Living the Dream

21 February 2021 | Isla San Geronimo - Cedros Island
20 February 2021 | Isla San Geronimo
19 February 2021 | Bahia Asuncion
08 August 2013 | Marina Village
07 April 2013
25 December 2012 | Our Marina
25 November 2012 | San Clemente Island
03 September 2012 | Mission Bay
06 May 2012 | National City
24 December 2011 | Pier 32 Marina
24 November 2011 | Two Harbors, Catalina Island
23 October 2011 | Longshadow Winery - Temecula
05 September 2011 | Mission Bay
12 August 2011 | Hoag Hospital, Newport Beach
22 July 2011 | Two Harbors
09 July 2011 | Santa Cruz Island
04 July 2011 | Channel Islands Harbor
03 January 2011 | Pier 32 Marina
19 December 2010 | Pier 32 Marina

Living on Island Time!

23 September 2008 | Neiafu - Vava'u, Tonga
Sally
How in the world has a week gone by already since our last blog entry?!!! Yikes! I guess we are truly living on "island time!" Let's see, what have we been up to in all that time... We enjoyed the last few days of Ray's visit in a beautiful anchorage called Tapana (or #11). There are over 40 anchorages within the Vava'u group, so the local Moorings Charter Boat service numbered them all to make them easier to find on their charts. Ray didn't like us calling them by numbers, though, so we'll use their long names just for him! :)

Unfortunately, the weather hasn't been the greatest here in Tonga - lots of heavy rain and occasional high winds, so we didn't make it to the Blue Lagoon (fairly exposed anchorage) while Ray was here. Tapana was very calm, and it was good to get away from the town of Neiafu for a couple of days. While there, we snorkeled around a tiny little island close to the anchorage where a few other boaters had found some rock scallops. Glen was able to get 6 the first day and then went back the next day armed with a hammer, crowbar, and the hooka rig (air compressor in the dinghy with a 60' hose that hooks up to a regulator to breathe through!). They were very hard to get lose, but he managed to get enough to have scallops with pasta for dinner. They were a lot of work to get out of the shells, but were pretty tasty. The picture shows us holding a few - they look just like rocks with a zig-zag mouth. Also in #11, uh, I mean Tapana, is a little floating house that serves as an art gallery. We met Sherry, the artist, and her husband, Larry, who moved here from Oregon and enjoyed checking out the artwork. I bought a painting of a very cute turtle to hang in our forward head (bathroom!). Ray wanted to see what a "village" here looked like so we landed the dinghy on Ano Beach and walked (and walked and walked) up and down hills until we got to the closest village. It was actually a pretty good sized town with at least two little stores (but no beer), several churches, and lots of pigs. It probably wasn't what he expected as a village, but it felt good to get some walking in.

We came back to Neiafu on Friday so Ray could do a little last minute shopping and make arrangements to get to the airport Saturday morning. We had all thought his flight was on Sunday and were very sad that we lost a day of his visit (but happy we caught our mistake so he didn't miss his flight - Jean wouldn't have forgiven us)! Saturday morning, we had a nice quiet breakfast at one of our favorite places, The Aquarium, and said farewell to Ray. It rained a lot both Saturday and Sunday, so we didn't do too much of anything except to go to a friend's 60th b-day party. We wore our new dirt shirts (dyed with Tongan mud so we can take a little bit of Tonga with us!) in honor of Tom (Warm Rain) turning older than dirt! :)

On Monday, we went walking to explore more of Neiafu and found what the locals call "The American Store." It's called that because they sell things that Americans are more likely to buy. They also had several Kirkland items. We splurged and bought the first salsa we've seen since Mexico - a big bottle of Pace Picante that cost $22.95 Tongan - about $13. US! It's funny all the little things we've missed so much - who would have thought one would be salsa! It was funny when Ray was here, he kept saying it would be great to have Italian sausage for breakfast, or this or that with dinner. We agreed and made sure he knew that if he could find it anywhere, we'd be happy to get it and cook it! Our eating habits have totally had to change with what we can (and can't!) find available. Monday afternoon, we both had our first "professional" haircuts since leaving home from Billy, the ex-circus performer (I won't even tell that whole story!). It was a little scary, but he did a great job. I've been cutting Glen's hair and had finally trimmed my own bangs, but we both needed a good "shaping up." Now where does one go in Tonga to get a haircut? Well, the Bounty Bar, of course! They set a bar stool right outside the back door whenever Billy comes into town! Very fun... a line quickly forms and you wait with beer in hand! After getting home from "shopping," Steve (Orca III) came over to help Glen fix the generator. It kept overheating and shutting itself down. It seems the impeller (a little rubber water wheel thingie) had disintegrated within the salt water cooling system. Thankfully we had a spare and they had it up and running again just in time to go back to the Bounty Bar for Monday music night. It's been so cool walking around town and having people come up to shake Glen's hand and tell him how awesome he plays. I proudly have to agree!

Tuesday saw us going to pick up our head sail at the repair shop - the leach line (a sturdy cord inside a casing on the top angled edge of the sail) had broken. We didn't have any replacement cord or a tool to feed it through the casing, so took it in to have someone else deal with it. Arriving at the canvas shop, we were greeted with a big smile from the repairman saying how glad he was to see us and that he was going to save us hundreds of dollars by putting us to work feeding the cord through ourselves! He had the cord and had created a needle out of a bicycle spoke, but he didn't have the patience to do the feeding. It took us several hours of teamwork - me feeding the needle through the casing a little at a time while trying to scrunch the thick sail fabric together, then Glen using pliers to keep the needle from slipping backwards while we pulled the cord through - but we finally got it done. We both have raw fingers and sore hands, but the sail is back in shape. We are thinking we will need to have a new jib made while in New Zealand. This one is looking very tired.

It was dark and overcast with intermittent rain showers all Tuesday afternoon and evening, so we had a fun time watching movies on our new "big screen" TV. One of the other boats, Sand Dancer, just changed their electrical system from being 110 to 220 (they are taking it to Australia), so they were getting rid of all their 110 stuff. This is the boat Ray helped out by bringing a new navigation system with him from SD. Anyhow, they gave us a deal we couldn't pass up. We are so spoiled! We now have the TV Dione brought us from Canada in our cabin and the big one in the salon. We borrowed "The Bucket List" from Orca III and laughed and cried through the whole thing. What an awesome movie! Word is out about how many movies we have (thanks again Darlene and Larry!) so we have become quite a good lending library for DVDs as well.

I'm finishing this entry on Wednesday morning (I got too caught up in the movie Glen was watching last night, Coal Miner's Daughter, while I was going to get this entered - oops!). We are heading in to town soon to pick up laundry (yeah!) and hopefully find some butter and eggs. We're excited we are going out for a steak dinner tonight on Mala Island (getting there by taxi,then power boat). We haven't had the kind of steaks like we would get back home in months and are really looking forward to it! We're hoping we can pry the source of these rare gems out of Sean (the manager and guitar player).

In just an hour or so, we'll have guest bed sheets back from the laundry. We wonder who will be the next to use them?!!! :)

(PS... The picture is before our haircuts and yes, I've quit dying my hair!)
Comments
Vessel Name: The Dorothy Marie
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavor 43
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Glen Vienna and Sally Houston
The Dorothy Marie's Photos - Living the Dream (Main)
Photos 1 to 34 of 34
1
On a mooring ball belonging to the Lahaina Yacht Club.  They gave us a temporary membership while visiting on Maui.
February - 2010
Hanging with the "big guys!"  Cruise ships were a common sight in the anchorage at Kilua-Kona.
Hawaii - January 2010
Tied up to "the wall" in Radio Bay - you drop anchor and back in to tie up to the wall.  We had a few issues in heavy weather with getting a little too close... yikes!
Radio Bay, Hilo, Hawaii -  December 2009
How
A very leaky Dorothy Marie sitting at anchorage in the Fanning Island lagoon.  It was either sweltering hot, or pouring down rain (and we were once again all alone)! 
Fanning Island, Kiribati
November - 2009
Alone again!!! Anchored at Christmas Island.  The water was beautiful - you can see the different hues of blue showing reef, sand, then deeper water (from shore looking out to the boat).  In the background in a few of the local fishermen that spent sunup to sundown fishing.  They had to paddle, then surf their outriggers through the waves to get back to shore.
Christmas Island, Kiribati 
(A part of the Line Islands) October/November - 2009
We were the lone boat in our anchorage in Matautu Bay on the beautiful island of Savai
Tied up at the little marina in Apia, Samoa.  This is where we were when the earthquake and four following tsunami waves hit.  We couldn
Looking back at the island while on a putt in Little Dot!  Sadly, the village that was right behind our boat in this picture got wiped out from the tsunami that hit while we were in Samoa.
Niuatoputapu, Tonga
September - 2009
While in Savusavu, we gave work to Semi, a hard working Fijian man.  He is the father of 5 and works so hard to support his family.  He totally scrubbed and waxed the hull of The Dorothy Marie by hand - she
The Dorothy Marie is up a creek!  That
The Dorothy Marie is now a "black bottomed girl!"  We hauled out in Fiji to put new anti-fouling paint on the bottom.  We had bought the paint in NZ (better quality), but the color didn
The Dorothy Marie hanging out in the Blue Lagoon with her playmate, Destiny!
Nanuya Lailai, Yasawa Group, Fiji
July - 2009
At anchor in Musket Cove, Fiji.  Just another beautiful sunset!
The Mamanuca Group
June - 2009
At anchor just outside the floating "Q" dock in Opua.   We left the boat on a mooring ball there in Feb. when we land yachted, then were on anchor for most of March,  two weeks of April, two weeks in May (we left New Zealand on the 13th).
May - 2009
It was nice to get back out into "cruising mode" after being on a mooring ball for so long in Opua.  This is in the anchorage at Moturua Island - Bay of Islands, New Zealand.
April - 2009
The Dorothy Marie at anchor in Whale Bay - The Bay of Islands.  We went out for a 3 week cruise of the Bay and up to Whangaroa and the Cavalli Islands.  We think many parts of New Zealand look a lot like the Pacific Northwest - lots of beautiful pines and ferns.
January - 2009
Opua Marina, New Zealand
After 11 months "on the hook," it felt a little strange to be tied up, but we quickly readjusted to life with conveniences!  Our first plan was to spend one week in the marina.  That quickly changed to two, which ended up being six!  We finally left on December 27th.  We were in slip B-24.
December - 2008
New Zealand Bound!!!
We had little wind most of the trip from Tonga to New Zealand - this particular day, we had just enough to fill the "Sally Sail!"
November - 2008
Picture taken by Orca III
Underway between islands in the Ha
A beautiful Tongan sunset!   Taken in anchorage #11 - Tapana, Vava
The gorgeous anchorage at Niue - the World
Med-moored in Avarua Harbor!  We were packed in like sardines and it was very challenging getting from the boat to the shore without adding bruises, but we had lots of fun here.
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
August - 2008
The island of Moorea in the Society Island chain was so lovely!
July  -  2008
The poor Dorothy Marie had to be hauled out in Pape
Sailing in the lagoon of Fakarava Atoll - one of favorite places so far!
June  -  2008
Pciture Taken by Shilling
Enjoying the gorgeous waters in the Tuamotus!  Kauehi  Atoll
May  -  2008
Day 22 of the big crossing!  We celebrate our equitorial crossing and becoming Kind Neptune
We had a great time in Mexico, but it was time for last minute repairs and provisioning in Nuevo Vallarta (Banderas Bay).
March  -  2008
Sunset in the Sea of Cortez!
February  -  2008
Sailing down the Pacific coast of Baja.  Picture taken by Edd and Judi from Claire de Lune - our first cruising friends!
January  -  2008
Pulling away from the dock!   Good-bye dear friends and San Diego!
December 29, 2007
Thanksgiving Day!  Giving thanks that we have this wonderful opportunity and that the work of moving on board is done!
November  -  2007
Getting Ready!  Our haul out for bottom paint and an insurance inspection at the Shelter Island boatyard.  
October 2007
 
1
86 Photos
Created 31 March 2010
120 Photos
Created 13 January 2010
120 Photos
Created 27 September 2009
120 Photos
Created 23 July 2009
119 Photos
Created 24 April 2009
121 Photos
Created 11 February 2009
120 Photos
Created 13 December 2008
The first part of our trip!
120 Photos
Created 6 August 2008
Pictures starting with Rarotonga
120 Photos
Created 6 August 2008
Pictures starting in Taou
120 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
Pictures start in Atuona
120 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
Starting with Mazatlan
120 Photos
Created 21 March 2008