Living the Dream

21 February 2021 | Isla San Geronimo - Cedros Island
20 February 2021 | Isla San Geronimo
19 February 2021 | Bahia Asuncion
08 August 2013 | Marina Village
07 April 2013
25 December 2012 | Our Marina
25 November 2012 | San Clemente Island
03 September 2012 | Mission Bay
06 May 2012 | National City
24 December 2011 | Pier 32 Marina
24 November 2011 | Two Harbors, Catalina Island
23 October 2011 | Longshadow Winery - Temecula
05 September 2011 | Mission Bay
12 August 2011 | Hoag Hospital, Newport Beach
22 July 2011 | Two Harbors
09 July 2011 | Santa Cruz Island
04 July 2011 | Channel Islands Harbor
03 January 2011 | Pier 32 Marina
19 December 2010 | Pier 32 Marina

A Spitfire, Manta Rays, and the 4th of July!

18 July 2009 | Drawaqa Island
Sally
7/19/09 We're so sorry to have taken so long to get this posted! I actually had typed most of it a LONG time ago now, but couldn't get it sent out through SSB, HAM, and... internet?!! I keep forgetting we are in a 3rd world country!!! Sure hope we didn't make anyone worry about us - if anything should ever "happen," we're sure someone else would let you know sooner than we seem to be able to get new entries made for ourselves! :) ****************************************************************************************************************************
Original Post Date was 7-6-09
I think I had mentioned that there is a WWII airplane sunk in one of the lagoons near Naviti Island. Well, we skipped seeing it the first time, but on our way back south, we stopped at Naviti again and made the hike across the island to see it. It ended up being a reunion of sorts - we hadn't seen friends from Warm Rain or Baraka since leaving New Zealand and they were in the same anchorage when we got there. We were still traveling with Destiny, so all 4 boats (well, I mean the crews!) took the hike across the island to see the old Spitfire. The hike itself was somewhat of an adventure. First we had to find the entrance from the beach into the jungle-like terrain - luckily someone had been nice enough to mark it with a big stick because otherwise it would have been tricky to find. Upon entering, we were on a narrow path that wound through dense foliage. There were lots of coconuts on the ground, so we stayed alert to noises above to make sure we didn't get hit by new falls. Some of the ones we walked over were very odd shaped - like snowmen! Instead of just the normal one round ball, they had two (okay, to be honest, no one else was impressed by them, but I thought they were cool!). The canopy atop the jungle area made it shady and cool, so we didn't mind the long walk. The path finally led us out of the foliage and into tall grass a couple of feet over our heads. Like the "Going On a Bear Hunt" song, we swished-swished through it, wondering if we would ever be able to find the same path on our way back. We finally came out of the grass into a beautiful garden complete with a scarecrow. It belonged to a Fijian family who have perfectly manicured their property. We met the 70's something couple and marveled at how great they looked for their age. Because the guys had taken the hike on our first trip to Naviti, we knew the family was there and we brought them gifts of tea and sugar (they had made it clear they didn't want kava!). They welcomed us onto their land and gave us directions to get to the Spitfire. We were now on the other side of the island and walked down the beautiful beach until the reef ended, then donned our snorkel gear. We swam out beyond a buoy and started looking. Glen found the propeller pretty quickly and we all took turns diving down to take a closer look. We then set out to find the rest of the plane - easier said than done! All 8 of us were swimming around the lagoon but couldn't spot it. Most of the others had given up and were almost back to shore, but I had gone off on my own, following a cuddle fish and... it led me right to the plane! (I think it was good karma from letting it's brother live after hooking it while fishing!) Anyway, it was pretty neat to see the plane laying there half buried in sand in about 15 feet of water. It was much smaller than we had expected. The guys had fun diving down and pretending they were sitting in the pilot's seat. Dave was even amusing us with an imaginary machine gun - until he noticed a lion fish lurking inside, that is! Unfortunately, my pictures of the plane didn't turn out, but did get a good shot of the prop. Back on shore, we again visited with the family and heard the story about how the plane ended up in the bay. It went down in 1943, when an American pilot out on patrol clipped a coconut tree and lost control. The elderly man's grandmother was there and saw it happen. The pilot was fine and the family gave him dry clothes and fed him while he waited for a float plane to come from the mainland of Fiji to pick him up. The family told us that in 2003, the pilot's grandchildren all came to visit and see the plane they had been told so many stories about. We had a very nice visit and loved hearing the stories about who all has come to see the spot (they said Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas are regulars on their own yacht!). I had noticed the lady (can't begin to say or spell her name!) had a big, infected looking sore on her leg, so when we asked her about it, she said she would love some medicine for it. Her husband made the long walk back with us so we could give them some medicine and bandages for her. Pretty embarrassing that I was huffing and puffing while this almost 80 year old man was smiling and chatting the whole way! As we said our good-byes, the family gave us all coconuts and lots and lots of lemons.

The next day, the 4th of July, we awoke to a patriotic concert from Destiny. It was fun to think about "the 4th" and all we've done to celebrate in the past - most of which included all of you back home and made us feel a little homesick. We kept thinking how it couldn't possibly be only a year since we picked Denise up at the Pape'ete airport - we've seen and done so much since then! Yikes! Anyhow, we want you all to know we were thinking about all the wonderful 4ths we've spent at home - BBQ's at so many different homes and beaches, harbor putts, fireworks at the lake in WA, a parade in Wilsonia, and the huge flag we flew as a mainsail on our beloved Dorothy Marie (thanks again Ray!). It was a nice warm, fuzzy feeling recalling all the fun in the past and a bit exciting to think we will be back in San Diego for the next 4th. No matter what we do next year, it will have to include corn on the cob - we have so missed that wonderful "American" treat!

Although we only got to spend a little while together, we said farewell to Warm Rain and Baraka and then headed a little further south to an island called Drawaqa. The Tokatokauna Pass goes between Naviti and Drawaqa and is famous for its visits from giant manta rays. We tried to find them when we first anchored, but learned they usually only come in during high tide. That gave us a little time to visit the Manta Ray Resort (and I proudly wore my patriotic flipflop t-shirt!). Now, they use the word "resort" a little differently than we would back home, but it was a beautiful spot and the beer was really cold! It was a perfect spot to celebrate the 4th because there were quite a few young Americans who were staying there in the backpackers' dorm. They loved hearing about our trip and it was fun to hear about their adventures as backpackers - its amazing the amount of courage and money these young people have! We ended up going back for a nice dinner (only $10 FD!) later that evening. Our high tide trip back to the pass was incredible. We jumped into the water with our snorkel gear and had been looking around for only a couple of minutes when we spotted these huge dark shapes coming toward us. Now, we knew the mantas were going to be big, but holy-moly, they were enormous - even bigger than our dinghy! Four of them swam right under us - all in a line. They are so majestic looking as they glide through the water. The current flows through the pass pretty quickly, so we had to swim hard to try to keep up with them. Glen held the dinghy by the painter as we were being pushed backward, so we finally jumped back in and motored back up the pass to do it all again. I swam toward the side of the pass to try to be out of the main rush and two of the lovely creatures were swimming right with me. It was almost as if they were keeping an eye out for me because when I would get tired and stop swimming, they would circle back around and then under me. At one point, I reached out both hands to gain a better distance perception and one of them raised up until it's back touched my hands. It will be one of those things I'll never forget. It felt like a wet vellux blanket. Glen said that it looked like I was being circled by sharks because of the way their wing tips break the surface. Anyhow, it was an amazing experience! The picture isn't the best, but wanted you to be able to see what they looked like. We were surprised at how thick they were, especially their heads. We were expecting them to be more like the sting rays in French Polynesia. (Sunday, we hope this will make up for not feeding the sharks for you! It might not have been as dangerous, but was way cool!)
Comments
Vessel Name: The Dorothy Marie
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavor 43
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Glen Vienna and Sally Houston
The Dorothy Marie's Photos - Living the Dream (Main)
Photos 1 to 34 of 34
1
On a mooring ball belonging to the Lahaina Yacht Club.  They gave us a temporary membership while visiting on Maui.
February - 2010
Hanging with the "big guys!"  Cruise ships were a common sight in the anchorage at Kilua-Kona.
Hawaii - January 2010
Tied up to "the wall" in Radio Bay - you drop anchor and back in to tie up to the wall.  We had a few issues in heavy weather with getting a little too close... yikes!
Radio Bay, Hilo, Hawaii -  December 2009
How
A very leaky Dorothy Marie sitting at anchorage in the Fanning Island lagoon.  It was either sweltering hot, or pouring down rain (and we were once again all alone)! 
Fanning Island, Kiribati
November - 2009
Alone again!!! Anchored at Christmas Island.  The water was beautiful - you can see the different hues of blue showing reef, sand, then deeper water (from shore looking out to the boat).  In the background in a few of the local fishermen that spent sunup to sundown fishing.  They had to paddle, then surf their outriggers through the waves to get back to shore.
Christmas Island, Kiribati 
(A part of the Line Islands) October/November - 2009
We were the lone boat in our anchorage in Matautu Bay on the beautiful island of Savai
Tied up at the little marina in Apia, Samoa.  This is where we were when the earthquake and four following tsunami waves hit.  We couldn
Looking back at the island while on a putt in Little Dot!  Sadly, the village that was right behind our boat in this picture got wiped out from the tsunami that hit while we were in Samoa.
Niuatoputapu, Tonga
September - 2009
While in Savusavu, we gave work to Semi, a hard working Fijian man.  He is the father of 5 and works so hard to support his family.  He totally scrubbed and waxed the hull of The Dorothy Marie by hand - she
The Dorothy Marie is up a creek!  That
The Dorothy Marie is now a "black bottomed girl!"  We hauled out in Fiji to put new anti-fouling paint on the bottom.  We had bought the paint in NZ (better quality), but the color didn
The Dorothy Marie hanging out in the Blue Lagoon with her playmate, Destiny!
Nanuya Lailai, Yasawa Group, Fiji
July - 2009
At anchor in Musket Cove, Fiji.  Just another beautiful sunset!
The Mamanuca Group
June - 2009
At anchor just outside the floating "Q" dock in Opua.   We left the boat on a mooring ball there in Feb. when we land yachted, then were on anchor for most of March,  two weeks of April, two weeks in May (we left New Zealand on the 13th).
May - 2009
It was nice to get back out into "cruising mode" after being on a mooring ball for so long in Opua.  This is in the anchorage at Moturua Island - Bay of Islands, New Zealand.
April - 2009
The Dorothy Marie at anchor in Whale Bay - The Bay of Islands.  We went out for a 3 week cruise of the Bay and up to Whangaroa and the Cavalli Islands.  We think many parts of New Zealand look a lot like the Pacific Northwest - lots of beautiful pines and ferns.
January - 2009
Opua Marina, New Zealand
After 11 months "on the hook," it felt a little strange to be tied up, but we quickly readjusted to life with conveniences!  Our first plan was to spend one week in the marina.  That quickly changed to two, which ended up being six!  We finally left on December 27th.  We were in slip B-24.
December - 2008
New Zealand Bound!!!
We had little wind most of the trip from Tonga to New Zealand - this particular day, we had just enough to fill the "Sally Sail!"
November - 2008
Picture taken by Orca III
Underway between islands in the Ha
A beautiful Tongan sunset!   Taken in anchorage #11 - Tapana, Vava
The gorgeous anchorage at Niue - the World
Med-moored in Avarua Harbor!  We were packed in like sardines and it was very challenging getting from the boat to the shore without adding bruises, but we had lots of fun here.
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
August - 2008
The island of Moorea in the Society Island chain was so lovely!
July  -  2008
The poor Dorothy Marie had to be hauled out in Pape
Sailing in the lagoon of Fakarava Atoll - one of favorite places so far!
June  -  2008
Pciture Taken by Shilling
Enjoying the gorgeous waters in the Tuamotus!  Kauehi  Atoll
May  -  2008
Day 22 of the big crossing!  We celebrate our equitorial crossing and becoming Kind Neptune
We had a great time in Mexico, but it was time for last minute repairs and provisioning in Nuevo Vallarta (Banderas Bay).
March  -  2008
Sunset in the Sea of Cortez!
February  -  2008
Sailing down the Pacific coast of Baja.  Picture taken by Edd and Judi from Claire de Lune - our first cruising friends!
January  -  2008
Pulling away from the dock!   Good-bye dear friends and San Diego!
December 29, 2007
Thanksgiving Day!  Giving thanks that we have this wonderful opportunity and that the work of moving on board is done!
November  -  2007
Getting Ready!  Our haul out for bottom paint and an insurance inspection at the Shelter Island boatyard.  
October 2007
 
1
86 Photos
Created 31 March 2010
120 Photos
Created 13 January 2010
120 Photos
Created 27 September 2009
120 Photos
Created 23 July 2009
119 Photos
Created 24 April 2009
121 Photos
Created 11 February 2009
120 Photos
Created 13 December 2008
The first part of our trip!
120 Photos
Created 6 August 2008
Pictures starting with Rarotonga
120 Photos
Created 6 August 2008
Pictures starting in Taou
120 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
Pictures start in Atuona
120 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
Starting with Mazatlan
120 Photos
Created 21 March 2008