I couldn't wait to get Glen to come look at her... I was smitten! Glen thought she was a real looker, as well, but because we hadn't ever heard of the brand, JP Marine, he said no. Somehow as we continued walking around looking at other boat stuff, we ended up going past this beautiful dinghy several times. Glen looked it over several times and we talked to the owner about the brand. He came down a little in price, and even offered to deliver it to us. How could we say no?!!! Little Dot became ours, and our old Apex was sold/given to a young man who was as thrilled to get it as we were to get the JP!

Getting from Geronimo to our next stop, Cedros Island, required an overnighter. It was too far to make it in one day. It was a beautiful day with much calmer winds and seas. I napped a bit during the day, knowing we would be taking turns "on watch" all through the night, but Glen couldn't ever get a nap in. Being "on watch" entails several things - keeping an eye out for any other boats that might be around, making sure the autopilot stays on course, keeping the sails happy, and looking to make sure Little Dot is still behind us. All was well most of the night, but around 3am, as Glen was running through his checklist of watch items, he found that Little Dot was no longer following along! He pulled up the line that she was attached to. The float we have on the line, and the closed shackle that attached to Little Dot's aluminum frame were all in place, but she wasn't! Although there was a little moonshine, there was no way to find her.

Cedros Island has a town with a Port Captain. It was too early in the morning when we first got anchored to report in, but we reached the Port Captain on the VHF radio around 8:30. After the formalities of letting him know that we had cleared into the country in Ensenada and have all the paperwork for him, we then explained that we couldn't bring it in to him because we had lost our dinghy during the night. He said he would send someone out to us, so we thought someone would come pick us up and take us to shore. The next thing we knew, however, a Mexican Navy boat came out of the little harbor and aimed right at us! There were several armed men aboard, but only two came aboard our boat. They were so nice! They took a report about our lost dinghy and said they would put the word out for all boats to keep an eye out for it. They left us in the anchorage which was getting pretty rough - 30k winds again and high seas. In just a little bit, though, the young Navy sailor called us on the VHF and told us he had talked to the Port Captain, and that we had been given permission to bring our boat inside the little harbor. That may not sound like a lot, but man, what a difference! It was nice and calm and we had a much better view of the town. Unfortunately, there was never an offer to take us ashore, but we were so grateful for the calm anchorage, it didn't matter. We slept really well that night, after being up most of the night before. I was really hoping that we would get a call that Little Dot had been found, but alas, she has not. We hope whoever finds her will love her as much as we did!

We have to admit we feel like a child who is getting "a spanking". We know we did wrong, and probably deserve to be punished, but boy, oh boy, does it hurt!!!

Issues #2 and 3!!!

20 February 2021 | Isla San Geronimo
Sally
We can't exactly pinpoint when we knew "Issue #2" happened, but we could tell it was coming! We are so spoiled to have 2 refrigerator systems. One is the more traditional boat system built into the counter. The lower portion is deep freeze, and the top part is refrigerator. This system runs off of 110 power. The other system is an upright frig/freezer that can run off 12 volt or 110. We always laughed on
our first trip that we probably held the record for how many countries our old Norcold frig had been worked on! Once back, we replaced it with what we thought was going to be a huge improvement... a Vitrifrigo! Well, it sure looks pretty with it's brushed stainless doors, but it has had problems from day one. We have probably spent twice it's original value in having it worked on! So, no surprise, when it
started getting warmer and warmer. Thankfully for the other system, we were able to cram most everything into it and turn off the Vitri, which was running 24/7. How then, you might ask, is this really an "Issue"? To get to the freezer section of the countertop system, you must first empty the frig part so you can pull up the boards that separate the two. Normally, we have a basket of sodas, a basket of beer,
and a misc. basket that are easy to lift out and open the freezer. With everything from the other frig crammed into the countertop frig, it takes a bit to empty it to get to the freezer, where we have all of our meat and chicken for dinners. Okay, it is an inconvenience, but we have had to do worse. Now here comes "Issue #3"! Did I mention that the countertop system runs off 110? That means we need to
run our generator every once in awhile to keep it nice and charged. So, you have probably guessed that "Issue #3" is with the generator. It is a wonderful 8kw Onan. It, too ,has been worked on in several countries - completely overhauled in Figi! It had been running so well after some linkage work done a few months ago. For some reason, however, the throttle govenor (another solenoid) decided to
"poop out" on us. The gen would run fine, we were just having to manually hold the throttle to keep it going! They say necessity is the mother of invention, and we worked really well as a team to come up with some creative "McGyver" solutions. The one that has been keeping the gen running perfectly, once we get it started and put it in place, is the two hook ends of a bungy cord with a paper clip in
between! Thank goodness... we can handle Issues #2 and 3. It's number 4 that is REALLY bad! That's for next time!

Continuing on from our FaceBook posts... Issue #1 and Night 11- Geronimo Island

20 February 2021 | Bahia San Quintin
Sally
Hey all! I had totally meant to journal our "Second Big Adventure" on this blog from the get-go, but a few things conspired against us. For the first few nights, at least, FB seemed to be an easier solution. Now that we are out where there is no way to connect to FB, however, it has driven me to figure out how to reconnect via sailmail and sailblogs. So much has happened before this to get us to where we
are now, however, I would love to go back and fill in the details. Hopefully you won't mind reading this a little out of order!

Since our last FB post, I know we have a lot of "splain'n" to do!!! So here goes ...

The morning we were to leave our wonderfully calm and beautiful anchorage in Bahia San Quintin, all was amazing. As always, Glen got the engine going and was readying the mainsail, as I went forward to weigh anchor. To do this, we have a windless that has foot pedals, or in our case, knee pedals, that allows the chain connected to the anchor to either be lowered or raised. It is a true workhorse, and
we are so grateful to have it!!!! It was a typical "moving on" morning. I had removed the snubber (a line that hooks to the chain in order to take the pressure off of the windless while the anchor is down), and was using the knee pedal to bring up the anchor. I call them knee pedals, because I use my knee, while bent over a round opening into the chain locker, to flake the chain (kind of like folding it back
and forth) to make sure it will all fit into the chain locker. A totally normal act... we've done it MANY, MANY times. This time, however, we were about half way up, when I realized I no longer had control of the up button. It had gone a bit crazy! I couldn't keep up with flaking the chain at the speed the windless was hauling it in, so I yelled to Glen to switch off the circuit breaker for the windless, which
thankfully he was able to do right away. That stopped that particular problem, but there it was... "Issue #1"!... Because I couldn't keep up with the chain, it had balled up in the hauspipe , a little metal "tube" that the chain goes up and down through. Thankfully this "snafoo" was easily fixed by Glen with a screwdriver (never to be seen again!!!) and a hammer. The major part of the issue however, was in order to
"fix" the windless knee pedal, we would have to get to the solenoid that controls it. No problem, right?!!! Well... the solenoid that just needed a "little tap" to fix was under the bed in our forward cabin, or what we normally refer to as "The Garage"!!! If you have ever been on our boat, you will feel our grief! We had to unload EVERYTHING... Glen's sax, piano, guitar, ukulele, melodica, and flute, our
karaoke machine, my 2 sewing machines (one for sails, one for quilting), plus all of the extra supplies we have brought with us... canvas and plastic window material to have a new dodger made, plus lots of paper supplies (because we all know I am a paper towel and toilet paper snob!!!). Unloading everything took more than 45 minutes, but sure enough, a little tap with the hammer and the solenoid issue
was "fixed". Because it was so calm, we had remained anchored the whole time... we thanked our lucky stars for that, so we could both work on the problem. We then finished raising anchor and headed out into very calm winds and seas. We had decided to leave everything from the forward cabin in the salon, just in case we may have another issue with the solenoid when we anchored at Geronimo
Island.

Well,our calm winds and seas didn't last for long!!! Our Grib file for wind was way off... instead of having calm winds the rest of the day, they increased, and increased, and increased to the point we were having to reduce sail until we had very little up. The winds were blowing more than 30 knots and the seas were a bit crazy by the time we made it to Geronimo Island. Even Glen admits that was one of
his "fiercest" sails! We made it though... all in tact, but very tired! We were thankful to be securely anchored at Geronimo Island. There isn't much there, but two men in a fishing panga came in and checked on us to make sure all was well.
Vessel Name: The Dorothy Marie
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavor 43
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Glen Vienna and Sally Houston
The Dorothy Marie's Photos - Album 5 - Rarotonga - Vava'u, Kingdom of Tonga
Photos 1 to 120 of 120 | Living the Dream (Main)
1
Neiafu from a local hillside - we had a lot of fun and will miss all the great people we met here!
The market in Neiafu.  This is where we buy all of our produce and eggs.  The locals are will to barter (to a certain extent) for their goods.  We paid $5 T for a head of cabbage, $3 for bell peppers, etc...
A broader picture of the marletplace.  There is an inside area where they sell crafts, powered kava, and eggs!
The Bounty Bar is up on the main street in Neiafu.  We have to dock the dinghy below and hike up a steep hill to get to it.  This picture doesn
Glen playing one last time at the Bounty Bar - this set was with Dennis (Shillling).  They do a great "Girl From Ipanema!"
10-6-08  Neiafu, Vava
Sean - the guitar player at the Bounty Bar on Monday nights and the manager of the Mala Island Resort all the other times!    (We think he looks like a younger, thinner Willie Nelson!).
The cutest little piglet in Vava
The entrance to Hunga Island Lagoon.  We had to stay in between the rock in the middle and the right hand side - about 30 feet wide and it got down to 7
We had a whale escort on the way to Hunga Island.  This was the tail of the baby that was right by our boat!   There were 2 adults and a baby - very cool!
The Blue Lagoon!  (Not the one from the movie!)  We wanted to go in and explore, but the entrance was awash.  There was one boat inside and they ended up being stuck in there for a few days!
One of the reefs we snorkelled on - very pretty!   (Anchorage #16 or Vaka
The "dock" belongs to the abandoned resort up on the hill - totally overgrown within 10 months!  We had a fun time exploring the resort, but I got eaten by mosquitos!  Vaka
Glen working on opeing the rock scallops we got while snorkelling.  This was right by the "dock" at anchorage #16.  There were little "alien" fish inside the scallops that we tried to get back into the water, but Krtisten (Charisma) got bit by one!
One of the weird fish inside the scallops - one of them bit Kristen badly - it bled and bled!
It is wonderful to have Glen and Steve back together and making GREAT music!
The Bounty Bar - Neiafu
9-15-08
Cindi and the staff from Tropical Tease!  They did a great job on our custom t-shirts with ASDIP on them.  Ray was one of Cindi
A view of Neiafu from out in the harbor.
Just a cute little local boat in Tapana anchorage!
Mango season starts in October here in Tonga and there are tons of them in all the trees.  This tree is in town, but Glen picked a bunch for free from a tree out in the wild at Port Maurelle.
Glen and Ray on the walk from Ano Beach.  We thought it was going to be a short walk up one little hill, but it turned out to be l-o-n-g and up and down and up and down!  It was, however, very pretty and there were tons of mango trees alond the road.
A pig ready to kick the
The anchorage at Tapana (or #11).  The picture is taken from Ano Beach.  The water was gorgeous.
The Ark Gallery!  This is a floating art gallery (tied to a mooring) in the Tapana anchorage.  Sherry and Larry moved here from Oregon and Washington.
Sherry (middle) is the artist who painted all the pictures for sale on the Ark Gallery.  She
Sean on guitar, Steve on harmonica, and Glen on sax - I wish we could cut some CD
Enjoying a little rumlaced coconut water!
Mala Island - Pig Roast
Best Buds having fun at the pig roast!
This little piggie says, yum, yum, yum all the way to our plates!  :)
Stanley is the main chef at the Mala Island Resort and was the best competition for Glen at pingpong!
Mala Island Pig Roast - 9-14-08
Ray having his first taste of Kava!
Can you tell I
Glen enjoying his first bowl of kava!
The ceremonial kava bowl!  Bounty Bar
The Vava
The anchorage in Neiafu.
There are pigs running loose everywhere in Neiafu - kind of a mascot that can be dinner as well!
Glen with another new girlfriend!  At the public market in Neiafu.
Sweet potatoes for sale - complete with a coconut leaf woven basket!
Neiafu
Okay, now we know which direction home is!  :)
One of the boats that has come up to our boat to sell their wares.  We bought a very cool tiki from them.
Enjoying a cold one inside Swallow
I can see, I can see! (No more sunglasses!)
Photo by Charisma
There were five dinghies inside Swallows Cave with tons of room to spare - it is big!  The water inside was 53 feet deep and the walls were about 60-70 feet high.  It was a shame that so many people have written in it - it would have been much prettier "au natural!"
Swallows Cave
Another pretty shot out the entrance of Swallows cave.
Why can
Looking out of Swallows Cave - doesn
Looking at the entrance to Swallows Cave from the outside - you have to be at just the right angle to see the opening!
Ray, Glen, and I on our way to Swallow
The dinghy brigade!  There were five of us (from 6 boats) who took the 2 mile trip to Swallows Cave.  The water was gorgeous and the shoreline very jungle-y!
The beautiful beach at Port Maurelle.  There is absolutely nothing there - that
Ray beachcombing on Port Maurelle.  We found lots of pretty shells.
Looking out at the anchorage at Port Maurelle from the beach - notice how clear the water is!
Singing into a marshmallow microphone - too much fun!  :)
Ray and Glen put on a native drumming demonstration!  We bought Glen
Pretty purple starfish galore at Port Maurelle - snorkeling there was fantastic!
The anchorage at Port Maurelle - we were the furthest to the right.
Having fun at the Vava
The Friday night yacht race ended with the winner beating the leader of the entire race in the last couple of seconds by making a fabulous tack around another boat!  This picture also shows how much distance there is across the bay - The Dorothy Marie took herself from this side to the other and reanchored herself!
Neiafu - Tonga
The dingy landing at Niue!  There are no beaches or low spots on the island, so they built this pier sticking out from the bottom of the cliff.  Once you raise your dinghy out of the water using a crane, you get to hike up a steep, paved road up to the main road.
My new occupation - crane operator!  :)
The crane quit working often, so you would have to wait until they got it fixed.  One day we had to leave the dinghy in the water and scale the side of the pier! 
Niue
Niue
The sleigh they have on the pier to move the dinghies around.
Glen got to catch a ride up (not how we normally did it) with the dinghy.  A local man was "helping" with advice!
Some pretty little orchids in a flowerbed at the Matavai Resort.  I
The view north from the Matavai Resort.   We went there for dinner after our exhausting day of hiking, but they weren
The view south from the resort.  This would be a very pretty place to stay if you were to visit Niue!
The car on the left is the CA coop - the rental  we split with Charisma (they
The view looking out from the trail heading to the Pocket Beach - it was gorgeous, but rough!
Togo Chasm, Niue
This is the goat trail, uh... I mean hiking trail leading out to the Pocket Beach!  There were ropes in some areas because you wouldn
This is the only sandy beach on Niue - and its not by the water!  We hiked through jungle, then a grove of indigo coral pinnacles to get here.  Finally, to get down to the beach, you have to scale a ladder straight up and down 35 feet  or so!  The red dot in the back is Glen!
Togo Chasm, Niue
Another beautiful view of the coastline.  This was taken at Uluvehi Landing, where slave traders kidnapped many Niueans in 1860 to work in the guano mines of Chile.  Can
Uluvehi Landing at Mutalau is now used for launching dug out canoes and outriggers.  As with the slaves of yester year, we don
It became the common question... where
A very frilly red hibiscus.
A standard red hibiscus!
We enjoyed gorgeous views of the cliff lines from the caves - it was beauty at every angle!
Niue
Ouch!  Glen
Looking down into the water at some coral in one of the pools we swam at.  The water was so crystal clear!
Limu Pools
Talava Arch!  There are actually several arches in this area, but I left the camera up "high and dry" so could only photgragh this one.  We swam through pools and across a chasm to see the others!  That
Someone had made a nice, cool resting place by mounting an old sail on some poles!  We
One of the beautiful places we swam at Limu Pools.  Where the fresh water met the salt, it would blur and become very "dreamy" looking - like a Monet painting!
Hard to tell, but this is Glen and me snorkeling inside a cave at Niue.  There was a water snake right underneath us when this photo was taken.  They are very poisonous, but not at all aggressive.  They say you would have to stick your finger in their mouths to be bit, but we weren
We hiked to several different caves on Niue - they were all so beautiful!  This one is called Palaha Cave.
That
Glen trying his luck at the "World
Our rental cruisers!  We had a lot of fun but got very sore bottoms!
Alofi Rentals!  Niue
It was fun to explore the caves and see all the different colors in them.  We definitely got a work out on top of all the bike riding!
Avaiki Cave, Niue
Playing "mountain goat" in Avaiki Cave on Niue.  (And this isn
Getting creative with out sashime presentation!  (I laid out the yummy yellow fin over a bed of cabbage in the shape of a fish with wasabi waves underneath!)
A yummy pair of yellow fin tunas - we each brought one on board!
Right outside of Beveridge Reef.
Sailboats anchored out in the middle of the Pacific?  Not really - they are inside Beveridge Reef.
A quick shot of the mahi mahi Glen snagged on the way to Beveridge Reef.  They are very colorful fish, but lose their color quickly once you bring them up.  We had several delicious meals from this guy!
Leaving the quay at Rarotonga - we left a big hole right next to Orca III!
A circle of coconut palms right at the traffic circle in Rarotonga.
We just love these palms!  Not sure what they
Just another pretty beach along Muri Lagoon!  We REALLY, REALLY liked it there!
The shades of the water at Muri Lagoon were so vivid!  Some almost hurt our eyes!  :)
One of the little motus at Muri Lagoon.  You could almost walk the entire way from the mainland shore out to the motu!
The view from the very romantic "Tamarind House" on Rarotonga.  I
Glen cooling his toosties in the gorgeously blue water at Muri Lagoon.  The lagoon has become our favorite place on the island and a spot we visit almost daily!
Another lovely day at the beach!
This is the reason Glen hasn
Yikes!  This ship didn
It
We are so thrilled!  We had our laundry machine washed and dried!!!  They pick it up at the boat, wash, dry, and fold it, then deliver it all back for $10.  a load!  We also were able to get liquor at duty free prices delivered right to the boat!  This picture shows Steve (Orca III) trying to swipe a bottle of vodka!  He
Black Rock (Turou) - traditionally believed to be where the spirits of the dead commenced their voyage to
Just another beautiful hibiscus!
We rode our scooter up yet another really steep hill to get to the Cook Island Cutural Center.  Unfortuantely, it was closed, but the view was breathtaking!
A fertility tiki guarding the entrance to the CI Cultural Center!
Some of the lush greenery looking inland.
Glen in tree jail!  These trees send out long roots from way up high that find their way to the ground and eventually take hold.  They were so interesting to check out.  The roots are covered with little spikey things, so Glen had to be careful when holding them!
Another shot of the inland hillsides!  The little roof structure in the forefront is a covering for a crypt that is in this yard.
I had mentionsed on one of our blog entries that we find it interesting that most houses have their own little cemetary in their yard.  I didn
Glen going from the quay to our boat.  Doesn
Some dancers at a show during the Constitution Week market (like a small swap meet).  I hate to tell our fellows, but these girls look a lot prettier in their coconut bras!
The Rarotonga Sailing Club - kids in little sabots were racing in this dazzlingly blue lagoon.  The lagoon is called Muri and its on the east side of the island.  We stopped and had a toddy at Sails restaurant while watching the race.
We find it so interesting that the churches here all have graveyards around them.  We assume because of the water table, they put the caskets in cement vaults that are partially above ground.  The "newest" looking crype was from 1950.  All the writing was completely gone from these older looking ones, but they looked REALLY old!!!
A field of taro.  Taro is a root crop (or tuber) similar to a potatoe.  Our tattoo artist on Huahine had given us some to cook and they were yummy as home fries!
A beautiful strech of beach on the west side of the island.   The sand is so white and the water so blue!
A view from the Rarotonga Hospital!  The lagoon is so turquoise compared to the deep blue of the outside water!  We rode our scooter up a very steeeeeeep hill.  It was a little scary coming back down!
Some of the lush vegetation growing on the island.  We loved these big "elephant ear" looking plants!  (By Wigmore
 
1