Living the Dream

21 February 2021 | Isla San Geronimo - Cedros Island
20 February 2021 | Isla San Geronimo
19 February 2021 | Bahia Asuncion
08 August 2013 | Marina Village
07 April 2013
25 December 2012 | Our Marina
25 November 2012 | San Clemente Island
03 September 2012 | Mission Bay
06 May 2012 | National City
24 December 2011 | Pier 32 Marina
24 November 2011 | Two Harbors, Catalina Island
23 October 2011 | Longshadow Winery - Temecula
05 September 2011 | Mission Bay
12 August 2011 | Hoag Hospital, Newport Beach
22 July 2011 | Two Harbors
09 July 2011 | Santa Cruz Island
04 July 2011 | Channel Islands Harbor
03 January 2011 | Pier 32 Marina
19 December 2010 | Pier 32 Marina

Guess We Have to Admit It... We're Spoiled!

18 March 2010 | Poka'i Bay, O'ahu
Sally
My sister bought a t-shirt while she was here that said "Life is Good, Simple as That!" Of course it had a picture of a sailboat on it as an explanation! We are truly feeling it... life is good! Even though Mother Nature may at times throw a kink in our plans, it always seems to turn out well.

Our plans were to leave the Ala Wai harbor right after Gladys and Dan left. We felt we had pretty much "maxed out" on the whole Waikiki area and didn't really want to keep paying to be tied up so closely to so many other boats. The wind, however, had other ideas and continued to blow so heavily we went in and grudgingly paid for a few more days. Arlene laughed when we were chatting during her birthday call and I was whining about being stuck in Waikiki... poor us! :) What we didn't know at the time was the extra few days in the harbor meant we were right smack dab in the middle of all the fun events and entertainment for the Honolulu Festival. We learned this was the 16th annual event held to foster cultural exchange between Hawaii and other Pacific Rim countries/areas. It was wonderful! I know I keep saying we somehow end up in the right place at the right time, but this is another example. We are so happy we didn't miss out on the festivities. We visited both the Ala Moana Mall and the Hawaii Convention Center and were entertained by groups from Japan, China, Korea, Samoa, Tahiti, and even Alaska. The acts included singing, dancing, sword play, drumming, music, theater... you name it and it was there! Most of the groups were non-professionals that did lots of fund raising to earn their way to Honolulu. A group of young ladies from a high school in Tokyo put on a wonderful show with excerpts from the Sound of Music - complete with bell ringing of Edel Weiss. A local girl, Taimane Gardner, played the ukulele like we had never heard it played. She is like the Jimmy Hendrix, Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, and Charlie Daniels of ukuleles! She played so many styles of music so well, it was unbelievable. We're not sure if she arranges her own music or not, but she did a version of Stairway to Heaven that segue way'd in and out of Fur Elise that blew our socks off! Oh yeah, forgot, we haven't had socks on since New Zealand! Guess it blew our flip flops off! The convention center had a craft fair, as well as four performance stages, and it was interesting to check out the quilt section. I can't believe all the hand work that goes into their intricate patterns. Another "small world" story was when we were checking out some carved bone necklaces and I commented that both a fish hook design and a turtle design looked just like ones I had bought while in Tonga. The lady at the booth heard me and asked, "Where did you buy them in Tonga?" When I told her, she said, "Oh, that's my husband's family. He's from Nukualofa!" It turns out her husband learned the carving trade from his father and grandfather and the necklaces I bought had been carved by his sister, who had also learned the trade! Amazing! She was impressed that I had been able to spot the subtle differences in their family's way of carving and all the others, but it was what had drawn me to her sister-in-law's work to begin with - so beautiful and perfect! The culmination of the festival was a Grand Parade down Kalakaua Ave, or mainstreet Waikiki. Most of the groups that had performed throughout the weekend danced or sang their way down the street. It was fun watching so many groups hula while on the go. There were participants from all age groups - a darling little baton twirler that couldn't have been more than 3 to a lovely hula dancer from Japan who was 81! There was a "Macy's" style hot air balloon dragon that made his way down the road, but the winds made him misbehave a bit and give his handlers some grief. We sat through over two hours of the parade, but even with all the cushioning our bottoms have, we just couldn't sit through any more and finally walked back to the boat along the beach - just in time to see another perfect Waikiki sunset! Yeah, we're living the good life!

Staying some extra time in Ala Wai also gave us a chance to visit more with our friends from Relax and Lopto. We kept having farewell Happy Hours thinking we were leaving, just to have to do it all over again a few days later! It was very sad when we finally did have to say good bye for the last time, but we now know how to use babelfish to translate their blogs from German so we can keep up with their adventures. Both boats will be heading toward New Zealand by way of Fanning Island and Fiji. It was also sad to leave our neighbors on the dock. Our next door neighbor, another Glen, was a charming local guy who had recently bought his 26 foot boat and was loving it. We loved to see his enthusiasm and how much he was sharing it with his ohana (family). Even his mom and aunties crawled up and over the anchor to spend time with him. During our last week, we also met Randy, a young man who had just bought his 20 footer to live aboard. He had no experience with sailing, but was ready to learn. Glen was able to teach him a bunch just in the few visits he made to our boat. Its always sad to leave the friends we make in each new place, but we are trying to remember one the Hawaiian rules... there can't be a rainbow without a little rain!

When checking out the "Black Pearl" while on a road trip with Gladys and Dan, we had also checked out a marina nearby called Ko olina. It's one of the few private marinas in Hawaii - most are state owned. When we chatted with the manager, he offered us a two for one deal, so we took him up on it. We finally left Ala Wai on the 15th and headed to the southwest corner of O'ahu for two glorious nights in Ko olina. The area is all resorts, or vacation rentals (new name for time shares?!!!). The picture attached is of one of four of the lagoons we swam in and lounged by for two days! Ko olina is a "real" marina so we didn't have to anchor - just tie up to a dock that had fingers coming out to the side of the boat. No climbing over the anchor... yeah!!!

We wish we could have stayed longer at Ko olina, but even at 2 for 1, it was pricey, so off we left this morning for the west side of the island. We are now anchored in a beautiful little, or I should say tiny, bay called Poka'i. We are the only boat here, but it is spring break and there are a lot of kids and families enjoying the beach surrounding the bay. We have already had lots of visitors.. first two sea turtles that are kind of hanging out around the boat, then two Canadian guys from Edmonton (where Glen lived for 2 years) who were out paddle boarding and were very interested in our trip, then a group of teenage boys that asked if they could come jump off the boat. "Uncle" Glen said of course and they have been having a ball! Although we hate to admit it, we are extremely spoiled, but just can't wait for that next great thing to happen. Life is good, simple as that! :)
Comments
Vessel Name: The Dorothy Marie
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavor 43
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Glen Vienna and Sally Houston
The Dorothy Marie's Photos - Living the Dream (Main)
Photos 1 to 34 of 34
1
On a mooring ball belonging to the Lahaina Yacht Club.  They gave us a temporary membership while visiting on Maui.
February - 2010
Hanging with the "big guys!"  Cruise ships were a common sight in the anchorage at Kilua-Kona.
Hawaii - January 2010
Tied up to "the wall" in Radio Bay - you drop anchor and back in to tie up to the wall.  We had a few issues in heavy weather with getting a little too close... yikes!
Radio Bay, Hilo, Hawaii -  December 2009
How
A very leaky Dorothy Marie sitting at anchorage in the Fanning Island lagoon.  It was either sweltering hot, or pouring down rain (and we were once again all alone)! 
Fanning Island, Kiribati
November - 2009
Alone again!!! Anchored at Christmas Island.  The water was beautiful - you can see the different hues of blue showing reef, sand, then deeper water (from shore looking out to the boat).  In the background in a few of the local fishermen that spent sunup to sundown fishing.  They had to paddle, then surf their outriggers through the waves to get back to shore.
Christmas Island, Kiribati 
(A part of the Line Islands) October/November - 2009
We were the lone boat in our anchorage in Matautu Bay on the beautiful island of Savai
Tied up at the little marina in Apia, Samoa.  This is where we were when the earthquake and four following tsunami waves hit.  We couldn
Looking back at the island while on a putt in Little Dot!  Sadly, the village that was right behind our boat in this picture got wiped out from the tsunami that hit while we were in Samoa.
Niuatoputapu, Tonga
September - 2009
While in Savusavu, we gave work to Semi, a hard working Fijian man.  He is the father of 5 and works so hard to support his family.  He totally scrubbed and waxed the hull of The Dorothy Marie by hand - she
The Dorothy Marie is up a creek!  That
The Dorothy Marie is now a "black bottomed girl!"  We hauled out in Fiji to put new anti-fouling paint on the bottom.  We had bought the paint in NZ (better quality), but the color didn
The Dorothy Marie hanging out in the Blue Lagoon with her playmate, Destiny!
Nanuya Lailai, Yasawa Group, Fiji
July - 2009
At anchor in Musket Cove, Fiji.  Just another beautiful sunset!
The Mamanuca Group
June - 2009
At anchor just outside the floating "Q" dock in Opua.   We left the boat on a mooring ball there in Feb. when we land yachted, then were on anchor for most of March,  two weeks of April, two weeks in May (we left New Zealand on the 13th).
May - 2009
It was nice to get back out into "cruising mode" after being on a mooring ball for so long in Opua.  This is in the anchorage at Moturua Island - Bay of Islands, New Zealand.
April - 2009
The Dorothy Marie at anchor in Whale Bay - The Bay of Islands.  We went out for a 3 week cruise of the Bay and up to Whangaroa and the Cavalli Islands.  We think many parts of New Zealand look a lot like the Pacific Northwest - lots of beautiful pines and ferns.
January - 2009
Opua Marina, New Zealand
After 11 months "on the hook," it felt a little strange to be tied up, but we quickly readjusted to life with conveniences!  Our first plan was to spend one week in the marina.  That quickly changed to two, which ended up being six!  We finally left on December 27th.  We were in slip B-24.
December - 2008
New Zealand Bound!!!
We had little wind most of the trip from Tonga to New Zealand - this particular day, we had just enough to fill the "Sally Sail!"
November - 2008
Picture taken by Orca III
Underway between islands in the Ha
A beautiful Tongan sunset!   Taken in anchorage #11 - Tapana, Vava
The gorgeous anchorage at Niue - the World
Med-moored in Avarua Harbor!  We were packed in like sardines and it was very challenging getting from the boat to the shore without adding bruises, but we had lots of fun here.
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
August - 2008
The island of Moorea in the Society Island chain was so lovely!
July  -  2008
The poor Dorothy Marie had to be hauled out in Pape
Sailing in the lagoon of Fakarava Atoll - one of favorite places so far!
June  -  2008
Pciture Taken by Shilling
Enjoying the gorgeous waters in the Tuamotus!  Kauehi  Atoll
May  -  2008
Day 22 of the big crossing!  We celebrate our equitorial crossing and becoming Kind Neptune
We had a great time in Mexico, but it was time for last minute repairs and provisioning in Nuevo Vallarta (Banderas Bay).
March  -  2008
Sunset in the Sea of Cortez!
February  -  2008
Sailing down the Pacific coast of Baja.  Picture taken by Edd and Judi from Claire de Lune - our first cruising friends!
January  -  2008
Pulling away from the dock!   Good-bye dear friends and San Diego!
December 29, 2007
Thanksgiving Day!  Giving thanks that we have this wonderful opportunity and that the work of moving on board is done!
November  -  2007
Getting Ready!  Our haul out for bottom paint and an insurance inspection at the Shelter Island boatyard.  
October 2007
 
1
86 Photos
Created 31 March 2010
120 Photos
Created 13 January 2010
120 Photos
Created 27 September 2009
120 Photos
Created 23 July 2009
119 Photos
Created 24 April 2009
121 Photos
Created 11 February 2009
120 Photos
Created 13 December 2008
The first part of our trip!
120 Photos
Created 6 August 2008
Pictures starting with Rarotonga
120 Photos
Created 6 August 2008
Pictures starting in Taou
120 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
Pictures start in Atuona
120 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
Starting with Mazatlan
120 Photos
Created 21 March 2008