Living the Dream

14 October 2012
10 October 2012
22 September 2012
10 September 2012
01 September 2012
14 August 2012
12 August 2012
06 August 2012
20 July 2012
20 July 2012
04 July 2012
17 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
08 May 2012
24 April 2012
27 March 2012

Wacky "summer"

01 July 2010
Hi everyone! Well it is July 1st and that should mean we are in full blown summer mode BUT this is NY and the past 2 nights have been in the 40s and the days only in the 60s. It's definitely our "winter" time right now.

We have had the strangest weather this summer. There was a 5.0 earthquake up in Canada and I felt it here (people thought I was crazy......I said just you watch the news). Then just two days ago an actual tornado touched down in Herkimer. Earthquakes and tornadoes......are we really in NY?

The weeds sure haven't minded all the wet and cold we've been getting. It took us 4 hours to weed the garden yesterday! It looks like a garden again! And we discovered we have yellow crook neck squash and zucchini started already! We did have some lettuce but the varmits got to it quicker than we did. And we have lots of tomatoes started already. We're competing with our neighbor who keeps telling us our garden is weedy and our plants are small.......I sure want to be the first one to hand out a ripe tomato straight to his door!

The black caps have been delicious so far, just a handful at a time. I'm sure if I saved all of them instead of eating them every day, I'd have enough to make jam with. But what's the fun in that?

I've been helping keep my dad busy trying to sell his junk. He could open a used store -- furniture, books, etc -- stuff that tenants leave for him to clean out. Thank god for craigslist! Gives him something to do and it gets the junk out!

We are still trying to pick up work. Only had one floor job so far and are keeping our fingers crossed that it will turn into more. I'm applying here, there and everywhere local to pick up work. You sure can't tell the economy is doing well here in NY. At least real estate is moving, a sort of good sign.

Sorry I don't have a new picture for you guys to see. I didn't expect to be updating the blog today but managed to get Phil to drop me off at the library for a few hours to get some stuff done.

Looks like tomorrow it's back to my farmer roots! We'll be helping a farmer get hay in tomorrow afternoon with my sister and her boyfriend. I can't wait to show Phil how PLEASANT hay chafe is!

We hope everyone has a wonderful Independence Day!
Comments
Vessel Name: CharAnn
Vessel Make/Model: Newport 41s
Hailing Port: Newport, NY
Crew: Jim & Jeannine
About: We'll be spending our 2nd season cruising the Sea of Cortez. We had a great 1st full NY season from snow to snow! We can't wait to see what's in store for us this winter.
Extra:
Just so everyone is less confused, Jim is Phil & Phil is Jim. Jim is Jim in the boating community and with his family and long-time friends but he's Phil to me and my family and friends in NY. Though the boating community wishes he'd stick with Phil (there's too many Jim's and we haven't met one [...]

Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY