Living the Dream

14 October 2012
10 October 2012
22 September 2012
10 September 2012
01 September 2012
14 August 2012
12 August 2012
06 August 2012
20 July 2012
20 July 2012
04 July 2012
17 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
08 May 2012
24 April 2012
27 March 2012

The visa Marathon

14 December 2010
We're new to the Mexico scene still so here's our latest adventure and cruising lesson!

We waited til Monday after we got here (3 days) to go to Immigracion. As we are leaving the yard we started talking to someone and they said Immigration is crazy because of the holiday and they shut down earlier that usual (at noon). Well crap it's 11:30 so we'll have to go tomorrow.

Tuesday we head out to immigration with other boaters who did not get their visa when they drove across (the monday before). Immigration says that they don't have the forms (it will take a week to get them and a form fee of $20 per person). Then because we are not at the border there is a penalty ($100 per person). This is of course not including the $20 per person visa fee. Double crap! Our friends Nancy & Greg on Festima Lente decide to drive back to KM 21 instead of paying the fines and let us come with them (thank god).

Wednesday we start out at 7am and get to KM 21 (4 hours later) and do the Visa dance. Actually a very short procedure (though they could use the map system or number sysem like in Ensenada). We stop for lunch on the way back and get back to the yard after dark. Wheeew what a day but it was much more fun than having to take a bus back. Looks like Festima Lente is staying in the Sea as well so it's good to have gotten to know them much better as I'm sure we'll be meeting up with them again as soon as we all get out of the yard.

So the moral of this story is stop at the border! I'm sure next year I'll be tellling the office people and the bus driver repeatedly VISA por favor!
Comments
Vessel Name: CharAnn
Vessel Make/Model: Newport 41s
Hailing Port: Newport, NY
Crew: Jim & Jeannine
About: We'll be spending our 2nd season cruising the Sea of Cortez. We had a great 1st full NY season from snow to snow! We can't wait to see what's in store for us this winter.
Extra:
Just so everyone is less confused, Jim is Phil & Phil is Jim. Jim is Jim in the boating community and with his family and long-time friends but he's Phil to me and my family and friends in NY. Though the boating community wishes he'd stick with Phil (there's too many Jim's and we haven't met one [...]

Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY