Living the Dream

14 October 2012
10 October 2012
22 September 2012
10 September 2012
01 September 2012
14 August 2012
12 August 2012
06 August 2012
20 July 2012
20 July 2012
04 July 2012
17 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
08 May 2012
24 April 2012
27 March 2012

La Cruz Day 7

15 January 2010
Up really early (did we really sleep?) while it was still dark out. We heard a lot of boaters start chattering about the crappy night and had some who had had it and started in for the marina.

Once we had some day light, we could see that it was nasty out. Jim's exact comment was "ugly as a $2 hooker!" It was black clouds and the seas and swells were every which way. We had planned to go into the marina for a couple of days at first light but of course the winds picked up so we had to wait.

It didn't take long for it to get exciting here in the anchorage! Water spouts started forming in the bay! At first it was two of them partially formed and then they fizzled out. Then a few more single ones kept going for 10 minutes each before they fizzled out. Boats were leaving the anchorage right and left heading to the marina.

We started getting it together and started to raised the anchor when another one, really big one, started again. So Jim lowered the anchor chain again....not running unless we know it's not coming our way. This one made a lot of people nervous! WindRyder is hailing us to come in but we said we had to wait for it to pass. The anchorage was chattering away and then weather guy Mike started in advising us how far away it was and what it's direction was. Mike said that in the 12 years he's been here there has NEVER been water spouts in the winter season (just the summer)! Looks like we are definitely having the full Mexican experience!

Everyone was given instructions to batten down like you where headed into a hurricane! Crap we haven't done a hurricane and we don't want to! As I'm taking video of the twister, Jim is running around tying everything down and we're throwing everything loose down below. This one lasted quite a while but thankfully was headed east of us toward Nuevo Vallarta! We pulled up the anchor and headed in with a dozen other boats.....good day for the marina!

Everyone was out to greet us on the dock! Looks like we're having a "we survived water spouts" dock party tonight. We cleaned the decks and one side of the boat (the other side for another day) and put everything away that had been tossed below during spout watch. Paid for slip and took garbage off. Dock party dwindled to boat party on Andanzas but it was still a good time.

Thank you Linda for the water spout picture! (All I have is video....really cool but not a pic for the log!)
Comments
Vessel Name: CharAnn
Vessel Make/Model: Newport 41s
Hailing Port: Newport, NY
Crew: Jim & Jeannine
About: We'll be spending our 2nd season cruising the Sea of Cortez. We had a great 1st full NY season from snow to snow! We can't wait to see what's in store for us this winter.
Extra:
Just so everyone is less confused, Jim is Phil & Phil is Jim. Jim is Jim in the boating community and with his family and long-time friends but he's Phil to me and my family and friends in NY. Though the boating community wishes he'd stick with Phil (there's too many Jim's and we haven't met one [...]

Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY