Living the Dream

14 October 2012
10 October 2012
22 September 2012
10 September 2012
01 September 2012
14 August 2012
12 August 2012
06 August 2012
20 July 2012
20 July 2012
04 July 2012
17 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
08 May 2012
24 April 2012
27 March 2012

Farmers gettin' down

25 August 2010
We went to one of our local farmer's shindigs recently. My sister-in-law Suzie works at quite a large farm in the Town of Stark. They milk over 800 cows. That may not seem like a lot but when most farmers are milking maybe 50......what do you think now? They invite all the neighbors, family, friends, workers to this barbeque and everyone brings something but they supply the BBQ meat (beef, pork and turkey this year) and the beer! God bless farmers!

We can now add another oddity to our "have eaten it" list. We had oysters at the BBQ......yep deep fried oysters. Still thinking seafood.....uh uh.....try Rocky Mountain Oysters! Yep we had deep friend and breaded bull nuts. Not bad really. We had quite a few of them. Just add it to our "we'd eat it again" list just like the goat tacos!

Here's another funny thing we had at this party. I've hardly ever seen sea planes here in rural NY but guess what.....we got buzzed at the party a few times by a sea plane. I guess it was a neighbor checking out the party before he came down. Got a love the locals!

Well it may be rural NY and small town is putting it lightly, but we still have parades! We went to our first Newport parade and field days (held every year). They had quite a turnout with 14 fire companies from around the area. Also in the parade were antique tractors, clown cars, local vets (military not animal but why not the other vets?) organizations, 4H, horses garbage collectors, town plows, local community floats, politicians trying to get your vote for the local judge position and of course redneck souped up, pickup trucks! I'm surprised the local milk trucks weren't in it too!

The parade lasted for over an hour - quite an accomplishment. Though there was only one band - a shriners band from Utica area. We definitely need to get more music stuff in next year. I think I have an idea---- maybe we'll enter a float next year! I'm thinking of borrowing a neighbors pink, yes barbie pink, hay wagon and get all the women farmers in the wagon with some yeah baby I'm a girl music. How's that sound? It would definitely make you remember our job sign huh?

This picture is our current Herkimer County Dairy Princess and her court. We met her at the Fairfield field days --- I had to introduce Phil since he's never met a princess! And of course, I had to reminisce just a little to see how much things have changed since I was in the court (just a Maid not a princess and that position has been PC'd to Ambassador - can you believe it?)

We went to field days after with my nieces & a fiance and had fair food and beer! They left early and Phil and I danced the night away and closed out the band at 11. Just about boater's midnight around here too!
Comments
Vessel Name: CharAnn
Vessel Make/Model: Newport 41s
Hailing Port: Newport, NY
Crew: Jim & Jeannine
About: We'll be spending our 2nd season cruising the Sea of Cortez. We had a great 1st full NY season from snow to snow! We can't wait to see what's in store for us this winter.
Extra:
Just so everyone is less confused, Jim is Phil & Phil is Jim. Jim is Jim in the boating community and with his family and long-time friends but he's Phil to me and my family and friends in NY. Though the boating community wishes he'd stick with Phil (there's too many Jim's and we haven't met one [...]

Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY