Living the Dream

14 October 2012
10 October 2012
22 September 2012
10 September 2012
01 September 2012
14 August 2012
12 August 2012
06 August 2012
20 July 2012
20 July 2012
04 July 2012
17 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
08 May 2012
24 April 2012
27 March 2012

Summer time

26 August 2010
Well it's been an interesting summer here in NY. Muggy, buggy & lots of rain!

We've managed one creek trip so far and hope to do a few more before we have to leave. It's so pretty....hope to post a picture soon.

Our first big garden has been overtaken by crab grass and we have given up trying to weed it! We have been overrun with tomatoes (what would you expect with 40 plants plus seedlings that ALL came up)! So we are now drying them and Phil is making some of them nuclear hot. He just can't get enough. We're still getting green beans, some squash & cucumbers and corn. Not bad for our first veggie garden.

I made 2 gallons of 2 kinds of refrigerator pickles for Phil. He's become a pickle freak! He likes the dill kind best so far. Hopefully he likes one of the batches otherwise someone will get a present!

The sunflowers managed to survive the rodents and the weeds. I think I'll just stick to them since none of the other flower seeds came up. The weeds are too thick and fast growing.

I've been picking black berries and elderberries. The black berries take forever to pick --- getting through the high weeds in the field and untangling myself from all the thorns! So long time picking, easy to process.
The elderberries are really easy to pick (just clip and bring the branch home) but take forever to get them off the stems and then look for all the stems that you didn't get undone. Wheeeeeewwwww! Add to the fun of picking berries are bugs. I have to coat down in bug repellent because of mosquitoes! Even when I'm covered in long pants, long sleeved shirt my hands get bit up if I don't. But it's all worth it when we make jam. We already have one batch of black berries, black caps and elderberries. Yum yum!

We hope everyone has been having a great summer! We are definitely enjoying our shore time!

Comments
Vessel Name: CharAnn
Vessel Make/Model: Newport 41s
Hailing Port: Newport, NY
Crew: Jim & Jeannine
About: We'll be spending our 2nd season cruising the Sea of Cortez. We had a great 1st full NY season from snow to snow! We can't wait to see what's in store for us this winter.
Extra:
Just so everyone is less confused, Jim is Phil & Phil is Jim. Jim is Jim in the boating community and with his family and long-time friends but he's Phil to me and my family and friends in NY. Though the boating community wishes he'd stick with Phil (there's too many Jim's and we haven't met one [...]

Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY