Profile

Who: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
09 April 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
10 March 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
10 March 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
09 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa

Alas, No Stop at Suwarrow Atoll + Asleep at the Wheel

02 September 2009 | Suwarrow Atoll, Mid Pacific Ocean
Kimball Corson
This is an aerial photograph, courtesy of NASA again, of the Suwarrow atoll in the Cook Islands. It is very isolated by distance from other islands and atolls. You can see the entrance and the boat maneuvers called for to get in safely. Unfortunately, entry should only be attempted in calm seas because of breaking waves and heavy currents in the pass. There are many wrecks on this atoll and a few in the pass. Once in, the anchorage, which is just around the corner to the north of the pass, is safe enough, but only in regular trade winds. Getting in and staying at anchor safely - there were the rubs.

I arrived at Suwarrow and the seas were anything but calm. Waves were thirteen feet high and breaking over the boat. From far away, the entrance looked a mess. I had been sailing under only double reefed main and doing from six to seven knots for the last two days, where 7.89 knots is my hull speed . I backed away from the atoll and downloaded the current NOAA grib weather files for the next three days. (My current one only had a day of forecasting left on it.) The heavy winds and seas were forecast to continue for at least three more days. Reluctantly, I abandoned trying to visit the atoll and set sail for American Samoa, some 480 nautical miles away. Fortunately, Suwarrow is almost directly in line with American Samoa from Bora Bora, so I haven't gone much out of my way.

A minor disappointment, but a disappointment nevertheless; however, I think I made the right call. Better safe than sunk. Seas rarely sink sailboats. Mistaken attempts at landfalls do. Just like most boat accidents don't occur on open water, but in marinas. I have had some heavy weather sailing in the South Pacific this year. That is now two atolls I have missed due to such weather, Rangiroa in the Tuamotu Archipelago and Suwarow in the Cook Islands.

P.S. for sailors

I notice that NOAA grib files for most weather models, but especially the big GFS model, tend to underestimate heavy winds and overestimate light winds for the Pacific. Anyone with similar experience?

Asleep at the Wheel (8/28/09)

Last night I came within four and half miles of a very large, modern tuna fishing boat with many of its deck lights on, possibly a part of the US tuna fleet operating out of American Samoa. This was the first boat I had seen for days. Its crew was asleep at the wheel. They probably had the boat on autopilot and no one posted on watch. Not only did they not have their radar on (I have a CARD system and can tell), but they also did not have anyone monitoring their VHF radio, either. I tried to hail them repeatedly on various designated channels, but got nada. They were incommunicado. They did not even know I was there, although I had COLREG navigation lights on (COLREG = international collision avoidance regulations).

They were like a ghost ship traveling along at a fixed speed. Fortunately, we were not on collision courses, but to come within four and a half miles is close enough, especially considering the size of the Pacific, which is significantly larger than the combined area of North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia and Antarctica. No small puddle.

You have to pay attention on the oceans because sometimes others don't.

Comments
Vessel Name: Altaira
Vessel Make/Model: A Fair Weather Mariner 39 is a fast (PHRF 132), heavily ballasted (43%), high-aspect (6:1), stiff, comfortable, offshore performance cruiser by Bob Perry that goes to wind well (30 deg w/ good headway) and is also good up and down the Beaufort scale.
Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
Crew: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
About:
Kimball Corson: I am a 75 year old solo sailor, by choice. However, I did take on a personable, but high maintenance female kitten, now a full grown cat, named KiKiPoo when she is sweet, or KatKatPo after she has just killed something like a bird or bat. [...]
Extra:
Although I was a lawyer and practiced law with good success for thirty years, creating significant new law, I never really believed in the law, the politics of law or in the over reaching self-interest of most lawyers I met. Too much exposure to Nietzsche and other good and seriously thoughtful [...]
Altaira's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

Profile

Who: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ