Living the Dream

14 October 2012
10 October 2012
22 September 2012
10 September 2012
01 September 2012
14 August 2012
12 August 2012
06 August 2012
20 July 2012
20 July 2012
04 July 2012
17 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
08 May 2012
24 April 2012
27 March 2012

Didn't quite make Mazatlan :(

09 March 2010
We said bye to Lucy & Jim on Passage II as we left Chacala. Unfortunately, WindRyder did not make it up so we didn't get to see Mike & Julie from Slow Ride who came to visit from Ventura. Then we missed Craig and Eva on South Trail as they were leaving Mantanchen Bay headed to Chacala and points south as we were heading north to Mazatlan. Got to at least say hi on the radio as we passed each other and we did show up on Craig's new radar (goody).

A bit windy and waves a bit choppy but it was supposed to go calm especially near land so we kept at it. Got past Isla Isabella and just a bit farther north and the wind just did not let up all night long. We made 5 miles in 5 hours! So with that calculation (we still had 70 some miles to go), we were not going to have enough fuel to get to Mazatlan and decided to turn around (with our tails between our legs) and head back (more than 40 miles) to San Blas/Mantanchen Bay (otherwise known as 'bugville'). To say we were tired was putting it mildly and we kept hoping we were just having a bad dream that we were in Mantanchen and not Mazatlan. Oh well....

So we spent a couple of days in Mantanchen then moved into the estuary to get fuel. Fuel dock was full so we had to tie up at the marina's fuel dock (and pay 13% tax on the fuel--yippee).

We anchored in the estuary again for a few days, met some new people, reaquainted ourselves with some of the familiar faces from last time, and shared Norm stories we'd heard since we left. Made a few trips into town for provisions and just to walk about. Enjoyed the unusual sights on the river.

Bugs, oh the bugs.....bit up again and scratching all the time. But waiting for a better weather window than last time. And we got it about 6 days after the first try.

Made the second Mazatlan trip with no problems, low to no winds and a few friends within hailing distance the whole time (Andanzas had pulled into the Bay the night before and left a few hours after us the same day).
Comments
Vessel Name: CharAnn
Vessel Make/Model: Newport 41s
Hailing Port: Newport, NY
Crew: Jim & Jeannine
About: We'll be spending our 2nd season cruising the Sea of Cortez. We had a great 1st full NY season from snow to snow! We can't wait to see what's in store for us this winter.
Extra:
Just so everyone is less confused, Jim is Phil & Phil is Jim. Jim is Jim in the boating community and with his family and long-time friends but he's Phil to me and my family and friends in NY. Though the boating community wishes he'd stick with Phil (there's too many Jim's and we haven't met one [...]

Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY