Living the Dream

14 October 2012
10 October 2012
22 September 2012
10 September 2012
01 September 2012
14 August 2012
12 August 2012
06 August 2012
20 July 2012
20 July 2012
04 July 2012
17 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
08 May 2012
24 April 2012
27 March 2012

Tsunami again!

12 March 2011
Well geez another tsunami year. We're getting the reports of the affects of the tsunami from the Japanese earthquake yesterday. Here in the Sea of Cortez, we didn't hear anyone who noticed anything unusual. The mainland side reported big swells and influx of large tides. The lagoon in Barra is closed because the tides took out a water main that crosses the channel. There are 7 boats stuck in the lagoon and who know when that will be fixed.

We motored all the way to San Marcial Rock light and then sailed into Agua Verde. As Jim is dropping the main, his boat hook goes overboard. Crap! So I'm trying to do the back and forth trying to get close to it and it is bouncing up an down in the water. Jim thought it was going to stay down so he dove for it and we got them both back aboard and dropped the hook over in the east bight. Wheewwww!

We kayaked to the beach behind us (nothing exciting) and talked to our neighbors on Warren Peace for a bit, then kayaked around the point to the next beach. All the beaches are covered with ray remains and shark heads. I should have taken a picture but it's such a sad sight. Have the fisherman always done this kind of harvesting or is it because the fishing has been exceptionally bad this year? Lots of starfish and sea urchins on the beaches here.

We still haven't walked the north beaches or tried the goat cheese. Guess that will be goals for next season.

We were fortunate and saw the re-entry of the shuttle from our anchorage. It was such a cloudy night that we were happy to see as much of it as we did.

Comments
Vessel Name: CharAnn
Vessel Make/Model: Newport 41s
Hailing Port: Newport, NY
Crew: Jim & Jeannine
About: We'll be spending our 2nd season cruising the Sea of Cortez. We had a great 1st full NY season from snow to snow! We can't wait to see what's in store for us this winter.
Extra:
Just so everyone is less confused, Jim is Phil & Phil is Jim. Jim is Jim in the boating community and with his family and long-time friends but he's Phil to me and my family and friends in NY. Though the boating community wishes he'd stick with Phil (there's too many Jim's and we haven't met one [...]

Who: Jim & Jeannine
Port: Newport, NY