Living the Dream

14 October 2012
10 October 2012
22 September 2012
10 September 2012
01 September 2012
14 August 2012
12 August 2012
06 August 2012
20 July 2012
20 July 2012
04 July 2012
17 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
08 May 2012
24 April 2012
27 March 2012

Mazatlan Day 8, 9

26 December 2009 | N23 16 W106 28
Get up with the sun, start coffee and start pulling up anchor to head to Marina Mazatlan. Another nice day and we get there quickly. This harbor is quite interesting in that you think that you are in a river area that's all built up and it can't be deep enough (kept my eye glued to the depth gauge). There's hotels and building all along the canal and then the docks start (small then gradually larger).

We call Don & Judy so they can give us a hand. We are parking just a space away from Overheated, which should make them feel really good because we are looking rode hard and put away wet!

Nice as it is to see everyone and meet new people here, unfortunately the slip fee is actually 95c per foot (a bit more than we can afford) so our stay will be short (definitely not longer than 2 days). Another problem here is the water pressure is just a trickle so a major cleaning job we won't be doing. We went to where Neill on Sea Oak is staying and they are much cheaper 35c per foot but there aren't any openings! Oh well it's time to leave Mazatlan anyway!

Jim cleaned as much as he could (more tomorrow) and I did laundry (4 loads was 180 pesos roughly $15 but worth it to put all the clothes away and have somewhere to put dirty stuff). Neill came over for a visit for a few hours. Of course lots of people know him. Jim talked a lot to Darryl (& Rita) on Overheated who it turns out had been aboard CharAnn when she was Flame! Talk about a small world!

Sun has set and we get to enjoy some nice music at a wedding reception. Tomorrow is another day for more projects.

12/27/09

I went with Don & Judy and Rob to Mega to reprovision. It's a big store, nicer than Walmart but veggies and fruits are a bit more expensive than at the Mercado. Found out that the baggers are not paid much so you should tip them. Didn't know that! And on a Sunday, you can't buy alcohol after 2pm. Sounds like after church you'd want to be able to buy booze! Who knows!

Came back and unloaded groceries. Had to reorganize cabinets to get all of the food and stuff to fit. Jim was out with Neill for lunch and came back just raving on the burgers at this joint across from Holiday Inn (can't remember the name but it starts with a T). Then we met up with Don, Judy, Lucy and Jim (in respective dinks) and went cruising around the island inside the harbor. Really cool area, big mansions and lots of birds.

Went back up to the library here and found some more books so I am all restocked for the next month or maybe a little more (a book a day doesn't last too long!).
Comments
Vessel Name: CharAnn
Vessel Make/Model: Newport 41s
Hailing Port: Newport, NY
Crew: Jim & Jeannine
About: We'll be spending our 2nd season cruising the Sea of Cortez. We had a great 1st full NY season from snow to snow! We can't wait to see what's in store for us this winter.
Extra:
Just so everyone is less confused, Jim is Phil & Phil is Jim. Jim is Jim in the boating community and with his family and long-time friends but he's Phil to me and my family and friends in NY. Though the boating community wishes he'd stick with Phil (there's too many Jim's and we haven't met one [...]

Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY