Living the Dream

14 October 2012
10 October 2012
22 September 2012
10 September 2012
01 September 2012
14 August 2012
12 August 2012
06 August 2012
20 July 2012
20 July 2012
04 July 2012
17 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
08 May 2012
24 April 2012
27 March 2012

Los Frailes Day 6,7

15 December 2009
Everyone in the anchorage is chatty on the radio this morning, following conversations up and down the channels and piping in with info. We finally were finally able to check our wind speed with someone else's and found out it was definitely off by about 5 knots or more. Everyone said doesn't it have an adjustment for calibration and when I said it's a 30 year old instrument everyone just laughed and said yep, probably easier to do the calculation than to mess with it!

A windsurfer started up off one of the boats in anchorage. What a sight! He had quite a good ride with the winds today and his girlfriend rowed ashore to help bring the equipment back.

Had our first encounter with food bugs! Gross! We were boiling some pasta for dinner and upon closer inspection, what I thought was spices from the sauce spoon was a lot of boiled up bugs! Ok overboard with that and start dinner again. Have to check our packaged food more carefully before we buy it.

12/16/09

The rays came by closer today to our boat. When they are swimming together, they look like a pod of shark. At least I can get pictures (well movies) of them, not like dolphin which I still don't have. Kind of a shock not to see dolphins in this bay with as much fish as we are seeing here.

We watched some kite surfers along the bay today and hikers going up the top of the rocks. Spent the day cleaning the boat some more today as the net confirms the winds should let up to 10-15 knots. As it looked like there was going to be a mass exodus tonight/tomorrow, I hailed everyone to say bye and it's been fun. Most of them piped back in with their byes as well. A very nice group of people.

I finally put up another fly trap (I'd put them in such a good place to get them easy that I had not been able to find them since Ensenada - bad trapper!) and it's like waiting for a pot of water to boil! Nothing so far!
Comments
Vessel Name: CharAnn
Vessel Make/Model: Newport 41s
Hailing Port: Newport, NY
Crew: Jim & Jeannine
About: We'll be spending our 2nd season cruising the Sea of Cortez. We had a great 1st full NY season from snow to snow! We can't wait to see what's in store for us this winter.
Extra:
Just so everyone is less confused, Jim is Phil & Phil is Jim. Jim is Jim in the boating community and with his family and long-time friends but he's Phil to me and my family and friends in NY. Though the boating community wishes he'd stick with Phil (there's too many Jim's and we haven't met one [...]

Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY