Living the Dream

14 October 2012
10 October 2012
22 September 2012
10 September 2012
01 September 2012
14 August 2012
12 August 2012
06 August 2012
20 July 2012
20 July 2012
04 July 2012
17 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
08 May 2012
24 April 2012
27 March 2012

Bahia de Tortugas (Turtle Bay)

26 November 2009 | N27 41 W114 53
11/26/09 Happy Thanksgiving from Turtle Bay

We fueled up and started working on the starting/charging problems. Discovered another problem created by Larsen Marine with regards to Bank 1 (supposedly starting bank) and Bank 2 (supposedly house). We traced back the lines to the switch and though the wires were marked 1 line for bank 1 and 2 for 2 (great system) they switched them before they got to the switch so Bank 1 was Bank 2. No wonder everything isn't working correctly! We'll have to get in there some day and rewire & mark freaking everything so we know it's right. Assuming that it is is getting us into trouble.

We heard a hail for us from Passage II with Jim D on the horn! Hey they're pulling in! Looks like the Jim, Jim, Jim show is about to begin!

There are lots of pelicans, gulls, sea lions hanging out here in the bay. Lots to look at and just enjoy the scenery. Boohoo! I just had my last persimmon. I'm going to miss those! We went for showers (worth every peso - 60 per persona) and went to the market.

We talked to Passage II about our respective journeys and made plans for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow with them.

11/27/09

First thing this morning, Jim's shooing a crab off our anchor bridle (at least it wasn't a rat). The amount of pelicans and cormorants flying around here is amazing...it's like a scene from the Birds. You can hear all of the wings flapping and it's kind of creepy!

We spent the morning sewing up the sun cover on our genoa and tried to figure out the hoist for the outboard that Wally gave us--couldn't figure it out so it's trussed up like a turkey until I can find the plans on the internet to get it mounted correctly.

We went to town and walked around for awhile. I got to see some fruit trees here -- peach, mango, guava -- though they are covered with a layers of dirt. We picked up more drinking water and I got to play with a cutie dog at the palapa.

Back at the boat we get to meet THE Enrique of Enrique's fuel dock. He brought us our gasoline in a killer power ski boat. He's a very nice guy---probably charms all the ladies!

We dinghied over to Passage II for dinner. It was really nice to sit and talk with Jim, Jim and Lucy and share our stories. Turkey dinner was fabulous and then Jim & I (my Jim, not the other two) headed home by paddle (outboard wouldn't start). It was a beautiful moonlit night for a paddle, so we headed to a dark shape across the water (we forgot to put a light on) with Passage II trying to spotlight the way for us. Just another day of cruising adventure!
Comments
Vessel Name: CharAnn
Vessel Make/Model: Newport 41s
Hailing Port: Newport, NY
Crew: Jim & Jeannine
About: We'll be spending our 2nd season cruising the Sea of Cortez. We had a great 1st full NY season from snow to snow! We can't wait to see what's in store for us this winter.
Extra:
Just so everyone is less confused, Jim is Phil & Phil is Jim. Jim is Jim in the boating community and with his family and long-time friends but he's Phil to me and my family and friends in NY. Though the boating community wishes he'd stick with Phil (there's too many Jim's and we haven't met one [...]

Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY