Bookmark and Share
Living the Dream
San Blas to Chacala
01/05/2010, N21 09.757 W105 13.636

Taisho is out early (6am) but it's pretty low for us still and we have to go over to the marina to take on water. We waited until 9ish and hailed Crescendo to let him know we were coming (as we were unable to hail the marina). We pulled in and got water, washed off the boat and Jim went to get a 5 gallon jug of water. We visited with Crescendo for a bit and then left.

It was a very nice motoring day to Chacala, sunny but no winds. Charts and GPS are not correct for this area (as it shows us on land and we haven't anchored yet). The cover here is pretty with lots of palapas and people swimming along the shore. AND it's all other boats are here! We tried to hail port captain with no reply. 5 minutes after anchoring Jim is diving in the water! It's a nice clean bay and the water is really nice! So we swim for a bit before night falls and relax the rest of the evening.

San Blas Day 5

Taisho pulled in today so that put an end to our waffling about leaving today. We picked him up and went into town, a few drinks at the Social Club, lunch at one of the plaza vendors and then back to our boats. Bob called us with tide information for tomorrow as we'll be following him out. We got the boat ready for departure tomorrow.

San Blas Day 4

We checked in on the San Blas net and Norm was chatty with us today so maybe he's forgiven us for not being led in. We don't get him. He's Mr. Doom and Gloom and Oh Woes Me. The clouds have all left and it is nice and sunny.

We went into town and made it to the ruins across town this time. The counting house (1773) and La Marinera ( a church) had great views overlooking San Blas and the jungle. We can almost see our boat from up here (behind a few palm trees). In some ways this type of Mexico reminds me of NY so much. The ruins and abandoned or not finished homes make me think of the abandoned houses and farms where it doesn't take many season for the greenery to take over and hide everything. The citrus trees here are not manicured and it takes me a while to even recognize them as citrus trees (have not been able to pick up Asian Citrus Psyllids yet. I don't think fruit flies like being near the ocean so I may have to give up on trapping.

Back to the boat for more relaxing.. How horrible it is!

San Blas Day 3

We went back into town and checked out their Saturday flea market (pretty much like a swap meet at Ventura college but on a much smaller scale). It's raining on and off which feels pretty good (gets the bugs away and washes off some of the bug spray).

We tried to walk to the ruins today in the rain but we were getting too wet so we headed back to town and the Social Club and had a few beers. Poor Laura was hand tallying up sales from New Year's Eve.....had a tape malfunction! The said they have a page on FaceBook and we're on it! Have to check it out.

We head back to the boat and get to watch as a gentleman pulls a horse by panga to the opposite shore while his dogs are swimming across. Something new we haven't seen! And then he pulls out his saddle from the boat, saddles up and uses the horse to pull the panga up on shore! The dogs meanwhile are fighting a 4knot current and trying to swim ashore still. Cool! Jim gave me the Jeannine get up here....and the current sight to see is a fishing boat grounded itself pulling out. Jim said it was a hard one too. It took them a while, unloading water, switching weights and another ponga to push them off the bottom. Lots to watch here in the estuary.

San Blas Day 2

We stayed aboard all day and just relaxed and read. Jim tried to fix the outboard again (how many times is that Jim?) and of course in testing it out he went to the Marina and met Pete on Delphis who he chatted for quite a while with before coming back to the boat. I never have to worry that we won't be meeting new people unless Jim's sick and can't talk!

It's a very grey day and the clouds are coming in. Looks like rain and the humidity is getting worse. There are a few boats here and hardly any in the marina. Now we know why! It is sooooo buggy here! Even with layers of bug repellent, screening and bug candles they are everywhere! Someone said it's because of the extreme high tides but geez we look like we have the measles!

I stayed up past midnight reading and got to enjoy a thunder and lightning show (but no rain yet).

Mantanchen Bay to San Blas
12/31/2009, N21 32.404 W105 17.607

We started our move to the estuary in San Blas early so we could maximize the high tides. Captn Norm on VHF 22 tried to make us wait until someone could lead us through but that just irritated Jim to no end. He got on the horn and said if it was that dangerous that we couldn't center up in the channel to get to the anchorage then we should just go back to the bay. Norm gave us new information and we were ok to enter (his kingdom?). We had a nice slack tide (not that we knew it ripped in here) to anchor in. We did anchor watch for a bit and then headed to town. We tied and locked down the dinghy to a rock near a fisherman name of Manuel who was repairing his net. What a job that is!

Town was very nice, small and not many people considering it is New Year's Eve day. We stopped by Third Day after coming back from town and chatted with them for a bit (we saw them in Mazatlan harbor). Then our power boat neighbor Moon Angel stopped by for a chat. Looks like most of the boaters are headed to town for the Eve and we'll be headed back out.

This time we parked our dinghy at Peppi's (the dinghy guy) so that he could watch it for the evening (for 40 pesos). We headed back to the plaza and sat down in the San Blas Social Club and had a few drinks. What a nice place.....owners are Americans and it feels like it's right out of a Bogey movie. It was black and white night and they all dressed up....looked sooo nice and very unexpected! Left there to get dinner (street tacos) and desert (chocolate cake) and then back for drinks. What time is it? We only had 5 more hours to go! Needless to say even with a few more walks around the plaza we headed back before the end of the year. Got back to the boat - yep it was only 11! Well we made it close enough and we were awake when the fireworks went off at midnight.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs