Living the Dream

21 February 2021 | Isla San Geronimo - Cedros Island
20 February 2021 | Isla San Geronimo
19 February 2021 | Bahia Asuncion
08 August 2013 | Marina Village
07 April 2013
25 December 2012 | Our Marina
25 November 2012 | San Clemente Island
03 September 2012 | Mission Bay
06 May 2012 | National City
24 December 2011 | Pier 32 Marina
24 November 2011 | Two Harbors, Catalina Island
23 October 2011 | Longshadow Winery - Temecula
05 September 2011 | Mission Bay
12 August 2011 | Hoag Hospital, Newport Beach
22 July 2011 | Two Harbors
09 July 2011 | Santa Cruz Island
04 July 2011 | Channel Islands Harbor
03 January 2011 | Pier 32 Marina
19 December 2010 | Pier 32 Marina

A Visit to a School and Caves

02 July 2009 | Sawa-I-Lau
Sally
Our quick trip away from the Blue Lagoon found us traveling a little further north to the last anchorable island in the Yasawa Group called Yasawa Island. Our first stop was to an uninhabited bay - we were hoping for some extra good beach combing (shelling) and snorkeling, but the anchorage ended up being so swelly, we didn't even get off the boat. Now, once you're used to it, the rocking can be great for sleeping - just like the rocking of a cradle. You just have to make sure nothing can roll around in cupboards, in the fridge, or off of counters. You also have to make sure that all lines are pulled tight so they don't creak. It's amazing how noisy one little bottle rolling back and forth an inch or two, a halyard tapping the mast, or the dinghy rubbing against the hull can be!

Our second stop was much better. We backtracked a bit to the south end of Yasawa Island and entered a pretty area called Sawa-I-Lau. The anchorage, which turned out to be smooth as glass, was right in front of a little village. Following protocol, we donned appropriate attire (for ladies, everything should be covered from the shoulders to mid-calf and for guys a shirt and shorts) and headed in to offer our sevusevu to the chief of the village. After getting his blessing, we went out for a snorkel and walk on the beach - although we did have to go to the island across the way. Since it was Sunday, they didn't want us walking the beach in front of the village. They keep Sundays pretty sacred. During the blessing of the sevusevu, we met a man who is a teacher at the school on the island and I quickly got us invited for a visit on Monday morning. There are 54 children who attend Ratu Namasi Memorial School. There are 4 combination classes a 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8. The head teacher welcomed us and immediately turned us over to a year 5 student named Nathan, who became the ultimate tour guide and host. He showed us all 4 classes, the library, a science lab, and the head teacher's office. There were only 2 teachers present and we were told that one of the other teachers had gone to the mainland for a few days and the other one was on maternity leave. We were amazed at how well spoken all of the children were and how engaging they were. The boys loved asking Glen all about the motor in the boat and the dinghy and I felt like a celebrity being asked all sorts of questions about my school at home. It was a little tough explaining about our mascot being a bronco, but they loved hearing about our "Bronco Way." They have a big sign in front of their school with the slogan "Learn to Love" and "Love to Learn." It was easy to see the children had mastered both. The children in the classes without teachers were all as busy as if someone were watching them and there were a few of the older children in helping the little ones. They have prefects that look after the class when the teacher is not there. We took in a few dozen pencils, but found out they really need ball point pens. We'll look into sending them some when we get back to a city on Viti Levu (when we were buying for the trip, we were worried pens would either dry up or leak, so only bought pencils). Before leaving, Nathan made us promise we would write to him and send some of the pictures we had taken. It was a lovely visit.

On an island across the way from the village, is a limestone cave. We dinghied over and were ready to go in when a boat from the village came over and told us we had to pay $10.FD to go in (okay, someone is getting in on the entrepreneurial thing!). We paid and were then guided by a young man named Libby. The first chamber of the cave was huge (the guide book says the dome-shaped walls go up 15m above the water's surface) with enough daylight streaming through the top to be able to see fairly well. A cement staircase had been made to climb up the rocks to the entrance, but the handrails along the edge were completely rusted through - don't think OSHA would have approved! The pool in the first chamber was refreshingly cool and super clear. There were a few "ancient" carvings in the limestone walls and several pieces of clothing that people had thrown to be forever hooked on crevasses, but thankfully no graffiti (like the Swallows cave in Tonga). Libby led the way for Glen and Frank to swim under the water into a second chamber of the cave. I really wanted to do it, but the tunnel was so confined and dark, I "freaked" and chickened out. Glen says the inner chamber was completely dark except what little light our dive light could put out. It also had high walls and clear water. It was fun to listen to the guys whoop and holler and bang the water - it sounded like a cannon had been shot. I was surprised at where we were hearing the sounds - very far to the right of where they entered. Glen says it was a very good thing Libby went with them because they never would have found the underwater passage on their own. The snorkeling on the reef outside of the cave was beautiful and we saw our first lion fish (although I think it should be called a zebra fish with its gorgeous black and white stripes). We had seen pictures and had heard about them, but seeing one just a few feet from us was a real treat. It looked like it had feathers that were gently swaying in the water and moved so gracefully we all agreed it was doing ballet. Hard to believe something so beautiful could be so dangerous (poisonous). I got a couple of pictures, but they don't do it justice. The coral in the area was very healthy and we keep being amazed at the variety and quantity of fish. I found a piece of a nautilus shell on the beach, but still haven't found a whole one, darn it!

The winds were once again supposed to get heavy, so we headed back to the protection of the Blue Lagoon (and a dinner at the resort!). We still have no internet, but am going to try to send a picture through winlink - it is looking in at the village from our anchorage.
Comments
Vessel Name: The Dorothy Marie
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavor 43
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Glen Vienna and Sally Houston
The Dorothy Marie's Photos - Living the Dream (Main)
Photos 1 to 34 of 34
1
On a mooring ball belonging to the Lahaina Yacht Club.  They gave us a temporary membership while visiting on Maui.
February - 2010
Hanging with the "big guys!"  Cruise ships were a common sight in the anchorage at Kilua-Kona.
Hawaii - January 2010
Tied up to "the wall" in Radio Bay - you drop anchor and back in to tie up to the wall.  We had a few issues in heavy weather with getting a little too close... yikes!
Radio Bay, Hilo, Hawaii -  December 2009
How
A very leaky Dorothy Marie sitting at anchorage in the Fanning Island lagoon.  It was either sweltering hot, or pouring down rain (and we were once again all alone)! 
Fanning Island, Kiribati
November - 2009
Alone again!!! Anchored at Christmas Island.  The water was beautiful - you can see the different hues of blue showing reef, sand, then deeper water (from shore looking out to the boat).  In the background in a few of the local fishermen that spent sunup to sundown fishing.  They had to paddle, then surf their outriggers through the waves to get back to shore.
Christmas Island, Kiribati 
(A part of the Line Islands) October/November - 2009
We were the lone boat in our anchorage in Matautu Bay on the beautiful island of Savai
Tied up at the little marina in Apia, Samoa.  This is where we were when the earthquake and four following tsunami waves hit.  We couldn
Looking back at the island while on a putt in Little Dot!  Sadly, the village that was right behind our boat in this picture got wiped out from the tsunami that hit while we were in Samoa.
Niuatoputapu, Tonga
September - 2009
While in Savusavu, we gave work to Semi, a hard working Fijian man.  He is the father of 5 and works so hard to support his family.  He totally scrubbed and waxed the hull of The Dorothy Marie by hand - she
The Dorothy Marie is up a creek!  That
The Dorothy Marie is now a "black bottomed girl!"  We hauled out in Fiji to put new anti-fouling paint on the bottom.  We had bought the paint in NZ (better quality), but the color didn
The Dorothy Marie hanging out in the Blue Lagoon with her playmate, Destiny!
Nanuya Lailai, Yasawa Group, Fiji
July - 2009
At anchor in Musket Cove, Fiji.  Just another beautiful sunset!
The Mamanuca Group
June - 2009
At anchor just outside the floating "Q" dock in Opua.   We left the boat on a mooring ball there in Feb. when we land yachted, then were on anchor for most of March,  two weeks of April, two weeks in May (we left New Zealand on the 13th).
May - 2009
It was nice to get back out into "cruising mode" after being on a mooring ball for so long in Opua.  This is in the anchorage at Moturua Island - Bay of Islands, New Zealand.
April - 2009
The Dorothy Marie at anchor in Whale Bay - The Bay of Islands.  We went out for a 3 week cruise of the Bay and up to Whangaroa and the Cavalli Islands.  We think many parts of New Zealand look a lot like the Pacific Northwest - lots of beautiful pines and ferns.
January - 2009
Opua Marina, New Zealand
After 11 months "on the hook," it felt a little strange to be tied up, but we quickly readjusted to life with conveniences!  Our first plan was to spend one week in the marina.  That quickly changed to two, which ended up being six!  We finally left on December 27th.  We were in slip B-24.
December - 2008
New Zealand Bound!!!
We had little wind most of the trip from Tonga to New Zealand - this particular day, we had just enough to fill the "Sally Sail!"
November - 2008
Picture taken by Orca III
Underway between islands in the Ha
A beautiful Tongan sunset!   Taken in anchorage #11 - Tapana, Vava
The gorgeous anchorage at Niue - the World
Med-moored in Avarua Harbor!  We were packed in like sardines and it was very challenging getting from the boat to the shore without adding bruises, but we had lots of fun here.
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
August - 2008
The island of Moorea in the Society Island chain was so lovely!
July  -  2008
The poor Dorothy Marie had to be hauled out in Pape
Sailing in the lagoon of Fakarava Atoll - one of favorite places so far!
June  -  2008
Pciture Taken by Shilling
Enjoying the gorgeous waters in the Tuamotus!  Kauehi  Atoll
May  -  2008
Day 22 of the big crossing!  We celebrate our equitorial crossing and becoming Kind Neptune
We had a great time in Mexico, but it was time for last minute repairs and provisioning in Nuevo Vallarta (Banderas Bay).
March  -  2008
Sunset in the Sea of Cortez!
February  -  2008
Sailing down the Pacific coast of Baja.  Picture taken by Edd and Judi from Claire de Lune - our first cruising friends!
January  -  2008
Pulling away from the dock!   Good-bye dear friends and San Diego!
December 29, 2007
Thanksgiving Day!  Giving thanks that we have this wonderful opportunity and that the work of moving on board is done!
November  -  2007
Getting Ready!  Our haul out for bottom paint and an insurance inspection at the Shelter Island boatyard.  
October 2007
 
1
86 Photos
Created 31 March 2010
120 Photos
Created 13 January 2010
120 Photos
Created 27 September 2009
120 Photos
Created 23 July 2009
119 Photos
Created 24 April 2009
121 Photos
Created 11 February 2009
120 Photos
Created 13 December 2008
The first part of our trip!
120 Photos
Created 6 August 2008
Pictures starting with Rarotonga
120 Photos
Created 6 August 2008
Pictures starting in Taou
120 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
Pictures start in Atuona
120 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
Starting with Mazatlan
120 Photos
Created 21 March 2008