Living the Dream

14 October 2012
10 October 2012
22 September 2012
10 September 2012
01 September 2012
14 August 2012
12 August 2012
06 August 2012
20 July 2012
20 July 2012
04 July 2012
17 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
08 May 2012
24 April 2012
27 March 2012

Cuestacomantes

14 February 2010 | 19 13.018N 104 44.656W
We had to check out the famous and no longer secret "secret anchorage". For trying to zoom north, we're not getting very far, very fast. But what a great anchorage. The water the first day we were here was just crystal clear. Jim watched the anchor drop all the way to the bottom in 25 feet of water!

We spent a few days working here. With the water so clear, it was easy to tell that we'd let the bottom go too long without a cleaning. We had BARNACLES! So I spent two days with an extendable pole and the back of a brush knocking the damn things off. Thank god they came off fairly easy but we couldn't get the shaft and prop done (Jim used up his air time trying to dive on the rudder). This is definitely a harder job without dive gear!

As I was cleaning the bottom, a damn jack crevalle scared the crap out of me! I thought he was a freaking shark (just saw him out of the corner of my eye). Then he brought friends and kept circling around me. They were all 2 to 3 feet long. Jim got to see them the second day of bottom cleaning.

Jim & I got to do some nice snorkeling along the rocks. Nice fish and a few we hadn't seen before. We also had a nice dinner with Gary & Cindy on Distant Shores. Cindy is another crafter and makes lovely quilts and is quite the cook. I shared my secret jello desert -- jello in jelly jars! Perfect for us cruisers with small refrigerators and easy servings to bring for a dinner.

Sadly we had to say a final goodbye to Denny & Oriol on Dolce Vita who left and are headed south to El Salvador and points south.
Comments
Vessel Name: CharAnn
Vessel Make/Model: Newport 41s
Hailing Port: Newport, NY
Crew: Jim & Jeannine
About: We'll be spending our 2nd season cruising the Sea of Cortez. We had a great 1st full NY season from snow to snow! We can't wait to see what's in store for us this winter.
Extra:
Just so everyone is less confused, Jim is Phil & Phil is Jim. Jim is Jim in the boating community and with his family and long-time friends but he's Phil to me and my family and friends in NY. Though the boating community wishes he'd stick with Phil (there's too many Jim's and we haven't met one [...]

Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY